By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witcher 3 Was A Huge Commercial Success, But Cyberpunk 2077 Can Be A Much Bigger One

With work on The Witcher 3 having ended a while back, CD Projekt Red is now fully focused on the development of their next big role-playing game, Cyberpunk 2077. Despite the huge commercial success achieved by the latest adventure of Geralt of Rivia, co-founder Michał Kicińsk feels that the upcoming game can be an even bigger success for a few reasons.

Speaking with Polish website Gazeta, Michał Kicińsk revealed how CDPR didn’t expect The Witcher 3 to be so successful. At the same time, he mentioned how there’s still room for growth in this regard, with the Polish team aiming to catch up with the largest developers.

"I think that none of us expected such an unbelievable success of the game and CD Projekt itself. We’re talking about a game, that has pretty much won every single award and accolade that you can in this industry.

If we’re to expect something more, it would be even better sales of the game. My brother Adam (CD Projekt’s CEO) spoke about it at one of the investors conferences. The Witcher 3 was of course a gigantic commercial success, but in terms of sales there’s still a lot of room for growth. CD Projekt’s ambition is to catch up with the largest developers in the world in that area."

Michał Kicińsk feels like Cyberpunk 2077 will be the game that will help CDPR achieve their ambition, as the futuristic world and the popularity of the Cyberpunk universe are much less nichè than a fantasy world like the one of The Witcher series.

"I think it’s absolutely realistic. “The Witcher” was a fantastic material for a game, but it also constraint us. For startes, we’re working with a story set in a fantasy world. Secondary, we’re promoting a brand, that was mainly known in Central-Eastern Europe, and not in the west.

I’m confident, that Cyberpunk 2077 can be a much bigger commercial success than “The Witcher 3”. Futuristic world of the Cyberpunk is much closer to what we know from our daily lives. It’s also much more popular, massive as you can tell by its presence in the films, books, comics and games. You have to remember, that fantasy is a much more niche topic.

I believe, that in case of Cyberpunk, CD Projekt can fight not only for prestigious awards and accolades, but also for a huge commercial success. It’s hard to achieve both of those in our industry, but it’s perfectly doable, as shown by Rockstar and, in the past, Blizzard."

Michał Kicińsk has also been asked about the Cyberpunk 2077 release date, but CDPR couldn’t confirm anything. He did reiterate that the team is aiming to announce the release date not too far from the actual launch, hinting at a short but intense marketing campaign.

"Ha ha ha… I know as much as any other person, so I just patiently wait. However, Adam has clearly stated during one of the conferences, that the period between the release date announcement and the launch itself may be very short. Creating a short – lets say 6 month – but intensive marketing campaign is a hard to achieve ideal. Only well respected companies that have appropriate financial resources can pull it off. It’s sort of a communication blitzkrieg. You have to be well prepared, but you can win a lot."

Cyberpunk 2077 launches on a yet to be confirmed release date. 

Source: https://wccftech.com/witcher-3-huge-commercial-success-cyberpunk-2077-can-much-bigger-success-according-co-founder/

Around the Network

they announced this way too early, surely there must be something big at E3

as for commercial success, i would be surprised if this did better than Witcher 3, which had a foundation already to build on

I hope so. And i hope its going to be good. Cyberpunk and sci-fi in general feel undermanned. And the upcoming ME:A has 'huuuge dud' written all over it.

Hunting Season is done...

Yeah, they produced the CG trailer, announced it then put most their staff on Witcher 3 stuff. I hope something of this gets shows at E3.

Hmm, pie.

Anything CD Project Red does has my attention, I loved all 3 Witcher games and their support of each of these games after release has been beyond amazing.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network

Fantasy is niche? What really? I thought things like Harry Potter and LotR were some of the biggest grossing franchises lately

Really depends. Will it have weapon durability?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I think it'll be a next generation game tbh.

I think it will be released in 2077

I don't see it happening, The Witcher was a sequel and it was the next big wrpg after Skyrim.

Whatever cypber punk is, being a third person shooter it won't have the same effect.