By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Breaks Nintendo Sales Records in Americas & Japanese Sales ~330k+

Tagged games:

Do we believe Reggie through the NYT through The Verge?

Yes. 126 50.81%

No. 80 32.26%

Who's Reggie? 42 16.94%

Total:248

No matter what good news we get, there will be a way to make it bad news.

Best launch in several years? "Well, several (in literal terms) means three or more. No console launced in three years so it must be bad."

Best Nintendo launch, ever? "Well, the WiiU sold X million, initially."

Is it so hard to just say "Good job, Nintendo?" and wait until things actually start looking bad before saying they're doomed!? We have no bad news, yet.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

Best launch in several years? "Well, several (in literal terms) means three or more. No console launced in three years so it must be bad."

Is it so hard to just say "Good job, Nintendo?" and wait until things actually start looking bad before saying they're doomed!? We have no bad news, yet.

Similarly, don't you think people should wait for numbers before they say "great/good/amazing news"? Why do you think Nintendo is refusing to give out sales numbers for the US?

Lawlight said:
d21lewis said:

Similarly, don't you think people should wait for numbers before they say "great/good/amazing news"? Why do you think Nintendo is refusing to give out sales numbers for the US?

I can't argue with that.

Personally, I'm going wait until I see something concrete before jumping the gun. But where's the fun in that?

*looks sternly at camera*

I hate fun.

Drakrami said:
So Wii sold 600,000 in 8 days. So I'd say less than 400,000 in 2 days?

So if Switch sold more than Wii for the first 2 launch days. Switch sold more than 400,000

Not that impressive. Ps4 1million sold day 1. We all knew Switch was going to sell well right off the gun.

Did we know it was the going to be the fastest selling Nintendo console in NOA history?

Otter said:
Drakrami said:
So Wii sold 600,000 in 8 days. So I'd say less than 400,000 in 2 days?

So if Switch sold more than Wii for the first 2 launch days. Switch sold more than 400,000

Not that impressive. Ps4 1million sold day 1. We all knew Switch was going to sell well right off the gun.

Did we know it was the going to be the fastest selling Nintendo console in NOA history?

Fastest selling in the first 2 days...

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Otter said:

Fastest selling in the first 2 days...

And the above statement and question remain both true and unaswered. No other Nintendo system in NOA history has sold so many units in such a small space of time.

Lawlight said:
d21lewis said:

"Verge reports that The Switch outsold any console launch in Nintendo's history in its first two days. BoTW also outsold any non-pack in game for any Nintendo launch as well."

Unless we're assuming the report to be false, I think its pretty deserving of a recognition and praise as an imediate accomplishment. No one is saying "150m confirmed!!!"

Intrinsic said:
RJ_Sizzle said:

If it's better than other Nintendo systems, then that's the impressive metric. Million day one launches for consoles aren't going to be a regular thing. It's doing good in the US for now, in March at that. 

Please explain... why won't they be a regular thing? PS4 did it, XB1 did it.... and both did better than their previous console launches, which did better than their previous console launces..... so what metric other than nintendo not doing it do you have to suggest that it wouldn't be a normal thing.

And this march nonsense again...... ok, lets just settle it. Are you aware that the PS2 relead on march 4th  in japan? And sold over 900k consols (980k to be exact) by march 5th. 24hrs after launch? In just one market.

So what exactly are you trying to say?

About the 'March nonsense'! While I do agree some people are putting too much weight on that reason why it will be nowhere near PS4 launch numbers but it still will have some sort of effect releasing in March. There's no doubt that Switch would of sold more launching in November rather than March but by how much is another thing. 

Miyamotoo said:

Off Course that is matter, in holiday season console are not purchased only buy hard core fans, beaucuse that what people do in holiday season, spend a lotsa money and buying lotsa things.

Agree that isn't really hard to understand that fact.

And you are still just refusing to see reason....... Yes sales are better during the holidays. No that doesn't matter when looking at a console launch. For one simple reason. limited supply. It doesn't matter if 10M people are itching to buy something when only 2M of it is available. It doesn't matter if the console was released in march or in december when only 2M of them are being made.

The holiday shoppers you are talking about are not the ones that has pre-ordred the NS since october last year. They are not the ones buying BotW before they even have a chance of buying teh NS. Thats just not how it works. It just doesn't matter what time of the year its released. Stock is still limited either way. Thats why right now the thing is outta stock everywhere. 

Nautilus said:

And why cant we celebrate a good Nintendo news for a change?

I never said that this is confirmation that the Switch will be a success, but that is the first step to be successful(hence the might in my last post).Really, Nintendo simply cant catch a break.

I never said you said it was gonna be a success. I never said it won't. And pls drop that nonsense, this has nothing to do with celbrating good news or what not. That kinda petty shit is exactly what turns every simple discussion into a fan war.

All I am saying and have been saying is that what time of the year a console launches at doesn't matter. This overly sensitive nonsense talking as if me simply pointing that out is somehow slanting nintendo is just uncalled for. i have also said that to me its sales performance is only expected. And that what is more important is how it does through the rest of the year.

A lot of stuff do great right off the gates but that doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. If my pointing that out somehow to you seems like I am somehow throwing shade at a successful launch (which is what this is cause they went through the stock they made available) then I am sorry. But thats not what thisis at all.

SWORDF1SH said:

About the 'March nonsense'! While I do agree some people are putting too much weight on that reason why it will be nowhere near PS4 launch numbers but it still will have some sort of effect releasing in March. There's no doubt that Switch would of sold more launching in November rather than March but by how much is another thing. 

That is true but it also doesn't matter. As i keep saying this is a console launch. 

There are only so many consoles nintendo can make for a launch. And there are a lot of reasons why that is. 

Console launches are more impacted by available stock than by the time of release. I am just shocked that this is a concept that seems to be lost on many here all of a sudden.

Look at it this way, the PS4 was $400 in november 2013. And it remained out of stock/hard to find till around May 2014. It was still $400. If between nov 2013 and may 2014 it had sold through 8M consoles worlwide, all the while with stores not being able to keep them on shelves cause once new stock comes in its being sold. What that means is that if on launch day sony had 7M consoles available worldwide, there were 7M people willing to buy the console on day one at full price. But the reason they couldn't do that was because they couldn't make that many all at once. 

Thats the same thing thats happenning now with the NS. If you could walk into a store right no and see a pile of NS consoles on the floor somewhere, then yes; we could say releasing in the fall could have helped. But the thing is sold out everywhere. people are still pre-ordering for it. That means its launch has been in no way impacted by the time of the year it was released.