By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Breaks Nintendo Sales Records in Americas & Japanese Sales ~330k+

Tagged games:

Do we believe Reggie through the NYT through The Verge?

Yes. 126 50.81%

No. 80 32.26%

Who's Reggie? 42 16.94%

Total:248
Miyamotoo said:
Intrinsic said:

LAUNCH.

Yes, Wii U had launch at holiday season, time of year when people are much easier spending their money.

with this great switch number (330k +) how will be Zelda BoW ?

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Miyamotoo said:

In any case it's better than what done best selling Nintendo console in history at holiday season. How you can say that is "not looking very good for Nintendo"!?

Sources saying that Wii sold 400k in two days at holiday season, so Switch sold more than that in March.

Can I see a source for the Wii selling 400k in the first 2 days?

Sorry, my bad, actually Wii U sold 400 k in 2 days, Wii sold more than that and Switch sold more than Wii.

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-tech-desk/nintendo-says-new-wii-u-effectively-sold-out-after-first-week-of-release?__lsa=0aa5-e08c

Well, it's sold out(globally in the U.S)so I think that's good.Still, I feel like Nintendo undersupplied the U.S and Japan.

March is actually a decent month for a console launch in the U.S since many people get their tax refunds around this time so they have the resources to buy it.As for Japan, well Japan eats pretty much anything with Nintendo on it, plus the handheld aspect covers the needs of its populace, so they should have predicted it would sell out.

Overall I am really disappointed in Nintendo with this launch, it could've been much better...

Miyamotoo said:
Lawlight said:

Can I see a source for the Wii selling 400k in the first 2 days?

Sorry, my bad, actually Wii U sold 400 k in 2 days, Wii sold more than that and Switch sold more than Wii.

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-tech-desk/nintendo-says-new-wii-u-effectively-sold-out-after-first-week-of-release?__lsa=0aa5-e08c

Oh! That is sounding really good! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

gentii said:
bananaking21 said:
decent launch in the USA. nothing mind blowing. its legs will be whats important now, remember WiiU had a good launch too. lets see how things go.

Banana Kid The King Of Haters  

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Intrinsic said:

LAUNCH.

Yes, Wii U had launch at holiday season, time of year when people are much easier spending their money.

No that doesn't matter at all.

Why is this so hard to understand? 

EVERY platform has a dedicated usebase. That user base can be 1M, 2M, 5M or even 10M. And thats not even counting the early adopters that could be platform neutral and just wanting the latest tech.

When it comes to the launch of a new hardware, unless nintendo were shipping out 5M consoles or hell even 8M consoles on launch day/week/month then it really doesn't matter if they released during the holiday season. If they launched with that many consoles, then they would totally saturate their dedicated user base and any additional sales would then be on the marketing, word of mouth or actual merits of the system. Thats when you can start factoring in holiday sales. Cause with launch hardware, especially when stock is as limited as it is here, its a safe bet to say that 90% of the NS consoles were sold before they even hit the production line.

It was no secret that even with 2M consoles shipped there would be shortages, because that number is not enough to saturate the dedicated use3r base and also cater for the early adopters or even scalpers.

Like every console before it, how well it does at launch doesn't mean shit. How well it does in its launch year means more cause thats a better more accurate indication of how the platform will perform. Even the dreamcast had the best "launch" day, week and month in sega history. Yet that ended up being the last console they ever made.

I do not think the NS has done well at launch. That doesn't automatically done poorly either. Juat means its done as expected. Its a launch after all.

Miyamotoo said:
xl-klaudkil said:
Soo a handheld barely beaten the ps4 first week.even with a huge exclusive....

We had reports that Switch has outsold in Japan long time ago.

Soo was the  ps4 and pro. 

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Drakrami said:
So Wii sold 600,000 in 8 days. So I'd say less than 400,000 in 2 days?

So if Switch sold more than Wii for the first 2 launch days. Switch sold more than 400,000

Not that impressive. Ps4 1million sold day 1. We all knew Switch was going to sell well right off the gun.

it is somewhat impressive, considering time of year for the launch and potential scarcity of it in some places. It appears to be sold out in Japan which would imply if more were available it would have a higher first day sales hardware number.

again though, the majority of consoles launch during the holidays .... to directly compare even the PS4 launch day with the Switch launch day would be ridiculous, anything launched near the holidays sells giganticly. In line with that Nintendo didn't put out a gigantic stock because its spring, historically not a busy time for gaming sales really at all

even Japan actually buys more games around Christmas time than any other time of the year

Obviously we have no idea yet if the Switch will be a great seller in the long term as most systems do pretty well at launch. But to use the PS4 as an argument against the Switch is silly as it launched in November versus March (huge difference). Its safe to say if the Switch launched in November with a huge inventory it would have gigantic sales as well (pretty safe to assume when in the Americas and Japan it is somewhat hard to find in urban store shelves)

Intrinsic said:
Miyamotoo said:

No that doesn't matter at all.

Why is this so hard to understand? 

EVERY platform has a dedicated usebase. That user base can be 1M, 2M, 5M or even 10M. And thats not even counting the early adopters that could be platform neutral and just wanting the latest tech.

When it comes to the launch of a new hardware, unless nintendo were shipping out 5M consoles or hell even 8M consoles on launch day/week/month then it really doesn't matter if they released during the holiday season. If they launched with that many consoles, then they would totally saturate their dedicated user base and any additional sales would then be on the marketing, word of mouth or actual merits of the system. Thats when you can start factoring in holiday sales. Cause with launch hardware, especially when stock is as limited as it is here, its a safe bet to say that 90% of the NS consoles were sold before they even hit the production line.

It was no secret that even with 2M consoles shipped there would be shortages, because that number is not enough to saturate the dedicated use3r base and also cater for the early adopters or even scalpers.

Like every console before it, how well it does at launch doesn't mean shit. How well it does in its launch year means more cause thats a better more accurate indication of how the platform will perform. Even the dreamcast had the best "launch" day, week and month in sega history. Yet that ended up being the last console they ever made.

I do not think the NS has done well at launch. That doesn't automatically done poorly either. Juat means its done as expected. Its a launch after all.

Off Course that is matter, in holiday season console are not purchased only buy hard core fans, beaucuse that what people do in holiday season, spend a lotsa money and buying lotsa things.

Agree that isn't really hard to understand that fact.

xl-klaudkil said:
Miyamotoo said:

We had reports that Switch has outsold in Japan long time ago.

Soo was the  ps4 and pro. 

So!?

Switch sold 330k in Japan and it would sell more if there shortages.

Intrinsic said:
Nautilus said:

Americas sales might be higher than that, if the statement is true.I would bet on something closer to 700 k.

But yeah, assuming this tweet is true, the Switch selling as good as the PS4 with a limited supply on March is trully impressive.With the release of Mario Kart 8 and the Global Testfire to send the japanese Switch hype to space, the system there might just have a very bright future.

Why do people keep saying this march thing like its some preemptive qualifier for something great or a precooked excuse for something nothing not so great.

Didn't even the PS4 launch in febuary in Japan? 

I don't know why this is so hard to accept. The launch month of a console is irrelevant when you consider that over 95% of the console sales will go to the hardore fans or early adopters. These are the very same people that would have got the console no matter what or even if it cost more than whatever it ended up costing.

The real indication of a platforms sales is how it does after launch. Not what it does on launch day. Even the XB1 managed to sell 1M consoles in 24 hrs on one territory.

And why cant we celebrate a good Nintendo news for a change?

I never said that this is confirmation that the Switch will be a success, but that is the first step to be successful(hence the might in my last post).Really, Nintendo simply cant catch a break.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1