By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - this is why the open world of breath of the wild is special.

Now I'm not trying to say that Breath of the Wild is the first game that has amazing freedom, but in the modern open world formula it's the first time that I truly feel like I can do anything. For example the witcher has a big open world with great exploration but you're limited by your character, the diference with Breath of the wild is that Nintendo developed a game where the gameplay mechanics are the main source to explore the world smoothly.

Nothing is unreachable

Another difference is the interaction with the world, here you don't "rpg the world" here you interact with the world, there's so much interaction that sometime is unreal thanks to the physics engine, weather and  npcs. On other games you're the main character and everything reacts to you, on breath of the wild everything is connected and everything reacts to everything without a script. Trust me, I was worried about "the world is too empty" comments because maybe that was the case, but man you're wrong if you think that, this game is packed with stuff to see and do. But I understand how someone can think that based on some youtube videos.

Now let's add the zelda charm and gameplay design and we have Breath of the wild.

maybe everything has been done before, but this is the first time that I experience all of this on a single  game. So far what do you think about the world?

Around the Network

I agree with everything.

Breath of the Wild is masterclass when it comes to execution. There's so much attention to details, and most of those details are gameplay exploitable, not just superficial for immersion purpose only. Best open world game I've played so far. Probably the best Zelda in the series, and a direction I hope Nintendo sticks with for a few more titles.

I haven't played it yet, but from what I've seen in gameplay videos, I think that the exploration and freedom is indeed the biggest advantage from BotW over other games.

Yes, I have to say that this the most complete and polished open world game I have played thus far. The world feels alive and self-contained. And it is crazy how well Nintendo has balanced depth and breadth without compromising with copying and pasting things. It is really hard to describe all that the game is, one has to play it. Its greater than the sum of its parts.

I don't see how it does an open world, different then the other big open world games.

Around the Network
areason said:
I don't see how it does an open world, different then the other big open world games.

In other open world games have you ever tried to jump over a table but for some reason you simply werent able to?  Even though the animation shows you can clearly do so you just hit some kind of a wall?  Has happened to me in other open world games, hasn't happened yet for me in Zelda.  Also, every other open world game I have played has given me some kind of hard limit on where I can go while showing me more that I can't actually reach.  Any place I have tried to go in Zelda I have gotten to. 

This is the first open world game I have seen that seems to have minimal, if any, restrictions on where you can travel within the world while making everything appear to be a part of it.  There is no aesthetics only skyline showing me an area that has an imaginary wall on it (yet anyway).  When I try to run up a hill instead of sliding me down it forcing me to go around to a well marked path, it allows me to climb and get to my destination my way.

I think it's a combination of a huge, living world with many opportunities for emergent gameplay. So, Nintendo offers physical freedom of movement and also, importantly, freedom of choice.

Can't wait to play this.

Even more hyped (not a word I use lightly) to see what this game will become when PC emulation is perfected.

Hynad said:

I agree with everything.

Breath of the Wild is masterclass when it comes to execution. There's so much attention to details, and most of those details are gameplay exploitable, not just superficial for immersion purpose only. Best open world game I've played so far. Probably the best Zelda in the series, and a direction I hope Nintendo sticks with for a few more titles.

This.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

areason said:

The story and gameplay is less linear than other open-world games. You can do everything whenever you want. You aren't set on scripted routes from point A to point B very often after the first five hours or so. 

This is coupled with a world that has many traversable routes, and a very well thought out geography.

Areas are not copy and pasted, for the most part. Everything region is different, every shrine is different, every puzzle is different, every dungeon is different. 

A lot of freedom is given in both the story and gameplay. There are dozens of ways to go about killing enemies or solving puzzles. In fact, the whole world feels like a puzzle. 

The characters are charismatic and diverse. The races are unique and interesting (not Tolkien.) 

The level of detail for things as simple as opening a chest or trying to jump off a bridge and having NPC's stop you because they think you are commuting suicide is impressive.

The combat is fun and not repetitive.

The physics system is top if the line for an open world game. 

And many other things. Individual open world games might have a few of these, but very few have all of them.