By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - this is why the open world of breath of the wild is special.

I will say I do think other games have done just as good of a job of making you feel like you can do anything but man do I want to play this. The Switch is the first time since Nintendo that I've wanted a Nintendo console. I've always wanted a portable system but I'm almost never going to get to play portable so I never cared. Now whenever the chance comes that I do get to play portable (honey-moon vacation in June) I'll be ready. Bathroom breaks, I'm ready.

I'm trying to hold off as much as I can on getting one and I'd appreciate it if you guys would stop posting about this game ASAP. Thanks!

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
maxleresistant said:

Zelda is the worst of the bunch.

Personally I think Zelda's voice work is ok, it's just that I think of this particular Zelda as an 16-18-year old girl rather than someone who sounds like 21-25 years old. Apparently the actress has done some other video game work such as Assassin's Creed, Suikoden, Need for Speed, Far Cry Primal, For Honor, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, and Rainbow Six.

And I don't think it's surprising that Nintendo and Co. don't hire top tier voice actors. In Smash Bros., although you have guys like Laura Bailey and Kyle Hebert, they usually use non-union voice actors(-tresses). Whether you think it's cheap or not, that's their decision when it comes to producing their games.

"ok"? No she's not "ok". This is amateur work. I guess Nintendo is still learning stuffs. I can't right now get a video of the memory that I'm thinking about, and I don't want to spoil, but it was laughable.

maxleresistant said:
Kai_Mao said:

Personally I think Zelda's voice work is ok, it's just that I think of this particular Zelda as an 16-18-year old girl rather than someone who sounds like 21-25 years old. Apparently the actress has done some other video game work such as Assassin's Creed, Suikoden, Need for Speed, Far Cry Primal, For Honor, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, and Rainbow Six.

And I don't think it's surprising that Nintendo and Co. don't hire top tier voice actors. In Smash Bros., although you have guys like Laura Bailey and Kyle Hebert, they usually use non-union voice actors(-tresses). Whether you think it's cheap or not, that's their decision when it comes to producing their games.

"ok"? No she's not "ok". This is amateur work. I guess Nintendo is still learning stuffs. I can't right now get a video of the memory that I'm thinking about, and I don't want to spoil, but it was laughable.

Aren't voice actors on strike right now? This might be the reason for poor voice overs.

This needs to be the new standard, not only for Zelda games, but for all open world games here on out. It's a truly great game, and a big part of that greatness is due to the enviroment and what you can do in it.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

potato_hamster said:
sc94597 said:

The story and gameplay is less linear than other open-world games. You can do everything whenever you want. You aren't set on scripted routes from point A to point B very often after the first five hours or so. 

This is coupled with a world that has many traversable routes, and a very well thought out geography.

Areas are not copy and pasted, for the most part. Everything region is different, every shrine is different, every puzzle is different, every dungeon is different. 

A lot of freedom is given in both the story and gameplay. There are dozens of ways to go about killing enemies or solving puzzles. In fact, the whole world feels like a puzzle. 

The characters are charismatic and diverse. The races are unique and interesting (not Tolkien.) 

The level of detail for things as simple as opening a chest or trying to jump off a bridge and having NPC's stop you because they think you are commuting suicide is impressive.

The combat is fun and not repetitive.

The physics system is top if the line for an open world game. 

And many other things. Individual open world games might have a few of these, but very few have all of them.

I'm sorry I thought you were descibing Horizon: Zero Dawn for a second there until you said the NPCs tried to stop you. They're all useless fucks that kinda hate you in Horizon. But the point remains - a game came out just four  days before Zelda that hits pretty much all of these marks, but Zelda is special for them? Seems a bit biased in my opinion.

Keep in mind that both game just came out so not a lot of people have experienced both to even make that "biased opinion". Clearly a lot of people think Zelda is special, same with Horizon.

Around the Network

yes the world is fantastic and epic! That's my fav part about botw. gameplay is another story however. But the world is perfection. 

but im a sucker for open world. on witcher 3 i have well over 300hrs. Witcher 3 i can go back and play now. but botw although has a beautiful world im doing a speed run and trying to finish asap. 

areason said:
onionberry said:

Not really, open world games these days are static and you can't alter the environment for new gameplay possibilities, the only recent game that does similar stuff like that is watch dogs 2 and is kinda limited. On breath of the wild you can push a rock from the beginning of the game all the way to the final boss (just an example) Yeah I can destroy a table on the witcher 3, but can I use that same table to kill enemies or to float on a river?

Those are all puzzle elements, they don't forever alter the enviorment. Trees go back after being cut down, so do plants and other items. 

It doesn't make it diffrent then other open world games, it's just a specific gameplay feature, just like other games having magic/bases/classes/dialouge options and much more. 

I'm not saying the game doesn't have any unique elements, it just doesn't blow away the open world concept. 

of course it makes it different man, on dragon age and the witcher the trees are there for pure aesthetic, here you can chop a tree and use the tree to kill, as a bridge, as wood or you can create a cute statue. when you can interact with the world that's totatlly different than when you stare at the world but you can't touch it. Opens gameplay possibilities.

I just hit a huge Ridge a with a massive waterfall, but I needed to somehow get across this massive Ridge, and I knew I didn't have the stamina to climb it, then it hit me, freeze the water in blocks and climb up the waterfall, took a while but hey I got to the top of the Ridge.

Yomieeee said:
potato_hamster said:

I'm sorry I thought you were descibing Horizon: Zero Dawn for a second there until you said the NPCs tried to stop you. They're all useless fucks that kinda hate you in Horizon. But the point remains - a game came out just four  days before Zelda that hits pretty much all of these marks, but Zelda is special for them? Seems a bit biased in my opinion.

Keep in mind that both game just came out so not a lot of people have experienced both to even make that "biased opinion". Clearly a lot of people think Zelda is special, same with Horizon.

But I don't think Horizon is "special" the setting and theme is unqiue in the sense that you're hunting robot animals, but besides that the game play is just a well polished open world game. Same goes for other games like The Witcher, or Red Dead Redemption. or Fallout 4, or Metal Gear Solid V or whatever. Now I haven't played it myself but I have watched a few hours of let's play videos, and I just can't figure out why this is so much higher rated than all of the other games in that category. It appears to me that Zelda is only special because it's a Zelda game that does these things just as well as these other games.

And you didn't even post the spoilery stuff