By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - this is why the open world of breath of the wild is special.

mjk45 said:
superchunk said:

The one I have, I've pet a lot and fed many, many apples. He has to love me by now. But I will need to throw him off a cliff as I'd rather traverse the open ground.

I agree , at the moment I'm doing general exploration so it's Ok ,was pleasantly surprised that when i stayed overnight at a stable the horse was outside waiting , when I decide to go to more rugged terrain The horse becomes glue, btw I ran into  a pinwheel on a hill with flying target like objects that explode , any idea if they have any purpose.

Yes. I would suggst you complete the targets.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
mjk45 said:

I agree , at the moment I'm doing general exploration so it's Ok ,was pleasantly surprised that when i stayed overnight at a stable the horse was outside waiting , when I decide to go to more rugged terrain The horse becomes glue, btw I ran into  a pinwheel on a hill with flying target like objects that explode , any idea if they have any purpose.

Thanks for the heads up .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
superchunk said:

Thanks for the heads up .

Big hint in Zelda games, if you ever see something that is almost complete, like say a nearly complete circle of rocks, then complete the thing. Whatever it is. It will always be part of some benefit to you. Either by way of a chest/item or side quest.

I have yet to play it, but yes, this is what I'm very interested in o:

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

mjk45 said:
superchunk said:

The one I have, I've pet a lot and fed many, many apples. He has to love me by now. But I will need to throw him off a cliff as I'd rather traverse the open ground.

I encountered that too! Something happens when you shoot all the balloons.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network

to think in a time where open world games have been done by many many other studios, nintendo finds a way to perfect what was and set the trend for what it should be.

umegames said:
to think in a time where open world games have been done by many many other studios, nintendo finds a way to perfect what was and set the trend for what it should be.

I think it's more like Zelda being a perfect fit  for open world gaming rather than Nintendo showing how it's done.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

areason said:
sc94597 said:

The story and gameplay is less linear than other open-world games. You can do everything whenever you want. You aren't set on scripted routes from point A to point B very often after the first five hours or so. 

Same thing for Skyrim, Witcher 3, and other games. 

This is coupled with a world that has many traversable routes, and a very well thought out geography.

Again Skyrim, Far cry, Just cause and so on.. 

Areas are not copy and pasted, for the most part. Everything region is different, every shrine is different, every puzzle is different, every dungeon is different. 

Even Assasins creed isn't copy paste, since when is not copying dungeons a new feature? 

A lot of freedom is given in both the story and gameplay. There are dozens of ways to go about killing enemies or solving puzzles. In fact, the whole world feels like a puzzle. 

From what i've seen puzzles have a set solution, but again isn't the first game to do it. 

The characters are charismatic and diverse. The races are unique and interesting (not Tolkien.) 

Same thing for other games

The level of detail for things as simple as opening a chest or trying to jump off a bridge and having NPC's stop you because they think you are commuting suicide is impressive.

Every game has specific impressive details 

The combat is fun and not repetitive.

That is subjective 

The physics system is top if the line for an open world game. 

Wind/Water Physics aren't impressive, but it does have other things

And many other things. Individual open world games might have a few of these, but very few have all of them.

I still don't see how it's different then other open world games

In bold

Can you beat the final boss at any point or skip parts of the main quests entirely in The Witcher 3 or Skyrim? No? Then they are linear. The quests happen as a sequence of events. In BoTW you do things in any order you want, and don't have to to them all to beat the game.

I have played Skyrim, there is one efficient route that makes sense for most travel, and after you get fast travel points there is no incentive to not use them. This is not the case for BoTW.

Let's use elder scrolls games for an example. Pretty much every dungeon (with a few notable exceptions) are indistinguishable from others. There are certain exceptions, but the majority of the caves, for example, are the same with different layouts. The same goes for NPC's and towns. In fact Skyrim had the NPC's with exactly the same voices and same scripts in different towns. That is copy and pasting.

Puzzles do not have a set solution. Most puzzles cab be accomplished by different means.

List one open-world RPG that doesn't rip off Tolkien races. The Witcher 3 is the closest thing to different, but that is because it uses Slavic lore as its base, which is tangentially Tolkien because Slavic and Germanic (which Tolkien based his races off of) mythologies derive from indo-european culture.

The wind system is kinematic based like the rest of the game. It is evident when sailing. Water also floes naturally.

I already explained why it is different. We don't compare games to every single other game in a meta-genre and say, "see all of it has been done before." We compare them to each individual game as a whole package. The package BoTW offers has more of these good features than most other packages.

It's pretty good as open world games go. I just wished they would've attached a different IP to it. At this point it doesn't feel like a Zelda game, but merely a competent open world with a Zelda skin.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

This game just feels so epic. I've played open world games in the past but the way there's always something new around every corner--some new mechanic, creature, food, weapon. It never gets old. And new character interactions, too. The world just feels alive.

I'm so off track, now. I loved past Zelda games with their focus and tight puzzles. With BotW, I've basically said "Fuck your story. I'm going exploring!" and I've never looked back.