By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - this is why the open world of breath of the wild is special.

I love the little details in the game, like for example you go under a house and there is mushrooms.

One big complaint though, the voice-over work is shameful. The voice actors suck, really really suck, probably one of the worst voice work I heard in a game.

It's awful, and the sound quality too, like they recorded this with a crappy microphone over 20min in an awful studio, did no sound mixing whatsoever after and compressed the whole thing with a potato.

Shameful.

I wish we could change the voices to japanese... I don't even want to watch another memory because if I hear that awful actress who plays Zelda again, I'm afraid I'm going to roll my eyes so hard their going to be stuck like this until I'm dead.

WTF Nintendo. Why did you go cheap...

Around the Network

Agree, it's incredible.

maxleresistant said:
I love the little details in the game, like for example you go under a house and there is mushrooms.

One big complaint though, the voice-over work is shameful. The voice actors suck, really really suck, probably one of the worst voice work I heard in a game.

It's awful, and the sound quality too, like they recorded this with a crappy microphone over 20min in an awful studio, did no sound mixing whatsoever after and compressed the whole thing with a potato.

Shameful.

I wish we could change the voices to japanese... I don't even want to watch another memory because if I hear that awful actress who plays Zelda again, I'm afraid I'm going to roll my eyes so hard their going to be stuck like this until I'm dead.

Voice-acting is NOA's fault. They need to hire better people. Sometimes it feels like the translators are also doing the voice-acting, which comes off like a bad anime dub. Having said that, I don't think it is totally horrible nor the worst I have heard. Some voices are better than others in the game, but not all are bad. 

Not a really good example to show the wonderful world of BoTW. I think what makes it great is that the world rewards you for being curious. For example, in one of twitch streams that i watched, the player crossed two tiny cat statues with one has an apple on its arm and the other does not. He then put an apple to that statue and suddenly a cat god shows up and give him a nice lil item.

maxleresistant said:

If this is the worst you've ever heard, then I'm afraid you haven't been exposed to bad voice acting.

Around the Network
m_csquare said:
Not a really good example to show the wonderful world of BoTW. I think what makes it great is that the world rewards you for being curious. For example, in one of twitch streams that i watched, the player crossed two tiny cat statues with one has an apple on its arm and the other does not. He then put an apple to that statue and suddenly a cat god shows up and give him a nice lil item.

well that's the zelda gameplay design, zelda is about curiosity and trying to see if something works. Here we have that experience in a massive open world.

maxleresistant said:

Shameful.

it's not that bad to be honest, I mean the voice acting of the "old man" is surprisingly good, impa sounds good too although zelda could be better. Can't wait to see the other characters.

Zelda has a great gameplay sandbox..... but I am not a fan of people thinking everything ought to be like that or that its better because it has certain things and others don't.

Lets take the wind gliding and sheild surfing thingy for instance..... its great and all as a gameplay mechanic. But not all open world games would benefit from that. Simply cause such a gameplay mechanic just wouldnt fit with the wold they are trying to portray.

Can you picture Alloy chopping down a tree with 2 swipes of here spear? Or climbing to the topof a hill and jumping off and magically gliding with a tarp shes holding over her head? Or stuff like that happening in the witcher..... stuff like that would just break the game's immersion.

Is it just me, or do nintndo fans have this way of thinking taht everything or mechanic in a nintendo game is the best thing ever?

This is why they had monolith help them on this game. Their recent experience designing huge worlds.

Intrinsic said:
Zelda has a great gameplay sandbox..... but I am not a fan of people thinking everything ought to be like that or that its better because it has certain things and others don't.

Lets take the wind gliding and sheild surfing thingy for instance..... its great and all as a gameplay mechanic. But not all open world games would benefit from that. Simply cause such a gameplay mechanic just wouldnt fit with the wold they are trying to portray.

Can you picture Alloy chopping down a tree with 2 swipes of here spear? Or climbing to the topof a hill and jumping off and magically gliding with a tarp shes holding over her head? Or stuff like that happening in the witcher..... stuff like that would just break the game's immersion.

Is it just me, or do nintndo fans have this way of thinking taht everything or mechanic in a nintendo game is the best thing ever?

I'm not saying that those games are bad, I'm saying that breath of the wild is special for specific reasons. I really hate when people wanna change what I said for an speficic agenda, the "Nintendo fans" comments is uncalled and totally crazy because Open world action adventure games is my favorite genre, so I'm more than just a "Nintendo fan" trying to say "that something is better than something because Nintendo"

Since this is my favorite genre and I play this genre more than anything else, I'm explaining why this game is different and special. "better or not" that's subjective and a point of view.