By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Seal Clubbing is a sick tradition and it must end!

Ps3 said:

Sorry! But... I think it's a cruel and horrible thing. And what's their excuse for clubbing? Food? Sorry, but eating a seal is like eating siht and is totally weird! For sport? Sorry, but that's some kind of satanic stuff. And 3 if you support or seal club you are the devil!

Killing of any animals is horrible. Unless you are in a survival situation it's completely unnecessary. 

Around the Network

As someone that lives in the artic I must disagree. I'm not really sure how serious you are since you compare it to eating babies and whatnot, but it's not any more barbaric than eating any other animal.

Unnecessary hurt to the animals is just that, unnecessary, of cource. Here in norway we don't pratice clubbing to my knowledge, I can't imagine so at least since we have pretty strickt rules for animal rights (an animal police and stuff as well).

My friends that live on farms used to have cows and sheeps as pet animals, and they are amazing and cosy animals just like seals. But in the end they as every other animal breed for meat was slaughtered. If anything I think you have a very limited view on animal rights if you think that one kind of animal should be protected because they are nice, as if that wasn't the rule with almost all of them. Good to see that you care about animal cruelty though, but that's a very different story than commercial seal hunting. It's also important to understand why different cultures do what they do, and not just write it of as something idiotic right out of the gate.

Mr Puggsly said:
OdinHades said:
It's always problematic when someone wants to judge other people from a whole other culture. Yes, people eat seals and it's totally normal for them. There are also parts in the world where people indeed eat cats and dogs. Meanwhile Indian people look with disgust at the west and just can't get their head around why people here eat cows.

We just shouldn't judge about the culture from other places, we have no right to do that.

I completely disagree, we should judge. Especially when it has to do with how people are treated.

Many Indians don't eat beef for religious/spiritual reasons.

As soon as people get hurt, it's a different story. But that isn't the case here. 

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

I expected this to be about people citing Amazon bestseller rankings.

Ps3 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well, a problem is that even if they're not hunted, climate change is still going to screw up their ecosystem.

So, maybe we can stop drilling for oil? Stop making the oil companies rich! Or perhaps we can clean our planet. I always cut up those plastic things attached to my cans before I throw them in the trash. Imagine if everyone pitched in? It would be lovely.

Won't happen. People are to lazy and selfish.

Around the Network
Boutros said:
Can't blame Inuits for doing it but trophy hunting is indeed gross.

I can blame them cause they can eat plenty of other things. You're telling me that the only thing to eat up there are seals? That's ridiculous. That's like saying "I'm hungry, there isn't any food in the house, but there will be in maybe 2 or 3 hours, but LOOK there's a booger in my nose, let me eat that for the time being". It's mean.

Reputation proceeds me, they told you I'm crazy, I swear I don't love the drama it loves me <3

BUY TAYLOR'S NEW ALBUM REPUTATION!!

Leadified said:
Ps3 said:

What's not serious? Eating a seal has to be just out of boredom. That isn't the only source of food. Would you eat a cat or dog? It's the same thing.

I invite you to educate yourself on the matter before you pass judgement so quickly, many people in the High Arctic have relied on these animals for thousands of years for food and other uses. Some communities are too isolated from the rest of the world that they don't have much choice in the matter, it's not like those people hunt seals for fun.

With all due respect, but I think you should look into the matter as well. These seals are mostly hunted for sport and for fun. Seal clubbing is a national pass time for some people, and thousands are murdered for their fur, and they're left on the ice to die alone and cold.

Reputation proceeds me, they told you I'm crazy, I swear I don't love the drama it loves me <3

monocle_layton said:
The only people I believe who eat seals are Inuits. Seals are their major source of food for themselves and their dogs.

I find it weird how you have no problem with eating fish (which are declining in popularity), but God save the few thousand seals who were going to be eaten either way!

Those seals would die somehow. If an inuit doesn't eat them, then they'll be eaten by another animal, starve, or just die from age or something else. That's how nature works.

I'm completely against killing seals for trophy-related reasons (competitive hunting itself is a disgusting industry), but blaming humans and animals for acting the way they're supposed to be is quite strange.

Seals are great targets for inuits. Unlike us, they don't waste thousands of acres of land for them. They also don't:

1. Require thousands of gallons of water for the meat to be cleansed

2. Need to be fed

3. Selectively bred and trapped in a factory

That's rather great. They're taking advantage of the food chain and not harming the Earth significantly. Or would you rather have us waste even MORE space to eat the lowly animals we eat without any issue?

1. Dogs can also eat anything else too. They're experienced hunters.

2. Well fish lay thousands of babies at a time. They're billions upon billions! and they're also not as intelligent as seals.

3. If another animal eats them so be it! But we're humans. We can compromise. We don't need to hunt them just because.

Ka-pi96 said:
Anyways, can't really agree with the OP anymore. Beating an animal to death just because is really bad, obviously. But killing it for food, providing it's done in a humane way and isn't an endangered animal... I've no problem with that. Seals aren't special just because they're seals. Same for cats/dogs, if people want to eat them then they should go right ahead. I wouldn't, seems pretty gross to me, but I also won't criticise those that do (not saying I won't mock them though )

So clubbing an animal with a spike bat is humane? Yeah okay! And anyone who eats cats or dogs should be strapped to a bed and given medicine. That's sick!

Ps3 said:
Leadified said:

I invite you to educate yourself on the matter before you pass judgement so quickly, many people in the High Arctic have relied on these animals for thousands of years for food and other uses. Some communities are too isolated from the rest of the world that they don't have much choice in the matter, it's not like those people hunt seals for fun.

With all due respect, but I think you should look into the matter as well. These seals are mostly hunted for sport and for fun. Seal clubbing is a national pass time for some people, and thousands are murdered for their fur, and they're left on the ice to die alone and cold.

We're not talking about commerical hunting.