By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Seal Clubbing is a sick tradition and it must end!

Ps3 said:
Leadified said:

Way to pass the sweeping generalizations on people who rely on seals for survivial.

Well, it's sick! There are other things to eat... Like fish, and rice, and steaks, cookies, and even bugs! I would rather cut off my legs than eat a seal.

So, what makes seals so much different from say, pigs? Pigs are very social and friendly too, yet we eat them all the time. I personally think that we eat too much meat, mainly because the more meat we eat the more land that is needed to breed/raise the animals, which causes environmental problems, but there are places like the arctic where agriculture is virtually impossible.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Ps3 said:

Well, it's sick! There are other things to eat... Like fish, and rice, and steaks, cookies, and even bugs! I would rather cut off my legs than eat a seal.

So, what makes seals so much different from say, pigs? Pigs are very social and friendly too, yet we eat them all the time. I personally think that we eat too much meat, mainly because the more meat we eat the more land that is needed to breed/raise the animals, which causes environmental problems, but there are places like the arctic where agriculture is virtually impossible.

Well, as long as you aren't eating micro sized pigs, then I think it's okay, because pigs are becoming popular animals. However, big farm pigs, they're different. I'm not saying it's okay, but we eat pigs.. Most countries in the world eat pig. Only like a few thousand eat seals. Most people would vomit if seal was on their plate.  But I'm for eating less meat. I think we rely way too much on meat. Perhaps potatoes and cherries? I love those.

Reputation proceeds me, they told you I'm crazy, I swear I don't love the drama it loves me <3

BUY TAYLOR'S NEW ALBUM REPUTATION!!

Can't blame Inuits for doing it but trophy hunting is indeed gross.

Ps3 said:
Leadified said:

You can't be serious.

What's not serious? Eating a seal has to be just out of boredom. That isn't the only source of food. Would you eat a cat or dog? It's the same thing.

I invite you to educate yourself on the matter before you pass judgement so quickly, many people in the High Arctic have relied on these animals for thousands of years for food and other uses. Some communities are too isolated from the rest of the world that they don't have much choice in the matter, it's not like those people hunt seals for fun.

The only people I believe who eat seals are Inuits. Seals are their major source of food for themselves and their dogs.

I find it weird how you have no problem with eating fish (which are declining in popularity), but God save the few thousand seals who were going to be eaten either way!

Those seals would die somehow. If an inuit doesn't eat them, then they'll be eaten by another animal, starve, or just die from age or something else. That's how nature works.

I'm completely against killing seals for trophy-related reasons (competitive hunting itself is a disgusting industry), but blaming humans and animals for acting the way they're supposed to be is quite strange.

Seals are great targets for inuits. Unlike us, they don't waste thousands of acres of land for them. They also don't:

1. Require thousands of gallons of water for the meat to be cleansed

2. Need to be fed

3. Selectively bred and trapped in a factory

That's rather great. They're taking advantage of the food chain and not harming the Earth significantly. Or would you rather have us waste even MORE space to eat the lowly animals we eat without any issue?

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
monocle_layton said:

Those seals would die somehow. If an inuit doesn't eat them, then they'll be eaten by another animal, starve, or just die from age or something else. That's how nature works.

Like this?

Well... that actually worked out quite well for the seal so...

Bon appetite

this is such a horror... of course it has to stop, it's 2017 we live in

I thought the main reason was for the wool and not for eating? maybe I'm wrong

I won't criticize the fact that seal are killed for food, if they are for food, but the cruelty of how they are killed (hit with a club on the head and suffer in their own blood until)

I'm sure many do it as hobby, cause they simply enjoy violence, and this is legal violence :'(

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

It's always problematic when someone wants to judge other people from a whole other culture. Yes, people eat seals and it's totally normal for them. There are also parts in the world where people indeed eat cats and dogs. Meanwhile Indian people look with disgust at the west and just can't get their head around why people here eat cows.

We just shouldn't judge about the culture from other places, we have no right to do that.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
It's always problematic when someone wants to judge other people from a whole other culture. Yes, people eat seals and it's totally normal for them. There are also parts in the world where people indeed eat cats and dogs. Meanwhile Indian people look with disgust at the west and just can't get their head around why people here eat cows.

We just shouldn't judge about the culture from other places, we have no right to do that.

I completely disagree, we should judge. Especially when it has to do with how people are treated.

Many Indians don't eat beef for religious/spiritual reasons.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

We have domesticated animals (that are not in danger of becoming extinct anytime soon) for our food, that is where it needs to be for a meat hungry population, anything else has to be judged harshly