By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Breath of the Wild really that good?

I watched some playthroughs and got the feeling the world is kind of empty, and shrine puzzles very basic.  Speed players can finish the game in 1h 10 minutes.   I have to believe that with so many reviewers giving top marks it is really good. Maybe the sum is greater than it's parts.  It's very hard to tell why this is the best game ever without hands on play.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
tivec said:

Based on reviews score it's 98 (honestly I haven't seen such high score since I remember) but players gave it only 78. 
I can't decide if I should buy Switch but seeing this score I guess I should but console for this game only.

So I am asking you. What are your opinions on Breath of the Wild (even if you did not finish game yet). Is this game worth buy console for?

Look at the distribution of user-scores. A lot of users just gave a zero (didn't even knew that was possible, thought one would be the lowest). There are practically no medium user-scores. So haters downvote it just for the fun of it.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

PenguinZ said:
I'm about 10 hours in and it's a very solid game. There's a lot of small hidden puzzles, the shrines are interesting, and the vastness of the world is really something. I'm honestly surprised with how much depth is in this game and I felt like I've barely scratched the surface of it.

However there is one particular thing that bothers me slightly and that's the durability of the weapons. While I don't have much issue with the mechanic, I feel that some weapons break way too quickly.

It also depends on how you use the weapons. Attacking high level enemies with low level weapons make them break faster as well as hammering away on their shields or using swords on rocky creatures etc. When you use them right they last a lot longer. But true, eventually my prized 45 dmg two hander broke as well.

Madword said:

From the videos I've seen, graphically it doesnt look that good, and not seen any gameplay that would make me think that its any different from any other open world game.

There is a tendency in the negative reviews: they saw gameplay on Youtube. People who actually played it are mostly positive. The point is, the mechanics are mostly known from other games (although I don't know any game which combines it all that way), but it all balances out so extremely well, that it is a lot of fun. So looking videos don't catch you at surprise, actually playing it might feel just very good.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Miyamotoo said:
Mummelmann said:
Tried it last night, only an hour or so, there were some things I loved and some things I disliked. Overall, I had a hard time seeing where the 98 fits, to be honest. It's an amazing, high quality game but even in my short time with it, I noticed quite a few weak points, both technical and mechanical.
I'd need to play a lot more to pass any sort of final score of course, so this is only a first impression for me.

Of Course you need more to play more, first region Great Plateau is more introduce to game, game really opens after Great Plateau.

I didn't play the intro, I tried on someone else's save game, he has a good 8-10 hours at least. The immense openness impressed the hell out of me, others things were not as good as I was hoping for. But there's no doubt that I need to own this game if and when I get a Switch.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Nem said:

Don't write things off as just trolls. From the honest reviews i've seen, what happens is that the game became a typical open world game. Light on story, open ended and with repetitive tasks.

I myself am a bit burned out of that type of game. I don't dislike them if i'm on the right mood, but it can get quite pointless and boring.
I am pretty sure that the highest scores are not honest, if not only for the technical issues. But it certainly isn't a game as revolutionary as Ocarina of time. Whoever tells you that is just trying too hard.

It is what it is. You know it won't be a bad game, but don't go expecting it to be ocarina the second coming. This type of game existed before Zelda did it.

Why don't you wait until you've played it before making such comments and passing those kind of judgements?

Sigh... because i'm not blind and watching videos in the internet is a thing (also, i wasnt born yesterday)?

I will be getting to play it tomorrow anyways. I don't know why you are so offended though. All i said is that it isn't as revolutionary as Ocarina and that is obvious. This isn't the first open world game and it won't be the last, but i am pretty certain that the Witcher 3 is better.

Nem said:
Hynad said:

Why don't you wait until you've played it before making such comments and passing those kind of judgements?

Sigh... because i'm not blind and watching videos in the internet is a thing (also, i wasnt born yesterday)?

I will be getting to play it tomorrow anyways. I don't know why you are so offended though. All i said is that it isn't as revolutionary as Ocarina and that is obvious. This isn't the first open world game and it won't be the last, but i am pretty certain that the Witcher 3 is better.

OoT was not the first 3D game and it was not the last. Honestly OoT wasn't revolutionary at all. All of its mechanics were natural evolutions incited by the hardware -- the rest of the game is just holdovers from ALTTP. People have nostalgia goggles with the game.

Having played both the Witcher 3 and this game, they both have their different strengths and weaknesses. The Witcher 3 has a better story, and decent side-quests, BoTW has a better world, better exploration mechanics, and better combat. One is a story heavy scripted and mostly linear title (despite the "open-world" attribution) the other focuses on nonlinearity.

Watching a game on YouTube is not the same as playing it, not even close. That is silly to even imply.

sc94597 said:
Nem said:

OoT was not the first 3D game and it was not the last. Honestly OoT wasn't revolutionary at all. All of its mechanics were natural evolutions incited by the hardware -- the rest of the game is just holdovers from ALTTP. People have nostalgia goggles with the game.

Having played both the Witcher 3 and this game, they both have their different strengths and weaknesses. The Witcher 3 has a better story, and decent side-quests, BoTW has a better world, better exploration mechanics, and better combat. One is a story heavy scripted and mostly linear title (despite the "open-world" attribution) the other focuses on nonlinearity.

Watching a game on YouTube is not the same as playing it, not even close. That is silly to even imply.

Zelda was the first action adventure game i'm fairly certain. If not, it was the first one that matters anyways. It was a completely new experience at the time. BotW is a type of game that has been made in buckets last and this gen.

Heck even Nintendo made one in Xeniblade X before this.

Actually, the first open world that mattered was GTA3 on the PS2.

Mummelmann said:
Miyamotoo said:

Of Course you need more to play more, first region Great Plateau is more introduce to game, game really opens after Great Plateau.

I didn't play the intro, I tried on someone else's save game, he has a good 8-10 hours at least. The immense openness impressed the hell out of me, others things were not as good as I was hoping for. But there's no doubt that I need to own this game if and when I get a Switch.

8-10 hours is not a lot of time as far as this game is concerned, some people have taken 5 hours just to get off the plateau while many haven't even been to the first village in their first 15.

Nem said:
sc94597 said:

Zelda was the first action adventure game i'm fairly certain. If not, it was the first one that matters anyways. It was a completely new experience at the time. BotW is a type of game that has been made in buckets last and this gen.

Heck even Nintendo made one in Xeniblade X before this.

Actually, the first open world that mattered was GTA3 on the PS2.

Tomb Raider (91% metacritic) released two years before OoT for example.

To describe a game as "open-world" tells me nothing about how it plays. It is obvious by the comparison of Xenoblade Chronicles X and BoTW: two games with vastly different experiences, gameplay styles, and genres.