By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Breath of the Wild really that good?

I'm no ones alt, suggesting that people only give opinions on something they have at least experienced is hardly radical is it?

Around the Network

Also it's ridiculous to assume I'm upset because I think it's crazy that people feel they should pass an opinion on something that they clearly know nothing about.

As said, you won't see me throwing shade on a game if I haven't played it, somebody is asking is BOTW really that good? Suggests to me they are looking for the opinions of people who have played it?

If you haven't played it, how will you know?

Ivant said:
Also it's ridiculous to assume I'm upset because I think it's crazy that people feel they should pass an opinion on something that they clearly know nothing about.

As said, you won't see me throwing shade on a game if I haven't played it, somebody is asking is BOTW really that good? Suggests to me they are looking for the opinions of people who have played it?

Are you really saying that you've only expressed an opinion on games you've played, food you've eaten, albums you've listen to?

Also, are you aware of the quote button?

Ivant said:

Yeah I know nothing ... ;)

Its not about throwing shade (seriously how young are you as my 16 year old uses that type of language). For me the game looks lacking, if people are loving it (and they obviously are) then thats great because thats what making games is all about, I certainly wouldnt want to take away anyones enjoyment of games (I've loved games that havent particularly reviewed well and have not liked games everyone rates 10/10), you know opinions and tastes. I am offering a differing opinion on a discussion forum about discussions. The only reason I am continuing to post is to reply to silly comments from people getting upset from me saying it doesnt look like something I would enjoy. If you are loving it, say your loving it and just enjoy... my comment isnt going to affect your playing or enjoyment and wont affect sales... 

I think you need to relax a little and not get so touchy.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

naruball said:
Ivant said:

Are you really saying that you've only expressed an opinion on games you've played, food you've eaten, albums you've listen to?

Isn't that what everyone should do? How can you speak with authority on something you've never experienced? Playing 15 minutes of Ocarina of Time twenty years ago does not an expert make.

The OP is ostensibly looking for first-hand data, not the assumptions of people who will probably never play the game.

Around the Network

Tried it last night, only an hour or so, there were some things I loved and some things I disliked. Overall, I had a hard time seeing where the 98 fits, to be honest. It's an amazing, high quality game but even in my short time with it, I noticed quite a few weak points, both technical and mechanical.
I'd need to play a lot more to pass any sort of final score of course, so this is only a first impression for me.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
naruball said:

Isn't that what everyone should do? How can you speak with authority on something you've never experienced? Playing 15 minutes of Ocarina of Time twenty years ago does not an expert make.

The OP is ostensibly looking for first-hand data, not the assumptions of people who will probably never play the game.

Well surely no one can speak with authority because everyone is different. I could say, tried a chinese resturant last night and I can speak with authority that it was the best resturant ever. But surely thats only based on their experience and if they have limited experience or tastes or standards, then it doesnt mean a lot does it. What is the reader doesnt like chinese food at all, then that opinion is mute. I can see chinese food on a plate and know if i'll like it or not, dont need to eat the food on the plate, I can tell you if I like a car or not by looking at it, dont need to test drive it. The difference with games is you can get a pretty good overview of a game from playthrough videos... or do you disagree?

Everyone is different, tastes are different. The OP is asking for opinions without giving much information about themselves except, game is scoring well, is it worth getting a console for, we have no idea of the cirucmstances around the OP's background. Do they normally buy nintendo consoles, do they like open world games, so I dont think its too much to have a general discussion. In fact whats wrong with a general discussion about what people like and dont like about the game without the need to go into "Speaking with Authority". 

Madword said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Well surely no one can speak with authority because everyone is different. I could say, tried a chinese resturant last night and I can speak with authority that it was the best resturant ever. But surely thats only based on their experience and if they have limited experience or tastes or standards, then it doesnt mean a lot does it. What is the reader doesnt like chinese food at all, then that opinion is mute. I can see chinese food on a plate and know if i'll like it or not, dont need to eat the food on the plate, I can tell you if I like a car or not by looking at it, dont need to test drive it. The difference with games is you can get a pretty good overview of a game from playthrough videos... or do you disagree?

Everyone is different, tastes are different. The OP is asking for opinions without giving much information about themselves except, game is scoring well, is it worth getting a console for, we have no idea of the cirucmstances around the OP's background. Do they normally buy nintendo consoles, do they like open world games, so I dont think its too much to have a general discussion. In fact whats wrong with a general discussion about what people like and dont like about the game without the need to go into "Speaking with Authority". 

The OP is asking pretty specific questions: is BotW really that good? If I consider Witcher 3 and Persona series as great games and I enjoyed them will I also like BotW? 

One would need to play these games to speak with any authority on the matter. Relaying some second or third-hand information gleaned from a YouTube video isn't especially helpful. Surely the OP has access to the internet. He can look up some trailers or gameplay demos. He wants first-hand information from people who've experienced the game.

If this was a "Is Zelda going to be good?" or "Based on what we know, is Zelda worth buying?" thread, I'd be inclined to agree with your post. But in this instance, conjecture is kind of a waste of time.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Madword said:

The OP is asking pretty specific questions: is BotW really that good? If I consider Witcher 3 and Persona series as great games and I enjoyed them will I also like BotW? 

One would need to play these games to speak with any authority on the matter. Relaying some second or third-hand information gleaned from a YouTube video isn't especially helpful. Surely the OP has access to the internet. He can look up some trailers or gameplay demos. He wants first-hand information from people who've experienced the game.

If this was a "Is Zelda going to be good?" or "Based on what we know, is Zelda worth buying?" thread, I'd be inclined to agree with your post. But in this instance, conjecture is kind of a waste of time.

Still going around in circles, just because you like them doesnt necessarily dictate they'll like Zelda, thats the point. You could in theory not like either of those games and love zelda. If you have played all three, that *still* doesnt make you an authority, its still just an opinion without really knowing much about the OP. I mean Witcher and Persona couldnt be more different in terms of game style and gameplay.

RolStoppable said:
I found the start to the game rough because it already featured situations with instant kills and ambiguous progress. I still get killed regularly after well over a dozen hours. This Zelda demands a lot more respect than almost every other game in the series; it's basically just the NES titles that are on a similar level. You have to correct your expectations of being a killing machine in the making to being weak sauce. You better have a plan when you encounter an enemy camp, or if you don't have one, stay away from it for your own safety.

The more I am able to adjust to the game, the more I enjoy it. What I have to adjust to aren't really bad things, it's merely that progress isn't served on a silver platter. Exploration pays off, heart containers really mean something. There are quite a few things I skipped past in my initial hours that I am only now discovering, and it seems there is still lots to learn.

Good point about the demanding nature of the game. Every enemy encounter feels like a trial. I've had to use my Sheikah Slate to survey enemy camps before attacking, and ensure I have a supply of powerful weapons and heart-replenishing items just in case. These enemies don't mess around, and the game is stingy about providing any kind of help.

Most Zelda games since 1992 have conformed to the structure of A Link to the Past, but this game seems to owe a lot more to the NES original.