By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Breath of the Wild really that good?

naruball said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Isn't that what everyone should do? How can you speak with authority on something you've never experienced? Playing 15 minutes of Ocarina of Time twenty years ago does not an expert make.

The OP is ostensibly looking for first-hand data, not the assumptions of people who will probably never play the game.

Nope. That's not how it works in the real work and no one must, has to, or should speak with authority. Simple observations are fine. I don't need to play Halo to know it's not my cup of tea. I don't need to play World of Warcraft to know that its graphics do nothing for me. Sometimes I have the time, money, and/or opportunity to play a game and make an informed statement about it. Other times, it's simple observations and I don't expect anyone to take them as informed opinions.

Like I said, I doubt you or anyone else has only commented on things they've experienced well. Most of the time we comment on things on which our experience is extremely limited.

All I'm saying is that in a thread focused on gathering first-hand data on a game, first-hand data is far more useful than second and third-hand data. 

Is that debatable?

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Madword said:

Lets not be silly now, I'm not trying to psychoanalyse anyone, just trying to answer a simple question which is the OP didnt really provide much information and so the point of discussion is perfectly reasonable (or are you saying a discussion forum that only posters can post if they meet some high standard of approval).

This silly conversation wouldnt have got this far if a few people wouldnt be bleating on about how salty people are or how their opinion is better than others. As I said, I've given an opinion, I've said the world looks empty, prove me wrong, post some images, give some experiences to the contary, that would both be enlightning and probably be more interesting to people who are interested in buying, rather than hearing some elitest stuff about being more informed.  You can be informed without having played the game, that was the point, obviously that point is lost.

Rolstoppable's post has probably been the best so far, at least he's put his thoughts about the game into useful context.

Informing oneself is "elitist" now?

Oh come on, you know what I am saying, first you accuse me of psychoannalysing someone, then you saying only "informed" people can have an opinion...

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Madword said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Informing oneself is "elitist" now?

Oh come on, you know what I am saying, first you accuse me of psychoannalysing someone, then you saying only "informed" people can have an opinion...

Maybe this is a language barrier?

I'm not saying "informed" people are the only folks eligible to have and share an opinion. I'm saying an opinion based on actual experience is more useful than one formed on assumptions and conjecture. 

vivster said:
RolStoppable said:
I found the start to the game rough because it already featured situations with instant kills and ambiguous progress. I still get killed regularly after well over a dozen hours. This Zelda demands a lot more respect than almost every other game in the series; it's basically just the NES titles that are on a similar level. You have to correct your expectations of being a killing machine in the making to being weak sauce. You better have a plan when you encounter an enemy camp, or if you don't have one, stay away from it for your own safety.

The more I am able to adjust to the game, the more I enjoy it. What I have to adjust to aren't really bad things, it's merely that progress isn't served on a silver platter. Exploration pays off, heart containers really mean something. There are quite a few things I skipped past in my initial hours that I am only now discovering, and it seems there is still lots to learn.

I have yet to see a single thing it does better than other open world games I've played.

I can name a few: the physics systems (arched arrows, fire fluidity, ragdoll, objects fall realistically, accurate kinematics and dynamics, bouyancy), very little copying and pasteing as far as shrines are concerned, dungeon complexity, true open world (no loading between areas), truly non-linear main story (you can attempt to kill Ganon whenever, but are rewarded for all else you do; you aren't just walking from script A to script B), above-average verticality, intuitive cooking, horse-taming, sailing and other mechanics, and survivality concerns due to weather system. All of this when added together provides an experience more than the sum of its parts, and the attention to detail in the game, in general, is excellent. 

These are the open-world games I have played in comparison: The entire Elder Scrolls Series, Gothic series, Fallout series, Dragon Age Inquisition (not truly open world imo), The Witcher 3 (not truly open world imo), Xenoblade Chronicles X, Grand Theft Auto series, Middle Earth: Shadow of Morder, Red Dead Redemption, and probably others I am forgetting about. 

sc94597 said:
vivster said:

I have yet to see a single thing it does better than other open world games I've played.

I can name a few: the physics systems (arched arrows, fire fluidity, ragdoll, objects fall realistically, accurate kinematics and dynamics, bouyancy), very little copying and pasteing as far as shrines are concerned, dungeon complexity, true open world (no loading between areas), truly non-linear main story (you can attempt to kill Ganon whenever, but are rewarded for all else you do; you aren't just walking from script A to script B), above-average verticality, intuitive cooking, horse-taming, sailing and other mechanics, and survivality concerns due to weather system. All of this when added together provides an experience more than the sum of its parts, and the attention to detail in the game, in general, is excellent. 

These are the open-world games I have played in comparison: The entire Elder Scrolls Series, Gothic series, Fallout series, Dragon Age Inquisition (not truly open world imo), The Witcher 3 (not truly open world imo), Xenoblade Chronicles X, Grand Theft Auto series, Middle Earth: Shadow of Morder, Red Dead Redemption, and probably others I am forgetting about. 

Yeah I've play many as well, they may do a few of the things BOTW does but none of them do everything in one package and even then there are things BOTW has brought to the table. It's a sandbox where every mechanic can be played around with.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
vivster said:

See, there is your problem, you never played Far Cry. That alone covers most of your points. Gothic covers the rest.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

So, I've put in a little time into it so far, well by little, I mean like however long 2 days can net me in a functional human day to day life kind of time. I have to say, I had my reservations. I didn't feel much during the previews and I was very skeptical about the 98 average score as I was not expecting it to get that much praise, but after playing it for awhile, I'm happy to say that I'm wrong and this is a really really really good game with a shit ton of content and fun challenges. The fucked up part is I don't think I'm even 10% through with the game yet and I'm already agreeing to the 98 average. The low meta is mostly salty PS4 owners who were mad about this game being rated higher than Horizon, which is understandable, but really, if you have a Wii U, or have a Switch, this is a game you'd not want to leave out of your gaming library as it is an excellent, really, very, super, excellent game. This is coming from somebody who has played a lot of MMORPGs, and open world games, who's primarily a PC gamer. Buy this fucking game.

sc94597 said:
vivster said:

sounds like morrowind and dont starve. But hey nobody played those games so i dont blame you

vivster said:
sc94597 said:

See, there is your problem, you never played Far Cry. That alone covers most of your points. Gothic covers the rest.

I've played Farcry and it doesn't even cover half of what you can do in BOTW.

vivster said:
sc94597 said:

I played the early Far Cry games. The series is not interesting enough to hold me thematically. And from what I've gathered, it suffered from the same problems of a main story where you are just stamp-collecting/going from script A to script B. Considering that Far Cry 4 has an 85% Metacritic, there certainly has to be something BoTW does better, and I am going to guess there are a lot of something's it does better, but since I have not played it I cannot comment. The last Far Cry I played was Far Cry 2, and the game was so different from BoTW I can't compare them. As for the Gothic series, it hasn't had a good game for a decade, and I don't remember the physics system being as accurate as BoTW's, for example. 

In my opinion, the closest non-Zelds game to BoTW is Middle Earth: SoM, but even then there are significant differences. BotW feels like a mesh of TLoZ and Windwaker.