By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Breath of the Wild really that good?

Madword said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

The OP is asking pretty specific questions: is BotW really that good? If I consider Witcher 3 and Persona series as great games and I enjoyed them will I also like BotW? 

One would need to play these games to speak with any authority on the matter. Relaying some second or third-hand information gleaned from a YouTube video isn't especially helpful. Surely the OP has access to the internet. He can look up some trailers or gameplay demos. He wants first-hand information from people who've experienced the game.

If this was a "Is Zelda going to be good?" or "Based on what we know, is Zelda worth buying?" thread, I'd be inclined to agree with your post. But in this instance, conjecture is kind of a waste of time.

Still going around in circles, just because you like them doesnt necessarily dictate they'll like Zelda, thats the point. You could in theory not like either of those games and love zelda. If you have played all three, that *still* doesnt make you an authority, its still just an opinion without really knowing much about the OP. I mean Witcher and Persona couldnt be more different in terms of game style and gameplay.

There's a difference between an opinion and an informed opinion. We don't need to psychoanalyze tivec to provide the latter.

Around the Network

Not a question.

It's your hope.

Haven't played it but I don't like how u can't repair weapons.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
naruball said:

Are you really saying that you've only expressed an opinion on games you've played, food you've eaten, albums you've listen to?

Also, are you aware of the quote button?

Isn't that what everyone should do? How can you speak with authority on something you've never experienced? Playing 15 minutes of Ocarina of Time twenty years ago does not an expert make.

The OP is ostensibly looking for first-hand data, not the assumptions of people who will probably never play the game.

Nope. That's not how it works in the real work and no one must, has to, or should speak with authority. Simple observations are fine. I don't need to play Halo to know it's not my cup of tea. I don't need to play World of Warcraft to know that its graphics do nothing for me. Sometimes I have the time, money, and/or opportunity to play a game and make an informed statement about it. Other times, it's simple observations and I don't expect anyone to take them as informed opinions.

Like I said, I doubt you or anyone else has only commented on things they've experienced well. Most of the time we comment on things on which our experience is extremely limited.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Madword said:

Still going around in circles, just because you like them doesnt necessarily dictate they'll like Zelda, thats the point. You could in theory not like either of those games and love zelda. If you have played all three, that *still* doesnt make you an authority, its still just an opinion without really knowing much about the OP. I mean Witcher and Persona couldnt be more different in terms of game style and gameplay.

There's a difference between an opinion and an informed opinion. We don't need to psychoanalyze tivec to provide the latter.

Lets not be silly now, I'm not trying to psychoanalyse anyone, just trying to answer a simple question which is the OP didnt really provide much information and so the point of discussion is perfectly reasonable (or are you saying a discussion forum that only posters can post if they meet some high standard of approval).

This silly conversation wouldnt have got this far if a few people wouldnt be bleating on about how salty people are or how their opinion is better than others. As I said, I've given an opinion, I've said the world looks empty, prove me wrong, post some images, give some experiences to the contary, that would both be enlightning and probably be more interesting to people who are interested in buying, rather than hearing some elitest stuff about being more informed.  You can be informed without having played the game, that was the point, obviously that point is lost.

Rolstoppable's post has probably been the best so far, at least he's put his thoughts about the game into useful context.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network

It's incredible so far! I've never had such a feeling of being off on an adventure with any other game. The freedom you're given to go wherever you please is amazing. It takes a while to adapt to certain things, like your weapons being breakable but it adds an unexpected layer to the gameplay as I'll whack weak enemies with my low-end weapons because I want to keep my high damage swords for tougher encounters.

For the first time in decades, the game is actually challenging. I've run away from fights because I knew staying around was asking for death. The little of the story I've experienced so far is great and I could write more but I'm off to play the game instead

Signature goes here!

Yes it is, deffinetly deserves the 98.

The 7.8 user reviews are just trolls and fanboys trying to drag the score down because they don't want to buy a Nintendo console to play it, but they feel the need to further justify passing it up by attempting to make it look like an overrated game.

Playing it on Switch and loving it. Deserves all the praise it is receiving and very well could be GotG.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Its really, really good
its up there with my favorite Zelda's I hated Skyward Sword and Wind Waker
its right up there with MM and OOT imo and im just 15? hours in possibly even less.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
Madword said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Lets not be silly now, I'm not trying to psychoanalyse anyone, just trying to answer a simple question which is the OP didnt really provide much information and so the point of discussion is perfectly reasonable (or are you saying a discussion forum that only posters can post if they meet some high standard of approval).

This silly conversation wouldnt have got this far if a few people wouldnt be bleating on about how salty people are or how their opinion is better than others. As I said, I've given an opinion, I've said the world looks empty, prove me wrong, post some images, give some experiences to the contary, that would both be enlightning and probably be more interesting to people who are interested in buying, rather than hearing some elitest stuff about being more informed.  You can be informed without having played the game, that was the point, obviously that point is lost.

Rolstoppable's post has probably been the best so far, at least he's put his thoughts about the game into useful context.

Informing oneself is "elitist" now?

RolStoppable said:
I found the start to the game rough because it already featured situations with instant kills and ambiguous progress. I still get killed regularly after well over a dozen hours. This Zelda demands a lot more respect than almost every other game in the series; it's basically just the NES titles that are on a similar level. You have to correct your expectations of being a killing machine in the making to being weak sauce. You better have a plan when you encounter an enemy camp, or if you don't have one, stay away from it for your own safety.

The more I am able to adjust to the game, the more I enjoy it. What I have to adjust to aren't really bad things, it's merely that progress isn't served on a silver platter. Exploration pays off, heart containers really mean something. There are quite a few things I skipped past in my initial hours that I am only now discovering, and it seems there is still lots to learn.

I can agree with this. It reminds me very much of Gothic in this regard. It's a nice open world game with a Zelda skin.

However I so far cannot agree with the ludicrously high scores. I have yet to see a single thing it does better than other open world games I've played.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.