By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Breath of the Wild really that good?

Ajax said:
sc94597 said:

The 78% is just troll reviews. It is obvious when you read them.

The game is definitely in my top five best games of all time.

Wow so fast? 

What are those other 4 games?

It's in track to be my GOAT too. I don't say that lightly. There's so much awesomeness in this game.

Around the Network

This thread contains everything wrong with this site.

Salty people who haven't played the game posting about it being poor.

Misinformation around framerate drops (digital foundry had the Wii u down as the worst for the framerate)

Some guy who hasn't played it saying the graphics don't look good on the VIDEO of a game he watched, do you understand graphical drop-off during the recording of games?

And finally people actually trying to remotely justify those ludicrous meta critic scores...

As for the op, i bought a switch to play it, I've only played it docked, on my 42 inch year old TV it looks beautiful, provided you can appreciate the art style which fortunately for me I do, I haven't experienced any framerate drops in my 20 hours of docked play.

We are getting hooked up on graphics though when game play is the main point of games, this rush for more pixels is killing the game industry, as plenty of CEOs have said, graphics are the reason games are becoming so overpriced.

The game play in BOTW is great, a little annoying how quickly weapons break, but it seems the better the weapon the longer it lasts so I see this issue tapering somewhat.

The world is beautiful and fun and full of things to do and see and when people say you have complete freedom it's true. After the plateau if you want to rock up and face the final boss feel free to do so. Otherwise you can explore, you are given a suggested direction but 5 hours later I haven't made it there because the world is captivating and distracting.

This is the joy of games that a lot of modern games lack, you absolutely lose your self in a fun immersion world with great physics full freedom and a beautiful art style.

This is what games are meant to be, that's why it got such a high score, and although I will find more frustrations as I play through at this point I think the hype is very deserved, smashes the pants off horizon which is sad because I waited two years for it and now it sits waiting for me to complete Zelda, at which point I will need to restart it.

Of course horizon has more realistic graphics, but who here doesn't like Pixar films because the characters don't look realistic enough?! The gaming industry is just ridiculously poisonous.

Sony put out a congratulations to Nintendo on their twitter yet their fanboys can't see past tribalism, and I say that as a very happy owner of both systems for every generation since the psone/n64

Warned ~ CGI

As for the switch controllers, in the controller dock I found it nice enough to play, the second time I thought maybe I will just try it with a joycon in each hand, fully expecting it to be uncomfortable etc, however I think I will now find it hard to go back to a traditional controller. It works amazingly well with my xl hands (literally my glove size)

Kyuu said:
All games that exceed 95 are overrated. But BotW seems like a very high quality game and that is all that matters to me. As long as a game's quality hits 90 in my book, I don't mind it being overrated..

Though from what I've seen, a few gameplay sections annoyed me a little. Some dude on youtube is just sitting over a cliff or a rock, throwing these infinite blue bombs which the pig-faced enemies keep following to trigger them to explode. This goes on and on for like 5 minutes... is that supposed to be funny or what?

I think this type of game is better played than watched. Part of the enjoyment is in how many possibilities are open to you. If you see an enemy camp, you can ignore it, sneak in and use stealth, lure enemies near canyons and push them over, etc. I showed my mom the game last night, and her comment was that she preferred watching me play the last game I showed her (Uncharted 4), even if I'm having infinitely more fun playing BotW.

-----------

OT: I'm a huge Zelda fan, so my opinion probably isn't what you're looking for, but it's quite easily the best open world game I've ever played. Only a few minutes in, it fixes the biggest issue I had with Skyrim...in that you can climb the God damned mountains. This was huge for me, and exponentially increases the open world aspect. Almost everything is traversible, you get several tools early on, and there's a huge selection of weapons and items to use. I can already see that no two playthroughs of this game will be the same, because there's just so many possibilities, and I love every bit of it.

Metacritic needs a system that lets you filter out 0 reviews...because even broken games deserve better than that. This game though, I honestly think the deserves the high merit. It's really is something else.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

BotW is worth every penny – including a Switch if needed to play it. If something describes it best: Zelda BotW is breathtaking. If you know the real life feeling walking around in the woods and getting lost – this is what comes damn near to it.

The biggest problem I have found so far: those Bogoblinks look so cute. Its fun to watch them sleeping and chatting at a fire. And Link doesn't close doors automatically when stepping out of a house... .

Every time I get a bunch of Apples I feed one to my horse – Zelda BotW is such immersive.

I can't describe it better then by showing what it does with me as its player

Around the Network
Ivant said:

This is what games are meant to be, that's why it got such a high score, and although I will find more frustrations as I play through at this point I think the hype is very deserved, smashes the pants off horizon which is sad because I waited two years for it and now it sits waiting for me to complete Zelda, at which point I will need to restart it.

It most certainly is not. There is room for Zelda, Horizon, Heavy Rain, Journey, Halo, Uncharted and Minecraft. If that's what you like, then that's what you like, nothing more. Games are meant to be nothing specific and that's the beauty of them.

Also, not everyone who doesn't like what they see is a salty fanboy. Millions upon millions of gamers haven't played Uncharted 4 based on what they've seen not because they're salty fanboys, but because it doesn't appear to be their cup of tea. And there is nothing wrong with that. If someone doesn't like cartoony graphics, it's actually fine and it's a legitimate reason not to play those games. If they don't like a female protagonist, it's still fine. They don't have to be salty or whatever word people will come up with these days to insult others.

Ivant said:
This thread contains everything wrong with this site.

Salty people who haven't played the game posting about it being poor.

Misinformation around framerate drops (digital foundry had the Wii u down as the worst for the framerate)

Some guy who hasn't played it saying the graphics don't look good on the VIDEO of a game he watched, do you understand graphical drop-off during the recording of games?

And finally people actually trying to remotely justify those ludicrous meta critic scores...

As for the op, i bought a switch to play it, I've only played it docked, on my 42 inch year old TV it looks beautiful, provided you can appreciate the art style which fortunately for me I do, I haven't experienced any framerate drops in my 20 hours of docked play.

We are getting hooked up on graphics though when game play is the main point of games, this rush for more pixels is killing the game industry, as plenty of CEOs have said, graphics are the reason games are becoming so overpriced.

The game play in BOTW is great, a little annoying how quickly weapons break, but it seems the better the weapon the longer it lasts so I see this issue tapering somewhat.

The world is beautiful and fun and full of things to do and see and when people say you have complete freedom it's true. After the plateau if you want to rock up and face the final boss feel free to do so. Otherwise you can explore, you are given a suggested direction but 5 hours later I haven't made it there because the world is captivating and distracting.

This is the joy of games that a lot of modern games lack, you absolutely lose your self in a fun immersion world with great physics full freedom and a beautiful art style.

Of course horizon has more realistic graphics, but who here doesn't like Pixar films because the characters don't look realistic enough?! The gaming industry is just ridiculously poisonous.

Sony put out a congratulations to Nintendo on their twitter yet their fanboys can't see past tribalism, and I say that as a very happy owner of both systems for every generation since the psone/n64

Woah relax, people make impressions and idea of what they like or dont like based on hearing, seeing, smelling and tasting all the time. I dont need to eat a 3 course meal to know that I wont like it, or why. 

Also calling people salty because they have a different opinion is not recommended.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Those who haven't played it have no business here answering a question about BOTW. 

Im not on the Sony forums saying  "don't buy uncharted 4 because I found uncharted 1 to be too repetitive and didn't complete it",  I haven't played it, it isn't a series I enjoy its not my place to comment. 

Surely you can see people are unnecessarily throwing shade on a game that is absolutely deserving of its score, you not enjoying the games world or art style doesn't mean it's any less of a game for that. 

It's the ridiculous poisonous way of gamers to try to undermine a great game because it's not available to them on their system.

Ivant said:

Those who haven't played it have no business here answering a question about BOTW. 

Im not on the Sony forums saying  "don't buy uncharted 4 because I found uncharted 1 to be too repetitive and didn't complete it",  I haven't played it, it isn't a series I enjoy its not my place to comment. 

Surely you can see people are unnecessarily throwing shade on a game that is absolutely deserving of its score, you not enjoying the games world or art style doesn't mean it's any less of a game for that. 

It's the ridiculous poisonous way of gamers to try to undermine a great game because it's not available to them on their system.

Alright whose alt is this?

Ivant said:

This is a discussion forum, i.e its for discussion, just cause you dont like the discussion, no need to get all upset.

The game is scoring highly, and is hopefully for nintendo selling well (which is what it looks like), if you dont like the discussions, based on the fact that the topic is called "Is Breath of the Wild really that good"... then I'm afraid perhaps you need to keep away from discussion topics.

Also whats this got to do with Sony forums, I own PC, MAC, XBO360, Wii, WiiU, PS3, PS4.... been gaming since probably before you were even born.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!