By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. March bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

Nuvendil said:
Intrinsic said:

I think we will though, sony has already shown they are wiling to do it this year. But aside from that, the fact they have sold so well already and are still selling strong puts them in a position where cutting price to improve sales would make a lot of financial sense. Now more than ever market share is more important than per unit margins.

Also, I think they will cause its pretty much the only card they have to play outside software releases this year. Their one single big push would be on pricing.

But at the moment Xbox is in a really weak position and PS4 and Switch seem like they can coexist for now.  Unless MS blows the roof off the building at E3 (not looking likely), Sony's sales should be strong this year and their market share should continue to grow.  So if they can increase their share AND make good money per unit...why on earth would they not do that?  They've shown for years that they play the price game only when they really, seriously need to.  So yeah, unless MS starts gaining serious ground or Switch starts seriously eating into PS4 sales, I highly doubt they will cut the price aggressively.  It would be a waste of money if their sales are strong.

Thats short term thinking though.

Sometimes building a big install base, pays off big time down the line.

Sony 3 years into it, is still at the point where it probably should be pushing sales, simply because down the line it ll mean more profit.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
JRPGfan said:

I still think Sony does a 199$ at some point this year and sticks to it.

If scorpio launches at 499$ doubt it ll do 6m this year, that seems crazy high.

Also Unless MS does some good exclusives this year, it doesnt deserve great sales.

I don't think we will see 199 unless the PS4 sees note worthy declines Yoy which I don't see coming with their lineup.  Especially with their main competitor struggling so bad.  

The PS4 has been down by quite a bit YoY for the last 6 or 7 months and last month Sony cut the price of the hardware to $250 while MS cut theres to $250 also and console sales were down 30%. Sony will need to hit the $20 price range this year.

I think both consoles will drop to 250. Then I the holidays they will both do a temp drop to 199. Ms has to drop to 199. And Sony will do it as they try to win the holidays.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Nintendo will have some big game announcements at e3 I hope. Or at least Mario gameplay

7 hours since last update:

HARDWARE:
#01 NiS Grey (same)
#07 NiS Neon (up 2)
#14 PS4 UC4 (same)
#16 NES (down 1)
#50 NES Eu Version (up 6)
#97 XB1 Battlefield (down 1)
#98 PS4 Fool's Edition (re-entry)

SOFTWARE**:
#06 NiS Mario Kart 8 Delux (same)
#07 PS4 MLB The Show 2017 (same)
#09 PS4 Kingdom Hearsts Remix (down 1)
#12 PS4 Persona 5 SBE (down 1)

Does not affect this month: *
Software outside of the month only gets added if it's in the top 20:**

PS4: 2 in the top 100 / 1 in the top 50 / 1 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
XB1: 1 in the top 100 / 0 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
NIS:  2 in the top 100 / 2 in the top 50 / 2 in the top 20 / 2 in the top 10 / 1 in the top 5

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
craighopkins said:

Nintendo will have some big game announcements at e3 I hope. Or at least Mario gameplay

They Need to! 

Since Eurogamer is quite credible these days......... Expect Pokemon Stars to be true. I also expect Animal Crossing Switch to be announced (A smartphone games was planned to release before April but got moved). Same as Pikmin 4. Footage for FE Warriors, More on Splatoon 2, FE 2018, Hopefully SMT,  Xenoblade 2, that 2K game and Skyrim. Maybe announce a new character for Smash to get people hype up. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

What is with the ps4 pro stock? It isn't just Amazon any longer, it's local stores as well. None of the Best Buys in 250 miles of me have pros, and anecdotally I haven't seen any at the Walmarts I visit to buy groceries. I can understand being low key so that the focus can remain on the slim, but Sony seems a little too low key about what's a very good product. I wonder if they'll start to push it more when the Scorpio gets its price and release date revealed. 

Pro situation in the US does seem weird

It is always around in the UK Amazon charts, and is currently the highest ranked non-Switch sku

Jranation said:
craighopkins said:

They Need to! 

Since Eurogamer is quite credible these days......... Expect Pokemon Stars to be true. I also expect Animal Crossing Switch to be announced (A smartphone games was planned to release before April but got moved). Same as Pikmin 4. Footage for FE Warriors, More on Splatoon 2, FE 2018, Hopefully SMT,  Xenoblade 2, that 2K game and Skyrim. Maybe announce a new character for Smash to get people hype up. 

Eurogamer called Stars a rumor, if I remember correctly. They didn't give it the same credibility as when they talked about the Switch being a hybrid.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

10 hours since last update:

HARDWARE:
#01 NiS Grey (same)
#10 NiS Neon (down 3)
#14 PS4 UC4 (same)
#16 NES (same)
#49 NES Eu Version (up 1)

SOFTWARE**:
#05 NiS Mario Kart 8 Delux (up 1)
#06 PS4 MLB The Show 2017 (up 1)
#09 PS4 Kingdom Hearsts Remix (down 1)
#12 PS4 Persona 5 SBE (same)

Does not affect this month: *
Software outside of the month only gets added if it's in the top 20:**

PS4: 1 in the top 100 / 1 in the top 50 / 1 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
XB1: 0 in the top 100 / 0 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
NIS:  2 in the top 100 / 2 in the top 50 / 2 in the top 20 / 2 in the top 10 / 1 in the top 5

The PS5 Exists.