By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has sold 915k PSVR units to date

I really find it funny when people call this thing a peripheral. It is a display. No one calls the TV a peripheral for the consoles, and this is way bigger than a TV. This is a completely new way to experience everything. It goes far beyond gaming.

The way I like to explain it is, 1st we had radio, then we had TV, now we have VR. Radio is still great and people use it all the time, but you arn't going to sit around the radio to listen to the superbowl or sunday night story time. In the future people will still have TV, but when they really want to experience something with friends and family, they will hop into VR, and be transported to the event or experience.

Sony will not be abandoing VR, nor will the industry at large. This is the future of everything. Gaming is just the first step, School/Training is going to be huge in VR, Sports events will be massive in VR, Touring/Vacationing in VR will be a reality in the next 20 years. The reach of this medium is endless.

Sony has changed the name of the PlayStation division from Sony Computer Entertainment to Sony Interactive Entertainment, because they belive in the future of VR. In 10 years from now AAA experiences from Naughty Dog, Geurrilla Games, Polyphony Digital, Sucker Punch, Sony Bend, and the rest of Sony's in house teams will all be in VR. Traditional gaming will become what 2D and top down is today. Still a great experience, but something that can be delivered in extreamly high quality by low staff, and low budget studios.

1 Million PSVR, 500,000 HTC, and 250,000 Rifts is just fine. This is the start of something massive. I fully trust that Sony, Facebook, HTC, Microsoft, Samsung, Google, Apple, Lenovo, ASUS, MSI, AMD, Nvidia, and many more are going to contiue and grow this market. We will see massive growth for years, to come, and VR will be the single biggest reason for improvements in all things computing.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
SonytendoAmiibo said:
Normchacho said:

Why? Demand is outpacing their expectations. They're 90% of the way to their 6 month goal with almost two months to go after having severe supply issues. Why would they stop supporting something that's selling better than they thought it would?

FACT: Sony closed Guarilla Cambridge down. FACT: They were making games for PSVR.

They made a game for PSVR. If it spelled doom everytime a studio closed down there'd be no console makers left. Like I said, if it's exceeding expectations why would Sony abandon it?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

SonytendoAmiibo said:
Normchacho said:

Why? Demand is outpacing their expectations. They're 90% of the way to their 6 month goal with almost two months to go after having severe supply issues. Why would they stop supporting something that's selling better than they thought it would?

FACT: Sony closed Guarilla Cambridge down. FACT: They were making games for PSVR.

FACT It was very much a mediocre game. Besides having a studio dedicated for VR games isn't smart. Games like Resi 7 which are fully compatible with VR is where the future lies. I bet the fact the PS4 version of resi 7 demolished the Xone version has something to do with VR.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

TallSilhouette said:
Barozi said:
Kinect was at ~9 million after the same time. Sure it wasn't quite as expensive but does that really explain that difference in sales?

A $100-150 peripheral with a big marketing push vs. a $400-500 one with supply issues? I'd say so.

So you're saying Sony is to blame for these low sales for not marketing it well and not having enough manufactured to be shipped to retailers? Gotcha.

Zekkyou said:
Barozi said:
Only further proves that VR is a very niche part of the gaming industry.

Kinect was at ~9 million after the same time. Sure it wasn't quite as expensive but does that really explain that difference in sales? I think not. And we know how the bad the support for it was.

While i agree the Kinect was far more successful (even considering cost), i think you're undervaluing the effect of price. I don't believe PSVR being $150 would have gotten it to Kinect numbers (maybe not even half), but the difference between $150 and $400 is huge. 

360 saw a huge surge in sales during the holiday season Kinect came out. About 1.5m more consoles sold than the holiday season before it. That's no $150, that's $300 for the arcade bundle and $400 for the elite bundle.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
Zekkyou said:

While i agree the Kinect was far more successful (even considering cost), i think you're undervaluing the effect of price. I don't believe PSVR being $150 would have gotten it to Kinect numbers (maybe not even half), but the difference between $150 and $400 is huge. 

360 saw a huge surge in sales during the holiday season Kinect came out. About 1.5m more consoles sold than the holiday season before it. That's no $150, that's $300 for the arcade bundle and $400 for the elite bundle.

I don't really see how that proves your point, it just shifts the variables.

As i said, i don't believe a comparably priced PSVR would have sold as well as the Kinect. I just don't understand how you can wave away something being so much more expensive. Even if you already own a PS4, PSVR's minimum entry fee is still $100 more. 

Again, i don't believe a $150 PSVR would have done as well as the Kinect, but at $150 you'd literally be able to buy a PS4 with the saved money. If tomorrow Sony revealed a "Buy a PSVR, get a PS4 free" promotion, do you not think it'd boost PSVR's sales in any meaningful way?

RolStoppable said:
Means that Superdata got something right for once. They revised their estimate to 750k by the end of 2016.

If we assume that their estimates for Oculus Rift and Vive are correct (not much faith in that), then we'll be looking at ~2m units sold for all three VR headsets combined over their respective first twelve months.

VR is the future confirmed. A scary future .

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Barozi said:
TallSilhouette said:

A $100-150 peripheral with a big marketing push vs. a $400-500 one with supply issues? I'd say so.

So you're saying Sony is to blame for these low sales for not marketing it well and not having enough manufactured to be shipped to retailers? Gotcha.

Might wanna read over this again Barozi because you just invented a paradox.

Has low sales

Not marketed well

Their fault for selling out everywhere?

Barozi said:
TallSilhouette said:

Yes, clearly Sony should have sold it for $100-150 losing hundreds of dollars on each unit sold. Great point. How did we all not see this?

Once again. Internet people > Sony

naruball said:
Barozi said:

Yes, clearly Sony should have sold it for $100-150 losing hundreds of dollars on each unit sold. Great point. How did we all not see this?

Once again. Internet people > Sony

You should read much more carefully. In the post I quoted there were three different points why the sales are how they are.

1. marketing
2. price
3. availability

I mentioned marketing and availability. Nowhere did I mention price, so why do you attack me on that?