By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has sold 915k PSVR units to date

Zekkyou said:
Barozi said:

I don't wave away anything. I know it's more expensive, I know that it has a negative impact on sales. The question was, does the 267% more expensive peripheral explain the ~1000% difference in sales.

I think there's been a misunderstanding. When you continued to focus on that point after i'd already said i don't believe a a comparably priced PSVR would have sold as well as the Kinect, it seemed like you were totally disregarding it as a significant variable. 

I have to disagree with you there. I think a $150 PS VR could easily shift 25M units. And as long as it was of the same quality as it is now, it would actually deliver on its promise much better than Kinect ever did. That's going to go a long ways in terms of word of mouth sales.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
JRPGfan said:

4 months to reach 915k.... well its not so bad, not fantastic nrs either though.

Seen in that light, its actually doing pretty well compaired to the other VR headsets.

also:

"Sony’s internal goal was to sell one million of the headsets in its first six months, by mid-April. The company will almost certainly surpass that forecast."

Yea but what happens after 6 months is the true test.

4 months means this had a holiday already. And it had it's early adaptors, tech guys ect already jump on board.

I wouldn't be surprised if this thing never reaches 2 million. $400 is a lot of money to pay for a novelty. It will need a lot more RE7's to have legs.

Farpoint is coming out in May so there's that. However, PSVR needs a lot of software on the long run. It doesn't necessarily need PSVR-only games, but as long as developers offer a very good supplementary VR experience, then it should continue to do decently.

irstupid said:
JRPGfan said:

4 months to reach 915k.... well its not so bad, not fantastic nrs either though.

Seen in that light, its actually doing pretty well compaired to the other VR headsets.

also:

"Sony’s internal goal was to sell one million of the headsets in its first six months, by mid-April. The company will almost certainly surpass that forecast."

Yea but what happens after 6 months is the true test.

4 months means this had a holiday already. And it had it's early adaptors, tech guys ect already jump on board.

I wouldn't be surprised if this thing never reaches 2 million. $400 is a lot of money to pay for a novelty. It will need a lot more RE7's to have legs.

The hoilday season doesn't count since it's been sold out in most places soon as stock has become available.

For a $400 accessory that's not bad. Though, bigger question is if this is freely available now? If this is no longer sold out then, I think this is doing what I expected... lifetime of a couple million only.

I've maintained that VR is no different than 3D and that it will be niche at best, then fade away.

John2290 said:
Oh that is a tiny number.

Its not tiny its absolutely mind blowing. Pretty sure PSVR sold double what the Rift and the Vive combined sold. 

Sony themselfs are surprised.

VR is on the very beginning. You can not compare it to other types of proven Hardware. I am amazed that it reached 1 Million. This means we have a Userbase of 1.5 Million over all Platforms which is pretty impressive. With the next gen of hardware they might double or triple that. 

Right now VR is very crude. Wireless Higher FOV 4k per eye. Inside out Tracking and this technology will really start to take off. 

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

I decided to skip on Psychonauts for now...

Too bad, I would have liked a second opinion.

I personally had a blast playing Rhombus of Ruin (twice), but I am a biased Psychonauts fan... can't wait for Psychonauts 2 and I really hope they will add a VR-option for the main game.

superchunk said:
For a $400 accessory that's not bad. Though, bigger question is if this is freely available now? If this is no longer sold out then, I think this is doing what I expected... lifetime of a couple million only.

I've maintained that VR is no different than 3D and that it will be niche at best, then fade away.

This isn't fading away it's not cheap like VR. Then tech needs to improve that's it. Then again that was PS4. Not sure how much better it is on PC.

It's a bit underwhelming. Comparing with Rift and Vive, it simply killed both with fire. But none of them has a install base high enough to make games profitable. Sony, HTC/Valve and Oculus will have to keep paying developers to get games done until any of them reach a sizable base. Only PSVR has a chance of doing so, the rest is DOA.

Conina said:
SvennoJ said:

I decided to skip on Psychonauts for now...

I personally had a blast playing Rhombus of Ruin (twice), but I am a biased Psychonauts fan... can't wait for Psychonauts 2 and I really hope they will add a VR-option for the main game.

I'm a biased Phychonauts fan too, as in I tried 3 times to like Psychonauts and just can't get into it! So hence my hesitation when reviews turned out rather mixed and it turning out to be another short experience. Mervils a VR adventure however instantly put a big smile on my face again. 3rd person action platformer thingie, simple but fun.

SvennoJ said:
Conina said:

I'm a biased Phychonauts fan too, as in I tried 3 times to like Psychonauts and just can't get into it! So hence my hesitation when reviews turned out rather mixed and it turning out to be another short experience. Mervils a VR adventure however instantly put a big smile on my face again. 3rd person action platformer thingie, simple but fun.

Really?!? Is it that good? It looked cool and I want a longer VR game, but I wasn't sure if I would pick it up.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.