By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Trump's First Solo Press Conference as President

Soundwave said:
Slimebeast said:

Bold: Yep, they sure are winners of the lottery. Differences in beauty between people I think is one of the biggest inequalities in our modern society (along with related traits such as charisma, self-esteem and confidence). And it's an inequality that is very hard for society or the state to correct or compensate for. It's a huge issue that many people are instinctively aware of and bothered with, but is seldom talked about.

Yeah, I agree that in general you could say that. That there is a correlation between the intelligence of people and the intelligence of their opinions. But such claims should be made with care...

Hey, I gave you good examples. It's not as simple as characterizing people as assholes. And "aversion" is too strong of a word for most cases. You don't have to feel aversion to other type of people only because you prefer to socialize with people who share your own traits, status or interests.

Your last paragraph, I agree with that. Most people see it that way, that being born a certain way (not just racially) is not something to be proud of. Because you didn't earn it, you didn't necessarily deserve it. It was just given to you by luck and chance. And yet we admire the handsome, the charismatic, the intelligent, the pleasant people. Naturally we try to take advantage of all the good traits we were born with.

Soundwave, you aren't wealthy are you? You admitted it in another thread. As a doctor I'm probably wealthier than you.

Slime -- 

If you have to earn a yearly salary you're probably not wealthier ;). But I don't hold that over anyone, it was a fluke, it's inherited, I don't do anything in particular to earn it. 

But none of my friends are rich. I don't particularily really care for their company either, I don't really care what income class someone is part of, if I meet you and you seem like a nice/cool person, we can be friends, it's basically that simple. I don't care if you're white/brown/black/tall/short/freckled/red hair/black hair/brown hair/etc. 

Okay, mr Rich.

But I think you look at this a bit too simple. How we people end up in certain groups socially, it's complex and determined by so many factors. Few people expressly say that "I avoid blue/yellow/green people", but we tend to group together according to certain traits and patterns anyway. DIfferences. Sometimes it's good, sometimes bad.

It becomes more interesting when our tolerance truly is tested. You boast and say "it's basically that simple, I don't care". But what about people with stupid opinions? If somebody is a cool person, intelligent, charismatic and a gamer, but he also holds some racist opinions, would you accept or reject him on a personal level? If somebody is extremely ugly, socially awkward and smells bad, would you care just as much about his company, than the company of a hot chick lol?

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Soundwave said:

Slime -- 

If you have to earn a yearly salary you're probably not wealthier ;). But I don't hold that over anyone, it was a fluke, it's inherited, I don't do anything in particular to earn it. 

But none of my friends are rich. I don't particularily really care for their company either, I don't really care what income class someone is part of, if I meet you and you seem like a nice/cool person, we can be friends, it's basically that simple. I don't care if you're white/brown/black/tall/short/freckled/red hair/black hair/brown hair/etc. 

Okay, mr Rich.

But I think you look at this a bit too simple. How we people end up in certain groups socially, it's complex and determined by so many factors. Few people expressly say that "I avoid blue/yellow/green people", but we tend to group together according to certain traits and patterns anyway. DIfferences. Sometimes it's good, sometimes bad.

It becomes more interesting when our tolerance truly is tested. You boast and say "it's basically that simple, I don't care". But what about people with stupid opinions? If somebody is a cool person, intelligent, charismatic and a gamer, but he also holds some racist opinions, would you accept or reject him on a personal level? If somebody is extremely ugly, socially awkward and smells bad, would you care just as much about his company, than the company of a hot chick lol?

I have friends with some borderline racist views. I tolerate them and I politely appeal to their better angels. But a full on Neo-Nazi or something? No I couldn't be friends with that person, but again I wouldn't be friends with a rapist or whatever either. Of course there are limits. 

I have a "ugly friends". And sure I'd rather hang out with them than a "hot chick", don't get me wrong, I'd rather sleep with the hot chick, lol, but if you're talking about who I'd rather hang out with, I'd rather chill out with my buddies. Women who are good looking but have an ugly personality is a turn off honestly. I worked as an intern in a modelling/acting agency for shits and giggles one summer (a friend's dad owned the company), believe me too ... most of them look totally different without the make up on, lol. It's not the be all end all. 

I actually tend to be over protective of "socially awkward" people, if I notice someone at my group is that way, I'll probably go a bit out of my way to try and make them feel comfortable or engage them a bit more. 

NintendoPie said:
He's doing a marvelous job at living up to my expectations for him. Actually, I would say he's surpassed them. Pure ineptitude.

So, is that a good or bad thing?

Slimebeast said:
Soundwave said:

Slime -- 

Okay, mr Rich.

You can be the most tolerant person to exist and still find yourself hanging out with people who are like you. Go to a public school cafeteria and see for yourself what I'm talking about- typically black kids sick together, white kids sit together, asians sit together, etc. Of course, what I'm saying isn't solid fact, but it reflects the mindset many people have. At the end of the day, we go back to people who are similar to us or have certain features we enjoy. I'm not a psychologist or anything, but I am pretty sure it is how we lived for the majority of our time on Earth.

I think the problem with the racist opinion issue is that the severity of their racism isn't specified. Do they simply dislike, say, Africans, or are they on the level of fascists/neocons? 

For the hot chick vs friends thing, at least the friend can fix himself up (besides his looks) and be a decent person. Most hot people only have their looks to rely on.

monocle_layton said:
NintendoPie said:
He's doing a marvelous job at living up to my expectations for him. Actually, I would say he's surpassed them. Pure ineptitude.

So, is that a good or bad thing?

Slimebeast said:

Okay, mr Rich.

You can be the most tolerant person to exist and still find yourself hanging out with people who are like you. Go to a public school cafeteria and see for yourself what I'm talking about- typically black kids sick together, white kids sit together, asians sit together, etc. Of course, what I'm saying isn't solid fact, but it reflects the mindset many people have. At the end of the day, we go back to people who are similar to us or have certain features we enjoy. I'm not a psychologist or anything, but I am pretty sure it is how we lived for the majority of our time on Earth.

I think the problem with the racist opinion issue is that the severity of their racism isn't specified. Do they simply dislike, say, Africans, or are they on the level of fascists/neocons? 

For the hot chick vs friends thing, at least the friend can fix himself up (besides his looks) and be a decent person. Most hot people only have their looks to rely on.

I would say yes and no to the cafeteria thing. Yes that happens, but it's not like an exclusive club. Most of those people have friends from other groups too. 

Compared to your parents for example would you say you have more friends/friendly aquantancies of differing ethnicities. The answer is probably yes. And that will probably be even true moreso for our kids. 

craighopkins said:
trump is the man. he is spot on when he calls out the fake media.

Yeah boi!

It's actually my favourite thing when he gives it to them.

And his approval ratings are climbing!

Our PM here in Australia has started growing some balls lately too. I think they Trump effect might have had something to do with it.

Around the Network

How is it "fake news" when he fired his National Security Advisor. It would be fake news if he didn't fire him, but he did fire him. That actually happened.

I'm sorry but stupidity only goes so far before it runs into reality. He fired his own national security advisor, the press is well within their rights to ask questions about it.

If Hilary Clinton had this scandal tied to her, people would be calling for her to be strung up. By the way Trump uses a private email server and he continues to post tweets from an Android phone, which I'm pretty sure is a national security liability but lets never mind that. 

Soundwave said:

How is it "fake news" when he fired his National Security Advisor. It would be fake news if he didn't fire him, but he did fire him. That actually happened.

I'm sorry but stupidity only goes so far before it runs into reality. He fired his own national security advisor, the press is well within their rights to ask questions about it.

If Hilary Clinton had this scandal tied to her, people would be calling for her to be strung up. By the way Trump uses a private email server and he continues to post tweets from an Android phone, which I'm pretty sure is a national security liability but lets never mind that. 

"buh... buh me alternative facts expose dem liberals!" 

Trump is an unmitigated disaster and embarrassment to America. I get that there are many people that have been left behind economically in America and just want change, but strongly think they are doing the wrong thing by supporting someone incompetent in the job and a liar.  He lied even during his conference and when called out just brushed it off.  It's astounding there people who think HE is telling the truth and the media making this up.

My 8th gen collection

Locknuts said:
craighopkins said:
trump is the man. he is spot on when he calls out the fake media.

Yeah boi!

It's actually my favourite thing when he gives it to them.

And his approval ratings are climbing!

Our PM here in Australia has started growing some balls lately too. I think they Trump effect might have had something to do with it.

They actually aren't. He quoted the one poll that showed him with decent approval and failed to bring up the half dozen others that show him in the low 40's and under. There has never been a President as unpopular in his first six months in office. Not by a sizable margin.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

craighopkins said:
most people don't have 1/8 the courage and brains Trump has. hes called out alot of evil things going on in the world

That's true. Most people have 2-3 times the brains he has. And enough common sense to see that Trump's "attack mode" style of speaking is the defense mechanism of a fearful little man.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7