By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Trump's First Solo Press Conference as President

Soundwave said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Communism is good because crazy lady was crazy.

ISIS don't believe that Shia are human therefore it isn't cannibalism. Not saying I agree, just saying they're free to belive whatver they want and it's a damn shame someone with a gun wasn't there to stop them.

Actually I believe ISIS is literally a death cult. They want to bring about the End Times (and yes that means all the wackier parts of the Bible) and legitimately believe in all that. That is their stated goal. They are big fans of Trump because he feeds into their narrative. 

There's crazy and then there's *fucking crazy*, and there's a difference. ISIS is so nutty even Al Qeada thinks they're nuts. This is like the Joker telling you you might be need to get some help. 

Plenty of people want the 'end times'. Christian/Muslim/4chan nihilists. So what, they're nothing.

Pussy Europeans (and Americans) thinking ISIS is even remotely a threat. Deal with it ffs.

The threat comes when you try and stop every crazy from being crazy. It's impossible. You end up giving away the freedoms you're supposed to be fighting for.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
Soundwave said:

Actually I believe ISIS is literally a death cult. They want to bring about the End Times (and yes that means all the wackier parts of the Bible) and legitimately believe in all that. That is their stated goal. They are big fans of Trump because he feeds into their narrative. 

There's crazy and then there's *fucking crazy*, and there's a difference. ISIS is so nutty even Al Qeada thinks they're nuts. This is like the Joker telling you you might be need to get some help. 

Plenty of people want the 'end times'. Christian/Muslim/4chan nihilists. So what, they're nothing.

Pussy Europeans (and Americans) thinking ISIS is even remotely a threat. Deal with it ffs.

The threat comes when you try and stop every crazy from being crazy. It's impossible. You end up giving away the freedoms you're supposed to be fighting for.

Plenty of people sorta/kinda believe it, but not everyone is actively involved in a political/military movement to bring that about tomorrow, lol. That's kind of a difference. 

ISIS' goals are not really to invade Europe either. Europe or America in the long run has no value to them, it's certainly not the holy land. They have no real interest in occupying Euopre or the US. It's to incite a war in the Middle East (a nuclear war) that will destroy the world. That's the end game. Al Qeada's goals were more of that pan-Sunni-ism spreading everywhere. 

I think most Europeans and Americans realize ISIS is a threat, but the factual reality is you're probably about 100x more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than in a terrorist attack. Doesn't mean there shouldn't be vigilence against ISIS, but they are not exactly some mighty fighting force either. They are smaller than the Ethopian army ... in a fight 1-on-1 they would lose in a weekend against any real organized military force. 

Soundwave said:
Slimebeast said:

A mod asked us to go back on topic, so I'm trying to turn down or wind down (or however it's said in English) my role in the discussion, but still a comment.

I don't know in detail how white supremacists think about it, but intelligence of races is probably only one factor to explain how Europeans are superior. They also emphasize the strength of European culture and heritage, and even historical circumstances.

To me it's not that dramatic. It's not evil to think that one race (in combination with its historical heritage and culture) is superior - as in being successful - compared with others, as long as you don't claim that that somehow gives them a higher value, or use it as a reason to oppress others.

If Asians and Jews are more intelligent than whites, at least in sub-groups of intelligence like the ones that are measured in IQ tests, why couldn't I still be happy about my own race, culture and tribe and what it has accomplished? Like you said several times in the thread, a high IQ doesn't guarantee success. There are other factors.

Also, you can think that your own race is the most successful "overall" and is worthy of preservation, and yet admire other races for their higher IQ, or for their higher physical strength.

Simultaneously a person of reasonable intelligence should also understand they are all part of the singular human race as well. It takes a real lack of intelligence to force yourself to overlook that fact as well. 

You are in the same boat as everyone else whether you want to admit it or not. 

Also how would you feel if an Asian person came up to you and said "you're not worth talking to, your pathetic European intellect is inferior to mine, I don't dislike you, I just prefer to be in the company of more intelligent fellow Asians" ... I'm guessing probably after hearing that 4 or 5 times, it would begin to piss you off. Just a wild guess. A person who behaved that way in my opinion would be an asshole, that's just another way of putting it. 

Racist people in general IMO tend to be the least intelligent, in fact they have more in common with the racists of their own differing sub-groups most likely. It's a mindset, and not a particularily bright one at that I find. 

And they do simultaneously understand that we're all part of the human race and that we should respect each other! But that doesn't contradict at all with wanting to preserve your own culture and identity as a people. In some ways we all sit in the same boat, but in other ways we don't.

Your Asian caricature is pretty stupid. Because people do this all the time! Include some people and exclude others. Not based on intelligence so much, but based on hundreds of other traits that unify some people and exclude others. Based on common ethnicity, race, culture, sex, age, education, economy, interests, level of intellect, you name it!!

Kurds might prefer to hang with other Kurds rather than with Turks. Iranians might exlude Arabs. Black guys might feel more comfortable to hang with other blacks. The cool football guys may want to hang with each other (and beautiful chicks) and avoid nerds. Teenage girls may want to hang in groups with other girls. Intellectuals might want to avoid dumb people. Rich people may politely turn down the company of poor people. Gamers may tend to socialize with other gamers (online mostly lol).

People tend to socialize with people they are similar with, with whom they share goals and interests and this happens all the time everywhere. It's the most natural thing to do. It doesn't automatically mean you're an asshole.

Yes, racists in general have lower intelligence than other groups of people, that's an observation I totally agree with. But what does that say about anything? How is that relevant to this discussion? (Very good Soundwave, you admit that you also tend to identify certain traits in certain groups of people without having hard evidence! It's the point of the whole discussion. Measurable differences between groups)

Slimebeast said:
Soundwave said:

Simultaneously a person of reasonable intelligence should also understand they are all part of the singular human race as well. It takes a real lack of intelligence to force yourself to overlook that fact as well. 

You are in the same boat as everyone else whether you want to admit it or not. 

Also how would you feel if an Asian person came up to you and said "you're not worth talking to, your pathetic European intellect is inferior to mine, I don't dislike you, I just prefer to be in the company of more intelligent fellow Asians" ... I'm guessing probably after hearing that 4 or 5 times, it would begin to piss you off. Just a wild guess. A person who behaved that way in my opinion would be an asshole, that's just another way of putting it. 

Racist people in general IMO tend to be the least intelligent, in fact they have more in common with the racists of their own differing sub-groups most likely. It's a mindset, and not a particularily bright one at that I find. 

And they do simultaneously understand that we're all part of the human race and that we should respect each other! But that doesn't contradict at all with wanting to preserve your own culture and identity as a people. In some ways we all sit in the same boat, but in other ways we don't.

Your Asian caricature is pretty stupid. Because people do this all the time! Include some people and exclude others. Not based on intelligence so much, but based on hundreds of other traits that unify some people and exclude others. Based on common ethnicity, race, culture, sex, age, education, economy, interests, level of intellect, you name it!!

Kurds might prefer to hang with other Kurds rather than with Turks. Iranians might exlude Arabs. Black guys might feel more comfortable to hang with other blacks. The cool football guys may want to hang with each other (and beautiful chicks) and avoid nerds. Teenage girls may want to hang in groups with other girls. Intellectuals might want to avoid dumb people. Rich people may politely turn down the company of poor people. Gamers may tend to socialize with other gamers (online mostly lol).

People tend to socialize with people they are similar with, with whom they share goals and interests and this happens all the time everywhere. It's the most natural thing to do. It doesn't automatically mean you're an asshole.

Yes, racists in general have lower intelligence than other groups of people, that's an observation I totally agree with. But what does that say about anything? How is that relevant to this discussion?

To be honest, the people who should have the most huffing and puffing about "genetic superiority" should be good looking people, lol. They are the literal winners of the genetic lottery, they should be above everyone (and in many cases they are). 

Racist people having lower intelligence implies that their beliefs are of lower intelligence. People may feel comfortable with similar type of people, but if they are actively excluding people from being different from them on a superficial basis, then yes sure, I'd call that person an asshole. 

I'm wealthy (by good fortune I'll admit) but if I refuse to sit with a person who only makes say $30,000 a year because I have an aversion to poor people  .... yes I'm an asshole, and yes I'd fully admit to it because it's a rather asshole thing to do. 

Genetics as an inheritence in a lot of ways is the laziest way of self-validation one can have. No one earns their genetics, it's a random bunch of lottery balls. So you have genes that made you tall, or your skin hue one way, or your hair color one way ... so the fuck what. No one earns any of that. I'm more interested in people based on what they do with their life and how they treat others (as in their character). These are your actions that show what kind of person you are, and that is earned, not gifted through chromosomes. 

Assume for a second that white people on average have a higher IQ than black people.

So what?

Europe was saved by the (mostly Muslim/Sikh/Hindu/brown/black) British Empire and the US of ex-Slaves.

Not so clever now, huh?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

Alright, I don't need to repeat myself. Race and IQ/intelligence are not relevant to the topic.

Soundwave said:
Slimebeast said:

Yes, racists in general have lower intelligence than other groups of people, that's an observation I totally agree with. But what does that say about anything? How is that relevant to this discussion?

To be honest, the people who should have the most huffing and puffing about "genetic superiority" should be good looking people, lol. They are the literal winners of the genetic lottery, they should be above everyone (and in many cases they are). 

Racist people having lower intelligence implies that their beliefs are of lower intelligence. People may feel comfortable with similar type of people, but if they are actively excluding people from being different from them on a superficial basis, then yes sure, I'd call that person an asshole. 

I'm wealthy (by good fortune I'll admit) but if I refuse to sit with a person who only makes say $30,000 a year because I have an aversion to poor people  .... yes I'm an asshole, and yes I'd fully admit to it because it's a rather asshole thing to do. 

Genetics as an inheritence in a lot of ways is the laziest way of self-validation one can have. No one earns their genetics, it's a random bunch of lottery balls. So you have genes that made you tall, or your skin hue one way, or your hair color one way ... so the fuck what. No one earns any of that. I'm more interested in people based on what they do with their life and how they treat others (as in their character). These are your actions that show what kind of person you are, and that is earned, not gifted through chromosomes. 

Bold: Yep, they sure are winners of the lottery. Differences in beauty between people I think is one of the biggest inequalities in our modern society (along with related traits such as charisma, self-esteem and confidence). And it's an inequality that is very hard for society or the state to correct or compensate for. It's a huge issue that many people are instinctively aware of and bothered with, but is seldom talked about.

Yeah, I agree that in general you could say that. That there is a correlation between the intelligence of people and the intelligence of their opinions. But such claims should be made with care...

Hey, I gave you good examples. It's not as simple as characterizing people as assholes. And "aversion" is too strong of a word for most cases. You don't have to feel aversion to other type of people only because you prefer to socialize with people who share your own traits, status or interests.

Your last paragraph, I agree with that. Most people see it that way, that being born a certain way (not just racially) is not something to be proud of. Because you didn't earn it, you didn't necessarily deserve it. It was just given to you by luck and chance. And yet we admire the handsome, the charismatic, the intelligent, the pleasant people. Naturally we try to take advantage of all the good traits we were born with.

Soundwave, you aren't wealthy are you? You admitted it in another thread. As a doctor I'm probably wealthier than you.

Slimebeast said:
Soundwave said:

Bold: Yep, they sure are winners of the lottery. Differences in beauty between people I think is one of the biggest inequalities in our modern society (along with related traits such as charisma, self-esteem and confidence). And it's an inequality that is very hard for society or the state to correct or compensate for. It's a huge issue that many people are instinctively aware of and bothered with, but is seldom talked about.

Yeah, I agree that in general you could say that. That there is a correlation between the intelligence of people and the intelligence of their opinions. But such claims should be made with care...

Hey, I gave you good examples. It's not as simple as characterizing people as assholes. And "aversion" is too strong of a word for most cases. You don't have to feel aversion to other type of people only because you prefer to socialize with people who share your own traits, status or interests.

Your last paragraph, I agree with that. Most people see it that way, that being born a certain way (not just racially) is not something to be proud of. Because you didn't earn it, you didn't necessarily deserve it. It was just given to you by luck and chance. And yet we admire the handsome, the charismatic, the intelligent, the pleasant people. Naturally we try to take advantage of all the good traits we were born with.

Soundwave, you aren't wealthy are you? You admitted it in another thread. As a doctor I'm probably wealthier than you.

Slime -- 

If you have to earn a yearly salary you're probably not wealthier ;). But I don't hold that over anyone, it was a fluke, it's inherited, I don't do anything in particular to earn it. That said I wasn't born wealthy, it came later when I was in my early teens, so I know what it's like to be raised middle/working class. 

But none of my friends are rich. I don't particularily really care for the company of rich people, I don't really care what income class someone is part of, if I meet you and you seem like a nice/cool person, we can be friends, it's basically that simple. I don't care if you're white/brown/black/tall/short/freckled/red hair/black hair/brown hair/etc. 

I don't know how this thread went to race, but I could care less.

I'm very concerned about Trump's ability to engage in press conferences. Very poor at this it seems. Even though I dislike some of Obama's policies, he appeared professional, never constantly referred to his opponent, and was overall very solid in conferences.

At the same time, I dislike what some of the reporters do. If you're going to ask a question, don't ask a loaded question. Don't try to debate as well. I understand clarifying some things, but it seems like many of them were trying to get the answer they want.

He's doing a marvelous job at living up to my expectations for him. Actually, I would say he's surpassed them. Pure ineptitude.