By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Microsoft will make Minecraft exclusive to xbox in the future.

No, just no.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Snoopy said:

My point being is Microsoft is known to buy games like Halo and Gears to push xbox sales and realsing on their console only. I think Minecraft will be next. Microsoft wants windows 10 to dominate. Smartphones may have the game, but I can see Microsoft skipping out on steam and playstation in the future.

I've said it in my first post that Microsoft has been moving away from making exclusive games for Xbox. But considering where this is going, I have to ask you why you made a prediction for Xbox exclusivity when it looks like you expect Minecraft to still be on pretty much any device that runs Windows 10. What's up with that, Snoopy?

There will still be minecraft pocket edition and maybe a mac version because mac isn't much competition at this point. However, this could be used to push windows 10 over steam/ playstation.

RolStoppable said:
Snoopy said:

I don't see Halo on the Switch or PS5 or at least yet... Microsoft probably giving the game to Nintendo because they want Japan to be exposed to the game and Nintendo isn't really their competition. Nintendo is going a different route from xbox one and ps4 (which is cool).

The topic is about Minecraft and Xbox exclusivity. If you want to talk about other things, make a new thread and stop bothering the people who make good points.

You state that MS are moving away from Xbox exclusives so why are games like Halo still exclusive to Xbox? Thats not a very good point at all.

As for the OP, i agree that i dont see the reason for MS to release Minecraft on the next PS platform. Clearly the game was contracted to be on PS4 however PS5 and beyond, there is no point with a new generation. They will hold on tight with there game and use to it drive there hardware platofmrs only. Thats my prediction.

As for the Switch version, like the OP states that Nintendo isnt in competition with Xbox and MS. Nintendo seem to have a healthy relationship with MS hence why MS still released Rare games on Gameboy after there purchase. The Switch is also a portable device which will drive Minecraft in the portable market however as for home consoles there really only needs to be one home console. If gamers dont like it, well they have plenty of time to think about there next home console purchase since there not coming out in awhile. I do suggest that if you want to play it safe and are a huge Minecraft fan i suggest getting the console which owns the IP. Than you wont be disapointed.

Nope. A game like Minecraft would suffer greatly if it was limited to a single platform. I mean, the thing is everywhere, it would be a shock just turn it into an exlusive like that.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Yeah, cause putting it on the next-gen console is a great sign of their efforts to make it exclusive

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Azzanation said:

You state that MS are moving away from Xbox exclusives so why are games like Halo still exclusive to Xbox? Thats not a very good point at all.

(...)

There has been no new Halo release since Microsoft has changed their strategy, that's why Halo (well, most of the games) is still exclusive to Xbox. Going forward, however, it's going to be PC+Xbox for Microsoft. The upcoming Halo Wars 2 will be multiplatform and it would be surprising if Halo 6 didn't fall under the Play Anywhere label that is PC+Xbox by default.

Yep, Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3 are already on that track, Halo 6's eventual release is almost certainly going to follow the same path.

An IP such as Minecraft is profitable because of licensing. Stores are crammed full of overpriced Minecraft junk, Minecraft lego stuff, etc. That means that you want the biggest exposure possible to keep that fire going. Crossing out the console with (by far) the largest global marketshare would be an idiotic move that won't pass muster. If this was still Microsoft 2007-2013 era, it would be a possible idea. Mehdi's MS? Not a chance. Dollars and sense-wise, this is about overall market penetration for the IP.

They've already been extremely lukewarm with the Xbox tie-in on Minecraft, which seems a lost opportunity to me. The Minecraft Xbox bundle should have included a custom Minecraft-themed console and controller for sure.

But overall, selling Minecraft the game for $20 to a kid is much less interesting to them than having that same kid beg his parents for $500 worth of Minecraft junk over the next few years of his life, Microsoft getting a cut of every bit of that with no effort or expense expended, whether or not he has any, all, or zero consoles or PCs beyond whatever platform he got the thing on to start with.

Expanding the marketing cross-reach should be their goal. You should be able to go out and buy the Minecraft Star Wars add-on pack for your game for $20, the Marvel Avengers pack, the Guardians of the Galaxy pack, etc. Terrible value perhaps to the PC modder fans, but for those playing on Phone, WiiU, Vita, PS4, Xbox One, etc, I'm more than confident that would sell gangbusters.

Sure... if they are willing to lose millions in sales.

I wonder how popular Minecraft will still be in a few years.

Only if Minecraft will stay very popular and the next xbox is a huge fail, they might make it an exclusive.

Lmao never in a milion years, It managed to sell 1M on Vita, heck, it'll sell 1M on the Switch...

My prediction is it will go cross-play and you can access your world from pc, consoles and mobile