By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How do you think Breath of the wild will be recieved by Critics? Poll added

Tagged games:

BotW metacritic average

95 - 100% 171 37.42%

90-95% 182 39.82%

85 -90% 61 13.35%

80_85% 6 1.31%

70-80% 7 1.53%

60-70% 3 0.66%

60% or under 27 5.91%

Total:457
etking said:

There is a very high risk involved when changing a well-working formula and transforming the game into a Skyrim clone with Xenoblade X style empty worlds and a potentially boring and restrictive mission system. If you take out everything what makes Zelda great (dungeons, signature items) and replace it with breaking weapons and a physics engine, a lot can go wrong. So I really hope that Zelda will score above 80, else I will cancel my preorder.

In my opinion, a rating above 95 can be ruled out for sure because Skyrim is a 5 year old game but still provides better graphics and a much more alive world loaded with tons of content. Skyrim has much more content in its smaller world than Breath of the World can offer in its larger but empty environments. And content-density counts.

What indications have their ever been that BotW has a "huge, empty world"? From all I've heard about it, it has a ton of varied wildlife in the different environements, a variety of enemies, people and outposts you can interact with, and tons of ancient ruins to explore, all over the kingdom. You're going to be able to do things like "snowboard" in the tundra, and sail (and probably fish) on the coast and other bodies of water. You can hunt animals for food if you need to, because in this game you have to get food for health (not hearts). AND you can not only ride wild horses, but you can also climb all over the place, and glide from high places all around the kingdom.

And I'm sure there's plenty more that hasn't been spoiled for us. There will still be some traditional Zelda dungeons and massive bosses, as well as a lot of little "side-quests" I'm sure people will send you on, and plenty of collecting that can be done. By all indications, even though it IS a massive game world, it is fairly vibrant and alive. And for that matter, I wouldn't say that Skyrim is ALL that dense. I obviously have to reserve final judgement of BotW until I actually get to PLAY it, same as anyone else. But I'm still pretty excited for it, and I fully expect it to be at LEAST as "content-dense" as Skyrim, in it's own way. But I guess we'll see.

Around the Network
etking said:

The reason for a below 80 rating could be that it is not a Zelda game and does not play like one. According to earlier rumors there could also be a lack of story and content besides the 100 uninspiring mini dungeons.

No offense, but how is it "Not a Zelda game". And how does it not PLAY like a Zelda game? Certaily seems to, on both counts.

The definition of what is or isn't a "Zelda game" is not so strictly defined. This game is harkening back to the more open approach of the original NES hit, where you can technically (almost) "go anywhere or do anything, if you feel like trying". The emphasis is on exploration of a huge land, over a linear dungeon to dungeon to dungone approach of games like Ocarina of Time. They are shaking up what many might argue is a "tired" (though classic) forula, by having you need to gather and cook food for hearts, instead of just collecting hearts. They're making you wear different clothes for different environments, such as cold-weather clothing for icy tundra so you don't freeze and take damage. That is something not even Skyrim does.

They're making it so that, for the first time ever, you're actually going to be able to (thank god) MANUALLY jump in a 3D Zelda game, which will not only affect the free-form climbing you'll be allowed to do all over the land, but it will undoutedly also open up a lot of avenues previously not available in areas like combat and puzzle-solving. There are said to be plenty of things to see and collect and interact with. Those "100 uninspiring mini-dungeons" as you put it, sound like most of them will be entirely optional (which is great), and it's already been confirme that there WILL still be a few large, more traditionally-styled Zelda type dungeons as well. Also, given that last trailer, it's highly doubtful there will be a "lack of story". I'm going to guess that in addition to some cut-scene and dialogue moments, that there might be some sort of "lore" system, similar to what a game like Metroid Prime 3 did, where you collected bits of lore that, if you CHOSE to look at it, gave you a lot of back-story to the game.

So really, I don't see how any of that seems to NOT be like Zelda. Zelda has been many things and taken many forms over the years. Zelda II was VERY unlike Zelda 1, as a difficult, almost strategy-based side-scrolling action game. But it's certainly still Zelda, you still roamed around the kingdom and explored. And roaming around and exploring seems, to me, to be the only true touchstone, aside from Link, that a Zelda game needs, to "be Zelda". If anything, I would say the argument can be made that this game is far MORE "like Zelda" than many other entries have been. It's truer in spirit to games like the original and ALttP. So I really don't see it getting scores lower than 90 from most outlets. There's always going to be people who shit on everything. But if this game comes close to living up to even half of it's potential, I'd say it's going to be a very strong "Game of the Year" candidate.

Critics (who mostly are made up of the hard core) are increasingly influenced by the graphics and fps of games. As Nintendo advanced more into that, I suspect thier views of Nintendo games will increase. BoTW truly looks like the best looking Zelda game ever, and I haven't said that since I saw the Wii U zelda tech demo.

Combined that with a truly real feeling open world, what sounds like a very long game with tons of side mini dungeons, it is in good shape.

OK who are the 22 trolls who voted 70 or less? Present yourselfs to me immediately if not sooner!

People will probably need to be reminded again that the lowest score a 3D Zelda has EVER got is 93.

I'd guess it'll land at like between 93 and 97, money's on 95-96 like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, since it's hype and reception so far is like ten times greater than Skyward Sword's ever was.

Around the Network

I mean it's Zelda, even if it was a turd it will get a 70.

But I think it will be extremely well received, perhaps the best exclusive since The Last of Us, and will probably beat the best exclusive of 8th gen, Uncharted 4 at 93.

I say it gets 95

Even if there are a few clickbait bad reviews, they'll be drowned out in the sea positive reviews, the hype behind this game is crazy. Regardless of what you think of Zelda games they're pretty competent games, very well polished and generally well designed. So it's got a pretty good chance at 95, maybe up to 97 too.

Between 90-95 sounds likely.

90-95

It will get 4/10 from Quarter to Three, but that won't stop it from reaching a Metascore of at least 95.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---