By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo Stop Innovating And Make A Traditional Console?

So, what do you think?

No, not at all. Innovatio... 122 33.42%

Not really, but I'd like... 92 25.21%

Don't know. Time will tell? 11 3.01%

Yeah, more less. Traditional is good. 47 12.88%

Absolutely. PS4 and Xbox ... 52 14.25%

What's "traditional" anyway? 19 5.21%

Show me the answers! 22 6.03%

Total:365
irstupid said:
You mean you want the console business to be like the phone division.

Having had zero innovation since basically the iphone came out. I mean who even gets excited now for new phones. It's all the same damn thing, just another $600 I need to spend on because my current phone is getting slow.

So no, I'll take innovation over the standard upgrade every year. Will all innovations work? No, but at least they are trying and not just upping specs like phones.

seeing as people still line up for the new phones...alot of people are still excited

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Nintendo could beat Microsoft if they tried. Sony is another story and a much more tedious task since Sony keeps all of their bases covered in all aspects. Microsoft is the only company of the three who is terrible at actually making games themselves. If Nintendo secured third party and made some cool new IP's that are cool for adults Microsoft would be in trouble since they can never find new IP"s to carry on what Gears and Halo started. Nintendos most stable consoles in all genres have always had stable third party (which were the first two consoles).

They could probably take Microsoft if they did everything right and got some better management in place, but the problem is they'd be forced to engage Sony head on whether they want to or not in that case and MS would also force them to spend money beyond what they want. 

I think after the early 2000s and Yamauchi realized that Microsoft wasn't going to fail massively in the game business, and seeing how MS just casually threw several billion in his face to buy Nintendo entirely ... Yamauchi changed and so did Nintendo. 

From that point on Yamauchi instructed Iwata and all his staff that they had to be different and could not compete head on as it would be suicide financially as MS could outspend Nintendo no matter what. Before that time though Yamauchi had no problem with direct competetion and was often a vicious competitor. 

Microsoft is what changed Nintendo I think, they got scared at where the industry was going and didn't want any part of that, it's like being in a poker game and seeing the money on the table getting too rich for your blood. Time to bail. 

They couldnt even beat MS when they just started, it would be much harder to do now

OdinHades said:
Nem said:

I have to utterly refute this notion.

What do you play? Hardware or games?

Because most of the exciting games nowadays are on the ps4 and xb1. So, i can't possibly understand how theres anything boring about that.

It's boring because consoles of today are basically PCs. But I already have a PC. So the consoles are collecting dust, I only play with them every once in a while when there's some exclusive title that I'm interested in.

I used the PS3 way more for multiplatform, because it still was a classic console at its heart. Get a game from the store, pop that sucker in and begin playing. Nowadays there are mandatory installs that take ages, updates are just as frequent as on PC and it all in all just feels so much like gaming on PC. Sony and Microsoft basically brought all the negatives from PC to the consoles until now. 

Of course that's just my personal opinion and you're free to disagree. But for me, the current consoles are the most boring ever. 

Well... i agree the Xbox is turning into that, but the PS4 still has tons of exclusives.

KLXVER said:
Nem said:

Those were snes. Maybe the analog was n64? But yes, the rest were gimmicks that didn't work and both of those were strong systems for their times.

The D-pad and shoulder buttons arent used anymore?

Dude! Get a grip! I was talking only about the post N64 systems.

mZuzek said:
oniyide said:

why the surprise? they love portables in Japan. They were always going to push that aspect over there. In the west, they'll show off the hybrid aspect much more

I've said it already. I'm surprised because they're doing advertising right.

Fair enough.

Around the Network
Nem said:
KLXVER said:

The D-pad and shoulder buttons arent used anymore?

Well next time say what you are referring to. We cant read your mind you know.

KLXVER said:
Nem said:

Well next time say what you are referring to. We cant read your mind you know.

I didnt mention any of the classic systems. Thought it was obvious, but fair enough.

Innovation/gimmick - Tomato/tomahto...

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Let's be honest for a second. Even if Nintendo makes the most powerful console of the three, it won't get them the most hardware sales nor all the third party games that the power twins get

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

If Nintendo purely go the same route as Sony or Microsoft they will stand no chance, as they are already behind in that market especially on brand recognition alone.

So no, the should do what they are doing right now.