By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo Stop Innovating And Make A Traditional Console?

So, what do you think?

No, not at all. Innovatio... 122 33.42%

Not really, but I'd like... 92 25.21%

Don't know. Time will tell? 11 3.01%

Yeah, more less. Traditional is good. 47 12.88%

Absolutely. PS4 and Xbox ... 52 14.25%

What's "traditional" anyway? 19 5.21%

Show me the answers! 22 6.03%

Total:365
Alkibiádēs said:
NATO said:

And yet, those happy PS3 customers carried over to the PS4, resulting in this.

Profit is more important than revenue. Also, Sony has closed down numerous development studios this gen, so they can't be too happy with the money they're making. 

And happy PS3 customers, I know I wouldn't be happy if I bought a PS3 for $600. MS just shot themselves in the foot by releasing a weaker console for $500 this generation. They made the same mistake Sony made last-gen. 

yes because all 85 million owners bought the $599 version at launch day.

And yes, happy customers, clearly, 54m+ of them moved on to PS4 and many more will continue to do so, much to your dismay.

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
NATO said:

The difference is it still had 85 million sales, and the majority of those owners went on to buy the PS4, where as Nintendo went from major profits and 100m sales to sub-vita sales and poor profits.

I'd much rather take a hit one generation and retain a healthy customer base then turn a profit to a significantly smaller customer base.

...in the distance I can hear the guteral scraping sounds of goalposts being moved..

Poor profits, you mean like the ones Sony is making? Nintendo made over $900 million for Q1-Q3 2016. And over $500 million for Q3 alone. 

Anyway, 3DS still sold over 65M and will probaby reach 70M when all is said and done.

PS3 is a failed console no matter what way you look at and it brought Sony much closer to demise than the Wii U did Nintendo. 

Sony risked the PS3 to save Blu Ray. Without it there would be no upgraded discs for 4k resolution. It would just be HDR,pretty much.

NATO said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Profit is more important than revenue. Also, Sony has closed down numerous development studios this gen, so they can't be too happy with the money they're making. 

And happy PS3 customers, I know I wouldn't be happy if I bought a PS3 for $600. MS just shot themselves in the foot by releasing a weaker console for $500 this generation. They made the same mistake Sony made last-gen. 

And yes, happy customers, clearly, 54m+ of them moved on to PS4 and many more will continue to do so, much to your dismay.

Who says they were happy with the PS3? A lot of Wii U owners will move on to the Switch, does that mean it's a succesful console or that they were happy with it? 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
NATO said:

Who says they were happy with the PS3? A lot of Wii U owners will move on to the Switch, does that mean it's a succesful console or that they were happy with it? 

Sure, hopefully they do, but even at 100% wiiu owners buying switch, that's a pittiful amount for a console :)

NATO said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Sure, hopefully they do, but even at 100% wiiu owners buying switch, that's a pittiful amount for a console :)

That's what we call moving goalposts. And Wii U didn't cost Nintendo nearly as much money as the PS3.

Poor sales of the GC certainly didn't hamper the success of the Wii. 

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
NATO said:

And yet, those happy PS3 customers carried over to the PS4, resulting in this.

Sigh... PlayStation's profits have been phenomenal the last two years.

FY 2014 - $401 Million Operating Profit

FY 2015  $785 Million Operating Profit

FY 2016 (FORECAST FROM MAY 2016) - $1.2 Billion Operating Profit

Barkley said:
Alkibiádēs said:

That's not what I call phenomenal actually. It's great, no doubt about it, but not phenomenal, especially compared to the profits Nintendo had in the past. 

Alkibiádēs said:
Barkley said:

That's not what I call phenomenal actually. It's great, no doubt about it, but not phenomenal, especially compared to the profits Nintendo had in the past. 

In the past.

NATO said:
Alkibiádēs said:

In the past.

Because Q1-Q3 2016 was so long ago.

Alkibiádēs said:
Barkley said:

Sure in the past, but compared to Nintendo now, Sony's gaming business is far more profitable and it's just climbing further and further. 

Nintendo:

FY 2014:     OPERATING PROFIT:  $207.83 Million
FY 2015:     OPERATING PROFIT:  $148.5 Million

Anyway, Saying Sony "aren't happy" with their profits just shows that you're making assumptions without knowing any facts.