By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo Stop Innovating And Make A Traditional Console?

So, what do you think?

No, not at all. Innovatio... 122 33.42%

Not really, but I'd like... 92 25.21%

Don't know. Time will tell? 11 3.01%

Yeah, more less. Traditional is good. 47 12.88%

Absolutely. PS4 and Xbox ... 52 14.25%

What's "traditional" anyway? 19 5.21%

Show me the answers! 22 6.03%

Total:365
Barkley said:
Alkibiádēs said:

That's not what I call phenomenal actually. It's great, no doubt about it, but not phenomenal, especially compared to the profits Nintendo had in the past. 

Sure in the past, but compared to Nintendo now, Sony's gaming business is far more profitable and it's just climbing further and further. 

Nintendo:

FY 2014:     OPERATING PROFIT:  $207.83 Million
FY 2015:     OPERATING PROFIT:  $148.5 Million

Anyway, Saying Sony "aren't happy" with their profits just shows that you're making assumptions without knowing any facts.

You don't close down studios if you're happy with the profits or revenue you're making. 

And why don't you post their profit of FY 2016?

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
Barkley said:

Sure in the past, but compared to Nintendo now, Sony's gaming business is far more profitable and it's just climbing further and further. 

Nintendo:

FY 2014:     OPERATING PROFIT:  $207.83 Million
FY 2015:     OPERATING PROFIT:  $148.5 Million

Anyway, Saying Sony "aren't happy" with their profits just shows that you're making assumptions without knowing any facts.

You don't close down studios if you're happy with the profits or revenue you're making. 

There's a variety of reasons to close studios, and sony is definitely very happy with the profit they're making.

For the fiscal year through March 2017, Nintendo said it now anticipates an operating profit of ¥30bn ($288m)

KLXVER said:
Nem said:
Were they innovating?

Doesn't look like it to me. They definitly made the choice to bet on gimmicks, but i wouldn't call them innovations.

Motion controls died. The wii u gamepad never had its potencial tapped (perfect for mmo's). The gamecube had a handle? The N64 controller was a misfire. The only thing that stuck around was rumble.

So yeah, they should have gone for a powerful console.

Yeah the D-pad, shoulder buttons and analog stick were just useless gimmicks that died fast...

Those were snes. Maybe the analog was n64? But yes, the rest were gimmicks that didn't work and both of those were strong systems for their times.

Hynad said:
Nem said:
Were they innovating?

Doesn't look like it to me. They definitly made the choice to bet on gimmicks, but i wouldn't call them innovations.

Motion controls died. The wii u gamepad never had its potencial tapped (perfect for mmo's). The gamecube had a handle? The N64 controller was a misfire. The only thing that stuck around was rumble.

So yeah, they should have gone for a powerful console.

Long-lasting isn't what defines innovation.

If that was all there was to the definition, any and every failed product woud be "innovative" aslong as it was different from the others.

Thus there is something else that needs to diferentiate innovation from originality.  " However, innovation is often also viewed as the application of better solutions that meet new requirements, unarticulated needs, or existing market needs." is a nice addendum wikipedia added and is very true.

Alkibiádēs said:

You do when you have 36 of them, compared to Nintendo's 4.

NATO said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Nintendo has more development studios than 4.

They just grouped most together and haven't given them individual names. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
NATO said:

Nintendo has more development studios than 4.

They just grouped most together and haven't given them individual names. 

OdinHades said:
Yeah, because the other consoles today aren't already boring enough.

I have to utterly refute this notion.

What do you play? Hardware or games?

Because most of the exciting games nowadays are on the ps4 and xb1. So, i can't possibly understand how theres anything boring about that.

Peh said:
Yes, Nintendo should just buy a Ps4 Pro, cross out the label and write Nintendo Max Power with a marker above it or where ever there is room and sell it as a Nintendo console. Boom! Sales go through the sky.

That... actually sounds pretty exciting.

Nem said:
OdinHades said:
Yeah, because the other consoles today aren't already boring enough.

I have to utterly refute this notion.

What do you play? Hardware or games?

Yup, I think at this current point in time, we desperately need innovation in SOFTWARE. Hardware innovation is really not currently the holy grail everyone makes it out to be.

Everybody is innovating, not just Nintendo, and Nintendo was innovating before the Wii/DS days.

3D graphics was an innovation
Joystick on controllers was an innovations
rumble was an innovation
Online gaming was an innovation
Disc based consoles were an innovation
Digital games was an innovation
being able to read a CD, DVD or bluray  was an innovation
Making an affordable 4k console is an innovation

And so on and on, but a good innovation is one that doesn't jack up the price, that will actually be used by gamers, and that won't force the system to have poor graphics.

Nintendo used to know the balance, between all this, and then the Wii came.

Of course not. The videogame market would be boring if we only have "traditional" consoles. Innovation is good for us.