By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo Stop Innovating And Make A Traditional Console?

So, what do you think?

No, not at all. Innovatio... 122 33.42%

Not really, but I'd like... 92 25.21%

Don't know. Time will tell? 11 3.01%

Yeah, more less. Traditional is good. 47 12.88%

Absolutely. PS4 and Xbox ... 52 14.25%

What's "traditional" anyway? 19 5.21%

Show me the answers! 22 6.03%

Total:365
mZuzek said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
I actually think the Switch is their most "traditional/conventional/standard/normal" system since GBA/GCN. Normal controller (in terms of inputs and layout), no second screen, no touchscreen controls in games, and while there's still motion controls they aren't the focus of every game (only one or two so far, optional or unused otherwise) and aren't compromising the controller i.e. Wiimotes. The gimmick this time doesn't affect the games or their design themselves, just where you can play them. You don't have to waggle or look down at another screen, Switch games are played the same as they would be on Sony/Microsoft systems or older Nintendo systems, you can just take them anywhere now is all.

But the Switch is underpowered compared to the competition, therefore it is totally a gimmick!

Yeah but other than that, which is only somewhat relevant for getting AAA 3rd party games, it is a standard system, atleast much moreso than DS, 3DS, Wii, and Wii U.

Around the Network

Rather then making "innovative" hardware they should double their efforts to innovate on software, that's what we desperately need now, and it certainly doesn't have to be simply a different form of input or worse relegated to a micro-game tech demo compilation.

Cloudman said:
zorg1000 said:

That doesn't really address the issue, the audience for mainstream, western focused software is simply not on Nintendo consoles and hasn't been for 15-20 years.

You didn't answer the questions at all, why would people who already own a PS4/XBO buy a Nintendo version of those consoles? Why would people looking for a new console to play AAA 3rd party titles choose Nintendo over PS4/XBO?

And why should it continue to be that way? I don't think it should really, and Nintendo should try to push more for those games on their consoles. And I'm not looking at it as "Why people should choose Nintendo over PS4/XBO", but why people should choose Nintendo. Perhaps portability of the Switch is the way to go, although it'll be lacking some big games from other consoles, or maybe a standard console that can play those multiplatform games and Nintendo games is. I don't know, and that's where I'm torn. I'm not really saying either one is right.

Getting those games doesn't mean anything if people don't buy them, Gamecube had solid 3rd party support and Wii U did as well initially and it did almost nothing for them and are Nintendo's two worst selling consoles.

In order for those games to sell well and move hardware for Nintendo, they need to steal the audience for those games away from PS/XB so I ask again, what will cause existing and prospective PS4/XBO owners to get a similar Nintendo console?

If you can't come up with a reason why these people would choose such a device than you have no reason to think they will.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Barkley said:
Rather then making "innovative" hardware they should double their efforts to innovate on software, that's what we desperately need now, and it certainly doesn't have to be simply a different form of input or worse relegated to a micro-game tech demo compilation.

Arms is innovative. Super Mario Odyssey is unlike anything we've seen from the Super Mario franchise. Breath of the Wild is unlike anything we've seen from the Zelda franchise. Pokémon Sun & Moon finally did something other than gym battles. Snipperclips is unlike anything I've seen as well. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Barkley said:

I disagree, we just need good games. If a good game happens to be innovative aswell then cool, but a game should never be made with the sole purpose of being innovative even at the cost of quality imo. We don't need more Skyward Swords and Starfox Zeros.