By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Will Not Support a Web Browser at launch

Imo this is very disappointing from Nintendo, how should people take the Switch (a 9th generation console) serious when it doesn't even have the basic features which are already available since the 7th generation?

Around the Network

Wii = "This is the WiiWare shop. You can get everything here. Weather apps, a Browser, old games from our Virtual Console service. Great, right?"

Wii U = "The Virtual Console will be available at a later date, but we have this amazing eShop with tons of games"

Switch = "The console will release in 24 days, and we have no news on the OS or VC titles. Also, it won't have a browser. But you can download games on the eShop. Maybe. We dont know."

Switch 2 = "The eShop will be availble some date after launch. It won't connect to the internet through the system, we have this smartphone app for it. There's also no OS; we wanted to bring back the nostalgia from the NES of not having menus or options."

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Its not really a big deal, ps4 was missing alot of features at launch aswell.

The wii u may have had one of the best browser on any console but it still sucked. A thing of last resort for the moment when every other device in your house has been robbed (because even thieves skip the wii u?).

Unless they would have made it much better, this is no loss.

.....ok.

Around the Network
cycycychris said:
Jranation said:

Good point. There's like free wifi on these malls here in Australia, And you have to sign in via their website. Im not sure even if it had a web browser that it would work. Because don't you need to close it to play the game? 

I don't know how it works in different places but all I have to do is connect to the internet through the settings. Open the web browser and try to go to a random website. Which will then bring up my login screen and I put the info in and I'm good until I connect my system to a different internet provider. So I don't know how all them work, but it doesn't matter on mine when I close the browser.

It's like that in hotels, at airports and free wifi hotspots too. You have to login on a browser. I guess you cannot game online with the Switch in those places.

Better have one at least, later on if necessary. Just put the WiiU one on it, dammit.

Cobretti2 said:
hunter_alien said:
People who are pro not having a web browser. I mean yeah, I rarely use the one that the PS4 has but its there, its an option. It seems that the OS and app support for the Switch is bare-bones and non-existent. Yet another reason to wait on the fenmce for a while.

The PS4 os was barebone compared to PS3 when it launched. I haven't powered my ps4 up for a while but I am still sure it still lacks things the PS3 did.

Time to hit that upgrade button my friend, many things have changed

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

And at uni we needed a browser to connect to the internet as well - had to do it on my PS3. How would that work for those people?

Lawlight said:
cycycychris said:

I don't know how it works in different places but all I have to do is connect to the internet through the settings. Open the web browser and try to go to a random website. Which will then bring up my login screen and I put the info in and I'm good until I connect my system to a different internet provider. So I don't know how all them work, but it doesn't matter on mine when I close the browser.

It's like that in hotels, at airports and free wifi hotspots too. You have to login on a browser. I guess you cannot game online with the Switch in those places.

Huh, I've always been able to connect to wifi hotspots without having to do anything. I guess things aren't the same everywhere, but hopefully this means Nintendo will update the Switch with a browser sooner rather than later.