By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Will Not Support a Web Browser at launch

Yeah not a deal breaker for me. It's not like we don't live in a world where things like this are easily fixed via updates. The implication is that it will be rectified in the future so I don't see the big issue?

Around the Network

This is the least worrying thing about the Switch's OS. Why would you subject yourself to a console browser anyway?

Lawlight said:
cycycychris said:

I don't know how it works in different places but all I have to do is connect to the internet through the settings. Open the web browser and try to go to a random website. Which will then bring up my login screen and I put the info in and I'm good until I connect my system to a different internet provider. So I don't know how all them work, but it doesn't matter on mine when I close the browser.

It's like that in hotels, at airports and free wifi hotspots too. You have to login on a browser. I guess you cannot game online with the Switch in those places.

That was the point I was about to make. On android often you get apps which will auto sign you in but in the absense of an app you use the browser but clearly no wifi outside the home with Switch because you have neither of those options. 

So a browser is needed and I'm sure it will be added but when?

Unsure what Nintendo expect's its customers to do. Perhaps when the subscription starts at that point you get the browser.

Dumb move Nintendo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

wombat123 said:
Aren't web browser exploits the easiest way to hack a console? If that's the case, I wouldn't blame Nintendo for not providing one.

:(, I wanted to download smash mods on the Switch (when Smash for Switch comes out), but it seems that option is gone

Around the Network
Jranation said:

Oh wow!

See! I told you its not another Wii U!

Wii U had the best game console browser ever.

I really don't care as I do not use web browsers on my PS4 or X1 either. It is so much easier to just grab my phone and look it up.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
I really don't care as I do not use web browsers on my PS4 or X1 either. It is so much easier to just grab my phone and look it up.

That's just for you though. People have raised real concerns about the lack of a browser in this topic.

Slarvax said:
Wii = "This is the WiiWare shop. You can get everything here. Weather apps, a Browser, old games from our Virtual Console service. Great, right?"

Wii U = "The Virtual Console will be available at a later date, but we have this amazing eShop with tons of games"

Switch = "The console will release in 24 days, and we have no news on the OS or VC titles. Also, it won't have a browser. But you can download games on the eShop. Maybe. We dont know."

Switch 2 = "The eShop will be availble some date after launch. It won't connect to the internet through the system, we have this smartphone app for it. There's also no OS; we wanted to bring back the nostalgia from the NES of not having menus or options."

Ayyy

I'm with the "I don't use consoles to browse the Internet" party, here. Still, I'm surprised that this is the case. I wonder if this really is a case of Nintendo rushing the Switch out the door as quickly as possible, huh. Maybe we see some benefits to this, although likely meager, in that there will be less overhead in the OS consuming resources in the background? Maybe that's just wishful/ignorant thinking, though =p