By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Will Not Support a Web Browser at launch

Nintendo is making it ultra hard to support this device. At $300 this thing should be doing way more than just games. I use my PS4 and Vita browsers for everything. Having no browser means if I decide to take the Switch to work I no access to the internet. That just won't work, because I do way to much business to have no access to at least my e-mail.

It is because of stuff like this, I really wish Nintendo would get out of the hardware business. I absolutly love their games, but the $300 membership fee I have to pay is just to much. If they would just make a full fledged Phone, then I could justfiy the price. Otherwise, they should bring their software to PS/XB/PC, and then maybe Sony could do a PS Phone with Vita like form factor.

I still plan to get this thing for Mario Odyssey, I just hope it has made a lot of progress by then.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
Nintendo is making it ultra hard to support this device. At $300 this thing should be doing way more than just games. I use my PS4 and Vita browsers for everything. Having no browser means if I decide to take the Switch to work I no access to the internet. That just won't work, because I do way to much business to have no access to at least my e-mail.

It is because of stuff like this, I really wish Nintendo would get out of the hardware business. I absolutly love their games, but the $300 membership fee I have to pay is just to much. If they would just make a full fledged Phone, then I could justfiy the price. Otherwise, they should bring their software to PS/XB/PC, and then maybe Sony could do a PS Phone with Vita like form factor.

I still plan to get this thing for Mario Odyssey, I just hope it has made a lot of progress by then.

Yeah, right. As if you didn't have a cell phone. 

He said "at launch"
So it doesn´t mean that it can´t have a web browser. It just means that they didn´t create one specifically for the Switch, as they did for the 3ds and WiiU.

By the way... there´s A TON of information in that interview. It´s worth checking out.

While it is understandable as to why stuff like this wont be ready at launch, with the Switch having a very short development period, it is still disappointing and also so very, very... Nintendo.
It is sad how we are getting used to this because we shouldnt! This sould not be normal!
Arguably the true test of the Switch will not come until Holiday Season 2017 and it is likely that Nintendo will have fixed many of those issues by then, but the fact that they will have to fix basic features in the first place just goes to show how much there still is to do, before they can become a major rival to Sony and MS in the big third-party-rich market again.

So, no, I dont think this is a huge deal for the above listed reasons, but it simply shouldnt be a deal in the first place, and the fact that it is reminds us once again how often Nintendos best ideas end up being "nintendoed-up", to borrow Jim Sterlings words, by none other than themselves.

The new guy.

Sorry for possible mistakes, not a native speaker!

Rushed out to market with barely anything working out of the box??
Nah nintendo would never do that...

What, they already did with the 3DS? oh.

Only Nintendo would release a tablet without a basic tablet feature.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
KBG29 said:

I actually do not currently have a phone. Last phone I bought was the Xperia X Performance last June, but my dad has had it since September. Before that I bought a Xperia Z3, but I gave it to my mom about a month after, because I still prefer my 3G Vita. I use Skype, and if people want to text me, they use PSN or E-mail. Not really a fan of Slabs.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Well, they said it will arrive later, so it's not a big issue. But it makes quite clear that Switch was rushed. The Wii U was doing terribly bad and they rushed a successor. It's likely that the Holidays were the correct date.

I wouldn't recommend preordering it to anyone. The 360 was rushed due to Nvidia discontinuing the OG XB GPU. It was a technical disaster. I don't think the Switch will be, but I believe it's better to be cautious and wait 2 or 3 months.

I don't care in the slightest, it's a dumb omission but it's not something I'd use anyway.

Sucks for people like the OP though that need to log-in via a web portal to access the internet.

KBG29 said:
Hynad said:

I actually do not currently have a phone. Last phone I bought was the Xperia X Performance last June, but my dad has had it since September. Before that I bought a Xperia Z3, but I gave it to my mom about a month after, because I still prefer my 3G Vita. I use Skype, and if people want to text me, they use PSN or E-mail. Not really a fan of Slabs.

Of course, because the Vita is less of a slab than a phone. -___-

It's a shame the tablet wont have apps in general when the Shield tablet does, but it was already hinted when Netflix was missing.

Like I said back then:

And with this approach, out goes the idea of getting any apps on this device. Just gaming.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"