By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Will Not Support a Web Browser at launch

It will support a pimp Bowser.

Around the Network

Come on, who seriously is using a console to browse the web these days. By this I don't mean a web browser would hurt, but it's pretty meaningless if it has one or doesn't have.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I think that is fine honestly. Not that it wouldn't have provided some value to someone, but in general, I think we've gotten to the point that we just don't care about a browser in a game console.

PS360's sucked.
Wii's was good then not-so-good as it didn't continue to get updates.

This gen, I don't think most people cared about the browsers in their consoles. I used WiiUs some but by now, my phone is just so much easier/better. So why use anything else?

I don't think I would have ever really used it anyways. Though, I do hope they do add in apps support the obvious things like video and social content.

Green098 said:
Well first who uses the web browser on a console?

I use it regularly on Wii U. It's decent, funtions with YouTube (the app sucks) and with most sites I frequent. It's also great for video marathons in night

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

hunter_alien said:
People who are pro not having a web browser. I mean yeah, I rarely use the one that the PS4 has but its there, its an option. It seems that the OS and app support for the Switch is bare-bones and non-existent. Yet another reason to wait on the fenmce for a while.

The PS4 os was barebone compared to PS3 when it launched. I haven't powered my ps4 up for a while but I am still sure it still lacks things the PS3 did.

Around the Network
cycycychris said:
Jranation said:

Good point. There's like free wifi on these malls here in Australia, And you have to sign in via their website. Im not sure even if it had a web browser that it would work. Because don't you need to close it to play the game? 

I don't know how it works in different places but all I have to do is connect to the internet through the settings. Open the web browser and try to go to a random website. Which will then bring up my login screen and I put the info in and I'm good until I connect my system to a different internet provider. So I don't know how all them work, but it doesn't matter on mine when I close the browser.

That basically the same as what I what I was talking about. Hopefully this is just temporary and they will add it soon....... 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Hard to believe in this day and age...

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

Teeqoz said:

The Wii was 10 years ago...

Yeah it was.

eyezofnight said:
i can honestly say i've never used a web browser on a console at all. why would you? i have a tablet and a laptop for that

Many people will assume and likely hope that the Switch can double as a tablet. I mean... Its literally a tablet but with completely butchered multi-media functionality. 

I don't know why you wouldn't want to be playing mario kart, then on the same device be able to pop off to talk about video games on VG Charts ;) or watch some netflix, or do a quick google search, or respond to a message on Facebook, before casually jumping into another MK match... Why should you have to sit there and alternate between your switch and a tablet just do things which are universal to any device this side of the decade. Not a biggie but will be a let down for many considering the portability. The Switch should really be capable of replacing peoples tablets, not just assuming role of awkward third wheel.

The reassuring thing about this is that it is likely just a lazy software issue which can easily be resolved by the end of its first year. 

Wow out of all the features I thought the switch wouldn't have I didn't expect an internet browser to be one of them, and it sucks because the wii u's browser was pretty good.