By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I predict switch will sell worse than wii u!

It's basically a much better executed version of the Wii U concept, but since it is actually portable, it has a built-in fail safe mechanism. 

Nintendo can still sell portables even if their ability to sell home consoles has great diminished. 

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

PS2 and Wii were already at mass market price for what they offered, Switch isn't. It's asking the same price as it competitors while offering vastly fewer games, worse tech, and less features. 

Than why did they see such large increases in sales when their prices dropped? You just contradicted yourself.

Like I said, your rebuttals are getting pretty bad. This is the second post in a row where you ignored the main part of my argument which is that 3DS & Switch have a night & day difference when it comes to features, marketing & software so 3DS being considered too expensive at $250 means absolutely nothing.

They didnt increase as much as 3DS did, because price was a problem for 3DS but not for PS2 or Wii.

$300 is console pricing, and as a console Switch can't compete with PS4/Xbone. It's as a portable that it excels, but $300 is too much for a portable.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Than why did they see such large increases in sales when their prices dropped? You just contradicted yourself.

Like I said, your rebuttals are getting pretty bad. This is the second post in a row where you ignored the main part of my argument which is that 3DS & Switch have a night & day difference when it comes to features, marketing & software so 3DS being considered too expensive at $250 means absolutely nothing.

They didnt increase as much as 3DS did, because price was a problem for 3DS but not for PS2 or Wii.

$300 is console pricing, and as a console Switch can't compete with PS4/Xbone. It's as a portable that it excels, but $300 is too much for a portable.

I tend to agree $300 is too much for the portable/kiddie market, but Nintendo will likely drop next year. They just need to ride out Nintendo hardcore this year and new Zelda + new Mario + new Splatoon in one year probably gets that done for them, though we could see a post launch lull. 

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Based on your logic from earlier, they shouldnt have had large boosts at all since they were already at mass market pricing.

When DS launched in 2004, it was the same price as PS2 & Xbox, was way less powerful, had less features & had far fewer games........those are literally the exact same arguments you gave for why Switch wont succeed.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Based on your logic from earlier, they shouldnt have had large boosts at all since they were already at mass market pricing.

When DS launched in 2004, it was the same price as PS2 & Xbox, was way less powerful, had less features & had far fewer games........those are literally the exact same arguments you gave for why Switch wont succeed.

Less is always better. $250 is good, $200 better.

And DS launched at $150. That's within the acceptable range for a portable. $300 isn't.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Less is always better. $250 is good, $200 better.

And DS launched at $150. That's within the acceptable range for a portable. $300 isn't.

We get the benefit of great portability. Can't really compare it to consoles or handhelds since it's a thing of its own 

Boils down to whether you want nintendo games everywhere you go or not.

Bandorr said:

I predict no one will take this thread seriously.

It isn't going to do wii numbers - but it will easily beat the wii U.

I honnestly can't think about many reason it would sell more.

The switch has the same flaws than the Wii U, low third party support, unpowered hardware, it can't really move casuals, and Nintendo is unable to produce HD titles in large quantities. But when the Wii U started, Nintendo was full of cash, the market leader, they had a free network, and they started a year ahead... now they are dealing with an after saturn-like scenario, and they are facing the massive PS4 market and the price drops to come.

The only positive thing would be if the switch is considered as an handled console and if that matters, and I don't think it will. Because of its price, the development costs, the battery and the smartphone market, it will not sell like the handled used to.

So, I agree with the OP, it will fail slightly harder than the Wii U.

If it will be perceived as a portable that can be plugged on a TV too, it will need a price cut very soon, but once Ninty will have fixed that, it will as soon kill 3DS and it will end up selling roughly the same lifetime, or maybe a little more.
If it will be perceived as a home console that you can carry around too, I really can't predict anything, it could succeed, fail or anything inbetween.
Financially, if Ninty didn't fall for a horribly one-sided deal with NVidia as MS did for the first XB, it will only need decent sales to break even and then bring some profits too, even twice as many sales as Wii U should do, as pay online will help (although it could harm sales numbers a little).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

curl-6 said:
dharh said:

Problem here is the battery life.  2-5 hours which probably means 3 hours of typical usage is not enough to make it through the day.

Play it for three hours in the morning, put it on charge and do something else, then play another 3 hours in the evening, problem solved. :P

Not if you are away from the house for 8+ hours a day like a normal person with a job.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:
curl-6 said:

Play it for three hours in the morning, put it on charge and do something else, then play another 3 hours in the evening, problem solved. :P

Not if you are away from the house for 8+ hours a day like a normal person with a job.

Simple solution, turn it off or put it on sleep mode or have it charging when you aren't playing it

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.