By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kimishima expects Switch sales to reach Wii levels

Bandorr said:
spemanig said:

I don't see why not. The Switch has a lot of mass market appeal as a piece of hardware.

At $300 no game bundled in? I'd be surprised if it makes it to the end of the year like that.

When something like xbox or Uncharted will do $200 WITH a game (and a huge backlog) Nintendo will need to compete and compete hard.

I don't even have a clue what 2018 will be like. They will have used up Zelda, 3d Mario, Mario kart 8 rehash, xenoblade, and Splatoon 2.

I think that's what will make 2018 interesting for Nintendo. Besides the first HD console Fire Emblem game (and possibly Xenoblade 2), it's out in the open of what Nintendo could do for the future. New IPs? Old franchises? Who knows. Maybe we'll see Sakurai's new work or even Retro Studio's. Maybe Pokémon will release in 2018.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
spemanig said:

I don't see why not. The Switch has a lot of mass market appeal as a piece of hardware.

As a portable it's too expensive as even 3DS couldn't sell at $250, while as a console it has less games and worse tech than competitors that cost the same amount. $300 is just too high a price for what it offers.

See, there's a problem with reductive arguments like that. 3DS didn't sell poorly because it was too expensive, it sold poorly because it had a really bad library for its first 8 month. If the 3DS's first 9 months looked like the Switch's, it would have sold fine at $250. It's also not a handheld, it's a tabletop console, so it has completely different pricing expectations.

What if offers is home console games with flexibility to play off the TV, and a steady cadence of blockbuster 1st party exclusive games throughout the year, something both the 3DS and Wii U lacked. $300 is fine for that. You're undervaluing the tech and value proposition on display. The mass market won't.

spemanig said:
Normchacho said:

So...you think the Switch is going to see Wii level sales, circa 100 million units?

I still think it, as a unified platform, has the potential to do double that.

I still don't get how people think this is absurd. They've literally done it before already.

200 million? The Wii and DS might of managed 250 million together but how much of that was people buying one of each, not to mention how the market has Changed . Yes it's absured to think that sort of number is possible.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

As a portable it's too expensive as even 3DS couldn't sell at $250, while as a console it has less games and worse tech than competitors that cost the same amount. $300 is just too high a price for what it offers.

See, there's a problem with reductive arguments like that. 3DS didn't sell poorly because it was too expensive, it sold poorly because it had a really bad library for its first 8 month. If the 3DS's first 9 months looked like the Switch's, it would have sold fine at $250. It's also not a handheld, it's a tabletop console, so it has completely different pricing expectations.

What if offers is home console games with flexibility to play off the TV, and a steady cadence of blockbuster 1st party exclusive games throughout the year, something both the 3DS and Wii U lacked. $300 is fine for that. You're undervaluing the tech and value proposition on display. The mass market won't.

When 3DS's price was cut from $250 to $170, its sales spiked by 260%. Clearly the price tag was a deal breaker for a lot of people.

And I'm not seeing this "steady cadence of first party blockbuster exlcusives", so far it has what, Zelda, Mario, Splatoon 2, all major blockbusters to be sure, but that's three for the whole year.

Lol, Switch would bé lucky to only reach 1/3 of Wii sales

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
spemanig said:

At $300 no game bundled in? I'd be surprised if it makes it to the end of the year like that.

When something like xbox or Uncharted will do $200 WITH a game (and a huge backlog) Nintendo will need to compete and compete hard.

I don't even have a clue what 2018 will be like. They will have used up Zelda, 3d Mario, Mario kart 8 rehash, xenoblade, and Splatoon 2.

You can't compare 3 year old tech prices to brand new tech. No one is looking at a $300 new device and thinking "man, this sure is overpriced compared to this 3 year old system." The Switch is new. It costs more. PS3 and 360 was "$200 with a bundle" when PS4 and XBO launched at $400 and $500. Didn't matter then. Won't matter ever. People understand what new tech entails.

You don't need to have a clue what 2018 will be like. You'll find that out at E3, like is always the case. You're saying "$300 with no bundle" as if consoles never sold well without launch bundles and with games with much less prestige than Zelda. As if having 6 major exclusive block busters releasing in the span of 8 months is somehow a weak showing. As if that isn't a good indication of how strong the exclusive line up will be next year.

Bandorr said:
spemanig said:

You can't compare 3 year old tech prices to brand new tech. No one is looking at a $300 new device and thinking "man, this sure is overpriced compared to this 3 year old system." The Switch is new. It costs more. PS3 and 360 was "$200 with a bundle" when PS4 and XBO launched at $400 and $500. Didn't matter then. Won't matter ever. People understand what new tech entails.

You don't need to have a clue what 2018 will be like. You'll find that out at E3, like is always the case. You're saying "$300 with no bundle" as if consoles never sold well without launch bundles and with games with much less prestige than Zelda. As if having 6 major exclusive block busters releasing in the span of 8 months is somehow a weak showing. As if that isn't a good indication of how strong the exclusive line up will be next year.

The ps4 /xbox one didn't compete against the PS3/Xbox 360. They competed against each other. The switch will be competing with the ps4s and xbox s.

They will be competing against both cheap consoles, and extra powerful consoles. Against 4k, and way way better third party support. Against long backlogs, better bundles and already exist using bases.

But seeing as how you think this will actually hit 200 million - I can tell you aren't actually taking things rational or logicial.  Then again you also thought the switch would be fully digital and we saw how that went..

So I'll just bow out and hope you aren't going to get your hopes crushed beyond belief.

Not will, and not "this thing." I'm saying it has the potential to, and I'm talking the entire platform over the span of like 7-8 years. That's including other iterations like a Switch Mini, Switch XL, etc.

But time will tell.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

And yet, Nintendo did a massive price cut on it.  Now, do you really think that Nintendo would have done that if they didnt think it was strictly necessary?

And about your last sentence, well, the Switch is kind of a new proposition in the market, so WE DONT REALLY KNOW how the market is gonna react to it.  I mean, I am not saying that you cannot be optimist, but I think that keeping spectations in the low might be a healthier aproach.

chakkra said:
spemanig said:

And yet, Nintendo did a massive price cut on it.  Now, do you really think that Nintendo would have done that if they didnt think it was strictly necessary?

Well yeah, they had to come up with a way to prevent 3DS sales from completely cratering and build momentum going into the holidays.

In terms of big sellers, 3DS had Nintendogs at launch in March, followed by Ocarina of Time 3D in June and nothing major until Mario Land, Mario Kart & Monster Hunter (in Japan) in Nov/Dec. It had a few small-medium size games in between but those were they only two games in the first 8 months that were million sellers.

If 3DS had a steady flow of big games than its possible that a big price cut would not have been needed.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

chakkra said:
spemanig said:

And about your last sentence, well, the Switch is kind of a new proposition in the market, so WE DONT REALLY KNOW how the market is gonna react to it. I mean, I am not saying that you cannot be optimist, but I think that keeping spectations in the low might be a healthier aproach.

Zorg addressed the first part as well as I ever could. As for the second, I never understood pretending that you have low expectations for something. The writing is on the wall for a successful platform. Why would I pretend to expect worse only to pretend to be surprised when it succeeds?

Now we don't really know how successful it will be, but we already definitively know things about the system. We know it's being marketed better than the Wii U. We know that no one is confused about what it is. We know that impressions are that it's a sleek and modern piece of tech, unlike Wii U. We know that it's slated to have a better lineup of exclusives in its first 9 months than both the Wii U and 3DS combined. We know that it's launching with one of the most anticipated games of the past 4 years, and the absolute best killer app since Wii Sports and TP on the Wii with Breath of the Wild. We know that its reveal teaser has a Youtube viewership remeniscent of the PS4's when it was revealed. We know that pre-orders are great. We know it's doing amazing in searches. We know that its support from Japanese publishers is exceptional. We know now that the Super Bowl Ad was well recieved.

We know enough about the Switch, even before making more obvious assumptions, to make an educated guess about how it's going to do well. People complained all throughout the Wii U that "if only Wii U did X, Y, and Z it would have been a hit." Switch is doing X, Y, Z and A, B, C, but I'm supposed to pretend its success, to some degree, isn't immenent because "it's healthier?" I'll take my chances.