By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kimishima expects Switch sales to reach Wii levels

Pavolink said:
Louie said:

It sold to people on the back of the theory of disruptive technology, one of the best researched and scientifically backed up business theories of all time, with a sample size of 300,000 companies across thousands of industries. It's also the theory that made Apple successful under Steve Jobs and Jobs called "The Innovator's Dilemma" (the original  book on disruptive innovation) "the most influential book I have read in my life."

The Wii's success was not a fluke, not a surprise, not based on a gimmick. Nintendo talked nonstop about disruptive innovation before the Wii launched. They shoved it into our faces. But hardcore gamers chose to ignore all of this and, because they didn't understand what was going on, decided the Wii success was due to luck. 

People tend to dismiss the Wii success. It is normal that they believe it was because of luck.

When you see someone dismissing the Wii's success, or attempting to belittle it, you can fairly conclude they lack education. The Wii also launched with one of the strongest killer apps in video gaming history.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Well the interview was for the Nikkei, so it's probably just boasting in an attempt to reassure investors.
Nobody knows how well it will sell, but considering there's a lot of umming and erring over how this consoles looks, it's pretty ridiculous to expect those kinds of numbers. Hope for and strive for them by all means.

Remember how the president said he was skeptical about the Wii U? Everyone criticized him and said they'd wait until the next console came (this was prior to the NX rumours).

He has helped nintendo reveal a solid console that essentially fixes all the mistakes from last gen. It isn't bulky, has reasonable power, features a gimmick that actually makes games more enjoyable, and so forth.

I'm sure he realizes getting 100 million will be difficult. It's probably more like his dreams than expectations. Pretty sure selling 30m-40+ would be enough to not make the device a flop. After all, they're currently selling it at an "insane" 300 and are managing well. Eventually the bundles and price cuts come in to increase sales even more

1 month to go, and I have seen zero advertising here so far.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
DarthMetalliCube said:
Ah now I remember why I came back to this site. Same reason I came here in 2006.. Going to be entertaining to see so many proven wrong yet again :P

So...you think the Switch is going to see Wii level sales, circa 100 million units?

Do I think the Switch will join the PS1 , PS2, DS, and Wii in the 100 million club? No, probably not. The Wii was a sort of lightning in a bottle phenomenon that I don't think will soon be matched, especially with the weaker state of the current economy. But I do think 60-80 million is likely. People forget that this is also a true handheld in addition to being a home console - a market that Nintendo has dominated since the 80's. 3DS was one of Nintendo's weakest efforts in the handheld market IMO, and yet it STILL sold 65 million and is still chugging. It's reasonable to think then, that Switch will sell AT LEAST that much, and probably plenty more. 

Unlike the Wii that propelled into the stratesphere out the gate, Switch will be more of a slow burn, as it's a March release rather than a holiday release, and the lineup will get a lot stronger as time goes on, but I do ultimately think it will be a major bounceback success for Nintendo. And frankly, I'd take the word of Nintendo's president over the analysts, who time and time again prove to be wrong and out of touch with the market trajectory.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Well, they just need to low the price point.
Maybe at 50$ they can sell as well as wii.

That's a bold claim to make, but hey, it's always possible. There have been some success stories that initially had rough starts and people ridiculed.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I expect Switch sales to reach WiiU levels

I was so high last night, I was totally blown away by the shower. Tracking my hands as the water cascaded over me. And sprawling on the bed was fucking awesome! I also predicted I would never have to poop again. These things happen.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."