By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kimishima expects Switch sales to reach Wii levels

That would be amazing, but it's not happening. Sorry, Kimi!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
won't be easy, but it certainly is possible

assuming no 3DS successor, 70m is a given, from there on it depends on how Nintendo and 3rd parties support it

I think it can do over 70 million but it's certainly not a given.

They went from selling 255 million units of hardware and 1.85 billion units of software last generation to 85 million units of hardware and 450 million units of software this generation.

I doubt we will see another massive decline but it is possible.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

The Switch simply isn't as revolutionary as the Wii was for it's time so I'm gonna have to say no. As long as they eventually market it as handheld I think it can get up to 80 million though. I wouldn't mind being wrong and seeing the Switch take off immediately of course!

It's really about when Nintendo drops the price. If they keep it high for the next 3 years lets say then it will sell very poorly as its just too expensive for its intended market but if it drops its price a few times like ps4 and xbone has done then it could do much better. Some markets need low pricing to generate high sales, not all regions have high disposable incomes and unless the Switch comes down to 3DS/2DS levels then its sales figures will be restricted.

Hopefully it does well enough to keep Nintendo in the hardware business at least, they certainly should be able to make a profit even with relatively low sales looking at game and accessory prices.

If you aim low you will reach low. I don't know if the Switch will sell 100M+, but Nintendo should do everything it can to get it to that point.

Systems I own: Switch, Wii U, Wii, N64, Retron 5 for my Ness, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy line games, Dreamcast, PS2, New 3DS.

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
It's really about when Nintendo drops the price. If they keep it high for the next 3 years lets say then it will sell very poorly as its just too expensive for its intended market but if it drops its price a few times like ps4 and xbone has done then it could do much better. Some markets need low pricing to generate high sales, not all regions have high disposable incomes and unless the Switch comes down to 3DS/2DS levels then its sales figures will be restricted.

Yeah it really needs a price cut to hit its stride I reckon. $300 is just too much for non-enthusiasts, but I can see it doing very well at $250/$200.

K98632 said:
If you aim low you will reach low. I don't know if the Switch will sell 100M+, but Nintendo should do everything it can to get it to that point.

Agreed.

curl-6 said:
bonzobanana said:

Yeah it really needs a price cut to hit its stride I reckon. $300 is just too much for non-enthusiasts, but I can see it doing very well at $250/$200.

Nah, $300 is a fine launch price for what the Switch is. It can hit it's stride fine a this price. 

spemanig said:

curl-6 said:

Nah, $300 is a fine launch price for what the Switch is. It can hit it's stride fine a this price. 

It will sell well at first as hardcore fans get in on the action, but I can't see it breaking through to the mass market at that price point.

curl-6 said:
spemanig said:

It will sell well at first as hardcore fans get in on the action, but I can't see it breaking through to the mass market at that price point.

I don't see why not. The Switch has a lot of mass market appeal as a piece of hardware.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

I don't see why not. The Switch has a lot of mass market appeal as a piece of hardware.

As a portable it's too expensive as even 3DS couldn't sell at $250, while as a console it has less games and worse tech than competitors that cost the same amount. $300 is just too high a price for what it offers.