By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was it worth it for Square to make FFXV for XboxOne?

 

Should square keep FF PS4 exclusive?

Yes, that's where their fans are! 150 32.89%
 
Yes, I want PS4 to win! 29 6.36%
 
No, 3rd party exclusives suck! 61 13.38%
 
No, Square needs all the sales they can get! 151 33.11%
 
See answers. 65 14.25%
 
Total:456
Pinkie_pie said:
Yes it was worth it and poll sucks


Around the Network

Nice easy port, keeps the franchise and Square Enix in the mindset of over 25 Million users and will continue to sell until the next Final Fantasy release on Xbox One. Will break a Million with time, if it hasn't already.

They gain literally nothing from making this game a PS4 exclusive.



                            

Farsala said:
Swordmasterman said:

Kingdom Hearts is a big game, the first 2 main games sold 10.7 millions(Vgchartz numbers) combined.

Not for Xbox (0 sales), and we can't assume it will do that well on PS4 yet. Non PS2 games have sold 1-2m, with 20-40% of sales coming from Japan, which Xbox will get none from.

To be fair, there wasn't a new  mainline game last gen.



I think PC should have been their priority over Xbox One.
J-RPG's just sell better on PC's than Xbox now a days.
PC got Tales of Berseria, Nier Automata and Ni No Kuni II this year.

Still no word on PC port of FF XV though..



CGI-Quality said:
Luke888 said:
People seriously need to make this point, it's THAT STUPID, FF is a big franchise, big franchises sell well on all platforms, hence it's worth the port, it's not even like FFXV had sub 200k sales on X1, it sold decently and on the long run it'll do its 1/2M copies which is FAR MORE than what's needed to justify it beeing on the platform...

Eh, this is relative. Had FFXV sold 800K (total), then 200K is a good little cut of the pie. But out of 5-7m, such a total would incredibly dire (and 800K-1m of that, while respectable, is still a chunk they missed out on). 

In this case, both versions are still selling and it's way too early to conclude if this was a sound business decision or not (realistically, no one here can say, either way, anwway, as we don't know the budget nor expectations), but I can deduce that exclusivity probably would have pushed a chunk of those Xbox buyers to pick up a PS4.

I would have been greatly dissapointed by this decision. Definitely not getting a PS4 just for one game. I think the majority of XBO FF15 players will agree



 

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Eh, this is relative. Had FFXV sold 800K (total), then 200K is a good little cut of the pie. But out of 5-7m, such a total would incredibly dire (and 800K-1m of that, while respectable, is still a chunk they missed out on). 

In this case, both versions are still selling and it's way too early to conclude if this was a sound business decision or not (realistically, no one here can say, either way, anwway, as we don't know the budget nor expectations), but I can deduce that exclusivity probably would have pushed a chunk of those Xbox buyers to pick up a PS4.

I would have been greatly dissapointed by this decision. Definitely not getting a PS4 just for one game. I think the majority of XBO FF15 players will agree

That's you, though. Plenty of people would have done just that under those circumstances.



                                                                                                                                                           

Radek said:
I think PC should have been their priority over Xbox One.
J-RPG's just sell better on PC's than Xbox now a days.
PC got Tales of Berseria, Nier Automata and Ni No Kuni II this year.

Still no word on PC port of FF XV though..

Not Final Fantasy games. Type-0 HD sold only 120k according to SteamSpy and more than 250k on Xbox One retail only. FFX/X-2 remaster released this year sold less than 300k on Steam. XIII less than 1m. Also, don't forget that Steam has regional prices. In some countries Steam games doesn't cost 60$. 30$ or even less. So, they get less money from Steam with the same sales as on XBO. And that is what matters most. The revenue. Not sales numbers.



 

CGI-Quality said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

I would have been greatly dissapointed by this decision. Definitely not getting a PS4 just for one game. I think the majority of XBO FF15 players will agree

That's you, though. Plenty of people would have done just that under those circumstances.

Plenty of people, sure. But I doubt that number would have come close to matching the number of copies the Xbox One version sold. 



derpysquirtle64 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Eh, this is relative. Had FFXV sold 800K (total), then 200K is a good little cut of the pie. But out of 5-7m, such a total would incredibly dire (and 800K-1m of that, while respectable, is still a chunk they missed out on). 

In this case, both versions are still selling and it's way too early to conclude if this was a sound business decision or not (realistically, no one here can say, either way, anwway, as we don't know the budget nor expectations), but I can deduce that exclusivity probably would have pushed a chunk of those Xbox buyers to pick up a PS4.

I would have been greatly dissapointed by this decision. Definitely not getting a PS4 just for one game. I think the majority of XBO FF15 players will agree

I got the xbox one three games. One of which was cancelled (scalebound), and one of which came to steam the same year (Quantum break).

So in essence I got the xbox one.. for SSO.

I'm interested in FE warriors. It is coming to the N3Ds and the switch. I'm not going to have a switch by then so I'm getting it for the N3ds. If it wasn't coming to the 3ds? it would be yet another game in the "reason to get switch" pile.

Heck I got a wii U for Bayonetta 2, and I got the ps4 for infamous second son and didn't touch it again a year later.

If you weren't into FF you probably wouldn't get a ps4. If FF was exclusive to PS4 though? People would buy one.



  • Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
CGI-Quality said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

I would have been greatly dissapointed by this decision. Definitely not getting a PS4 just for one game. I think the majority of XBO FF15 players will agree

That's you, though. Plenty of people would have done just that under those circumstances.

Still bad for SqEnix. If they wouldn't have some kind of partnership or marketing deal with Sony, they will get nothing from PS4s sold to XBO owners which will buy it just to play FFXV. But some sales from this 600k on XBO they would have lost. So, less money for them.