By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was it worth it for Square to make FFXV for XboxOne?

Should square keep FF PS4 exclusive?

Yes, that's where their fans are! 150 32.89%

Yes, I want PS4 to win! 29 6.36%

No, 3rd party exclusives suck! 61 13.38%

No, Square needs all the sales they can get! 151 33.11%

See answers. 65 14.25%

Total:456

Unless they spent a massive amount of money porting this game, yeah.

Seems to be on its way to selling over a million physical units and it could be selling well digitally.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I've always enjoyed exclusives more, to be honest. They just give me the sense that the developer put all of their time an energy into making the (single) experience I am playing the best it can possibly be. Ports after initial release don't bother me, but multi-plats from the get go strike me as a divided effort. Maybe that's why Nintendo fans push back against third parties. We are used to a tailored, polished, individual experience.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Possibly, though I do agree that F.F is one of the few that can get away with it. I'm not even sure Kingdom Hearts will do when 3 finally appears.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

twintail said:
Really depends how much they spent on the port and whether sales reflect a profit for the X1 version.

If they made their money back on the X1 version then it was fine. If they didnt, then no.

pretty much this.

Currently Playing: N/A

Anime and Studying is life RN

No. It wasn't worth it. I think this game would have gotten a substantially better and more tasteful push out West via Sony.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network

Was it worth it for Square to make FFXV for any platform?

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Pfft! You could ask the same question regarding any game these days;D
Seriously though, multi-platform is ultimately good for the consumer so I won't question it.

RavenXtra said:
No reason to turn down the extra sales, there's no guarantee everyone who bought it for XB1 would have bought it if it were only on PS4

depends on if it was difficult to port it at all. One would assume it wouldn't cost them that much, once the game was already made, to release on btoh consoles. But supposedly some developers have claimed from time to time that the process can be more expensive than expected

I doubt the PS4 and X-ONe architecture is that different though so it would seem like an obvious good choice given 1 million extra sales or whatever.

That said, Square Enix bitches about what appears to be great sales in the millions ALL OF THE TIME so its quite hard to tell what is or isn't worth it to them. Based on their early predictions (which I think was like over 10 million for the game to make money apparently) they'll probably be disappointed regardless of what happens 

derpysquirtle64 said:
Radek said:
I think PC should have been their priority over Xbox One.
J-RPG's just sell better on PC's than Xbox now a days.
PC got Tales of Berseria, Nier Automata and Ni No Kuni II this year.

Still no word on PC port of FF XV though..

Not Final Fantasy games. Type-0 HD sold only 120k according to SteamSpy and more than 250k on Xbox One retail only. FFX/X-2 remaster released this year sold less than 300k on Steam. XIII less than 1m. Also, don't forget that Steam has regional prices. In some countries Steam games doesn't cost 60$. 30$ or even less. So, they get less money from Steam with the same sales as on XBO. And that is what matters most. The revenue. Not sales numbers.

Steam is 100% digital,  it gives more money than the console release(per unit).

FFX din't have a Xbox One release, FFXIII  was a 5-6 years old game when it launched, and a lot of people say that its a bad game.

FF 7-8 sold 600-1.2 millions on Steam.

mountaindewslave said:
RavenXtra said:
No reason to turn down the extra sales, there's no guarantee everyone who bought it for XB1 would have bought it if it were only on PS4

depends on if it was difficult to port it at all. One would assume it wouldn't cost them that much, once the game was already made, to release on btoh consoles. But supposedly some developers have claimed from time to time that the process can be more expensive than expected

I doubt the PS4 and X-ONe architecture is that different though so it would seem like an obvious good choice given 1 million extra sales or whatever.

That said, Square Enix bitches about what appears to be great sales in the millions ALL OF THE TIME so its quite hard to tell what is or isn't worth it to them. Based on their early predictions (which I think was like over 10 million for the game to make money apparently) they'll probably be disappointed regardless of what happens 

They would not release  a game to sell 10 millions for profit. They aren't Activision or Rockstar. The goal was to surpass all the previous games.