By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [Patent] The Switch could rival the Oculus rift, if done right by Nintendo.

Would you like to see Nintendo release a VR headset?🥓

Hell yeah!🐯 28 33.73%

Not really🐢 55 66.27%

Total:83
Lafiel said:
it could deliever the experience of the 4 years old Rift DK1, which had a 1280x800/60hz LCD screen, with gyros/accelerometers/magnetometer tracking for rotational motions (no positional tracking)

Except a display intended specifically for VR will no doubt offer better image quality than a display that's slotted into a plastic headset, even if both displays are the same resolution.

I think PSVR will offer better image quality then my 1080p phone in a Google Cardboard.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Lafiel said:
it could deliever the experience of the 4 years old Rift DK1, which had a 1280x800/60hz LCD screen, with gyros/accelerometers/magnetometer tracking for rotational motions (no positional tracking)

Except a display intended specifically for VR will no doubt offer better image quality than a display that's slotted into a plastic headset, even if both displays are the same resolution.

I think PSVR will offer better image quality then my 1080p phone in a Google Cardboard.

the display of the DK1 wasn't intended for VR, it was a normal 7" tablet display

Lafiel said:
Barkley said:

the display of the DK1 wasn't intended for VR, it was a normal 7" tablet display

"The Rift DK1 was released on March 29, 2013,[19] and used a 7-inch (18 cm) screen with a significantly lower pixel switching time than the original prototype, reducing latency and motion blur when turning one's head quickly. The pixel fill was also better, reducing the screen door effect and making individual pixels less noticeable. The LCD was brighter and the color depth is 24 bits per pixel."

Dunno sounds like to me they were already specifically tailoring the screen for VR experiences.

Barkley said:
Lafiel said:

"The Rift DK1 was released on March 29, 2013,[19] and used a 7-inch (18 cm) screen with a significantly lower pixel switching time than the original prototype, reducing latency and motion blur when turning one's head quickly. The pixel fill was also better, reducing the screen door effect and making individual pixels less noticeable. The LCD was brighter and the color depth is 24 bits per pixel."

Dunno sounds like to me they were already specifically tailoring the screen for VR experiences.

I imagine they picked the most fitting out of what was available to them (while the Switches display might be picked with different criteria in mind - but it's also much newer), I doubt Oculus was anywhere near big enough to get a custom screen - especially as the DK1 afaik was sold at just $300

Rivaling Oculus...really, this is just hilarious at this point.

Around the Network

How can this even be patented since there's already a ton of solutions like this?

That 320p Nintendo switch VR :P

If Nintendo wanted VR to be a big part of the Switch appeal they should have announced it at launch. I think it would have been good even at 720p but the Switch is performing even lower than I expected and it needed to be pushed at launch. A weak approach with only a few supported VR titles would kill it.

Before the announcement I was thinking;

The Switch might only support 720p in portable mode but the tablet resolution would be slightly above like a 900p resolution.

The Switch would have removed the little arm chips but replaced them with higher amounts of cache memory so a full frame buffer could be stored to give the Switch a big performance increase but its performance level doesn't seem to indicate that.

The tablet supports all required functions internally, gyroscope etc but no indications of that.

I feel this Switch model is dead after the launch but hope to see a better model sometime in the future.

We've had VR long before we had hd resolutions and it worked fine. It's not going to be the same experience as Oculus rift obviously, but it would be a neat novelty for a few Wii Sports-esque games. Keep the visuals simple, keep the headset cheap, and it could work.

It's not going to rival the rift of course, but it could be a good success for Nintendo. Nintendo's made tons of money making things work with cheap or dated tech, so why not.

JWeinCom said:
We've had VR long before we had hd resolutions and it worked fine. It's not going to be the same experience as Oculus rift obviously, but it would be a neat novelty for a few Wii Sports-esque games. Keep the visuals simple, keep the headset cheap, and it could work.

It's not going to rival the rift of course, but it could be a good success for Nintendo. Nintendo's made tons of money making things work with cheap or dated tech, so why not.

Exactly, if the game is taliored for the switch the VR will be usable, and probally only NIntendo and a few other will even attempt it. It will not be a jaw dropping high fidelity experience. But an enjoyable one and really isn't that what most want from a game.