By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil 7 PS4 vs Xbox One - Sony's console runs game far better

AsGryffynn said:
UnderstatedCornHole said:

You don't welcome optional information that can inform buying choice and provide interesting technical details?

Well, comparisons like these are a reminder of something we know. I expect them to stay when the tables are turned. Then we will see if they continue... 

Comparisons are not automatically console wars, fanboy bullshit.  Some commenters may try to make it so. But, just ignore them.

Around the Network

Game is crazy well optimised. Was hitting 140fps maxed out with a GTX1060 & old 2500k. Guessing its to do with the smaller environments, the game is gorgeous nonetheless. XB1 should surely be able to maintain 60fps on this game.

NATO said:
Azzanation said:
Not if your playing the XB1 version on your PC since its play anywhere

Stratospheric levels of goalpost moving there.

Olympic level mental gymnastics.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Radek said:
KLAMarine said:

PS4 runs it better than X1 but not by much: you'd have to have them side-by-side to really notice. PC is definitive version though as pointed out in the video.

Sigh. Both consoles cost 300$

Xbox Version renders 1 million pixels (960x1080)

PS4 version renders 2 million pixels (1920x1080)

PS4 version has 5-15 fps adventage in heavy scenes.

But it's "not by much" 

Whatever you say I guess.

Xbox version is so bad, that it's much worse than Specs difference would suggest.

It should run at 900p (1.4 million pixels) at the same locked 60 fps but it runs both much lower resolution and lower frame-rate. (multiple sources confirmed 960x1080, Digital Foundry made a mistake)

It's a bad port.

I'll take your word for it that it's a bad port. I dunno.

Radek said:
KLAMarine said:

PS4 runs it better than X1 but not by much: you'd have to have them side-by-side to really notice. PC is definitive version though as pointed out in the video.

But it's "not by much" 

Xbox version is so bad, that it's much worse than Specs difference would suggest.

It should run at 900p (1.4 million pixels) at the same locked 60 fps but it runs both much lower resolution and lower frame-rate. (multiple sources confirmed 960x1080, Digital Foundry made a mistake)

It's a bad port.

I'm no tech guy but that's it? That's how we define power? Pixels?

Polygons don't matter. Effects don't matter. Audio doesn't matter. If that's the case, cool. I can't argue. I don't have a leg to stand on. But you'd think there was more to it than that. RE7 is a blurry, grainy game by design. 

Around the Network
tinfamous12 said:
Title of this thread is interesting, the differences (again) are tiny, but PS4 runs "far better"?

people will start using "tiny" when the xbox scorpio is being compared to ps4 pro.

Obviously there are differences and if you own both consoles you should pick up the ps4 version of this but the xbox seems to still hold up quite decent its not a world of difference but when I visited the topic I expected it to be.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

d21lewis said:
Radek said:

But it's "not by much" 

It's a bad port.

Polygons don't matter. Effects don't matter. Audio doesn't matter. If that's the case, cool. I can't argue. I don't have a leg to stand on. But you'd think there was more to it than that. RE7 is a blurry, grainy game by design. 

You could also argue that the XBox runs it better as with horror games, less is more! Power of suggestion and not showing the danger in full detail help the illusion. In VR I was freaking out from a glitchy shadow cast by flies buzzing around a lamp in the next room. The more you show, in more detail, the less scary it gets. Sound is the most important in horror games, yet almost never mentioned in reviews. Ofcourse frame rate drops are bad no matter what.

Case in point, one of the scarier moments in Outlast relying on the infrared cam, is there something moving out there...

Going to 4K for horror games is missing the point.

SvennoJ said:
d21lewis said:

You could also argue that the XBox runs it better as with horror games, less is more! Power of suggestion and not showing the danger in full detail help the illusion. In VR I was freaking out from a glitchy shadow cast by flies buzzing around a lamp in the next room. The more you show, in more detail, the less scary it gets. Sound is the most important in horror games, yet almost never mentioned in reviews. Ofcourse frame rate drops are bad no matter what.

Case in point, one of the scarier moments in Outlast relying on the infrared cam, is there something moving out there...

Going to 4K for horror games is missing the point.

The PS4 is more powerful. That's a fact. Coming from the days where one version of a game would have less content, missing music tracks, smaller environments, missing cutscenes, etc, just saying "This version is MUCH better because it's a little sharper"  seems a little petty.

With Xbox One vs PS4, it's like the same experience, except with the sharpness setting turned down, most of the time.

I'm not an expert but, on several occasions, I've gotten the same game on Xbox One and PS4. On a few occasions (or Tomb Raider 2013), I've gotten the same game on PS3, PS4, X360, AND Xbox One. I've played TLoU on PS3, PS4, and PS4 Pro. Shit gets blown out of proportion.

d21lewis said:

The PS4 is more powerful. That's a fact. Coming from the days where one version of a game would have less content, missing music tracks, smaller environments, missing cutscenes, etc, just saying "This version is MUCH better because it's a little sharper"  seems a little petty.

With Xbox One vs PS4, it's like the same experience, except with the sharpness setting turned down, most of the time.

I'm not an expert but, on several occasions, I've gotten the same game on Xbox One and PS4. On a few occasions (or Tomb Raider 2013), I've gotten the same game on PS3, PS4, X360, AND Xbox One. I've played TLoU on PS3, PS4, and PS4 Pro. Shit gets blown out of proportion.

It kinda depends on what the game was made on or for. For example Tlou, while it looks nice and sharp on ps4 and pro, it also looks unevenly detailed in places betraying that it was intended as a 720p game. In hindsight my mind colors in the ps3 version as better looking... Perhaps cause I played it first and going back to it now will be off putting, dunno. The ps4 version looked great as well but it still looked like a last gen game rendered above its target resolution.

What kind of game is important too. RE7 is heavily post processed with depth of field effects, the game isn't very sharp to begin with. The difference used to be bigger. Matching native display res at 1080 was like lifting a veil from the visuals. Nowadays most games are so heavily post processed that that veil never gets lifted. You'll need to go indie for that sharp clean 1080p feel. It's probably also why checkboard upscaling is working out so well.
If you're playing a fast racing game where you're concentrating at what's coming up in the distance than any bit of extra resolution and stability helps. Actually the size of the screen helps out most. Racing in PSVR >>> racing on projector > racing on tv.

I mostly prefer to play games on what they were made for. A Vita port to ps4 looks pretty basic and bare on TV. Playing a game intended for 720p tv on the 480p WiiU gamepad looks quite crowded or busy. So I'm quite anxious to see how Nintendo is going to pull off making games look great on both 720p handheld and 1080p tv. The difference will be less than between vita/gamepad and 1080p at least.

Anyway going to play more RE7 in what it wasn't really intended for, PSVR. 4th playthrough, mopping up the coins, files and bobbleheads now I have the x-ray glasses. Also not using any health packs or herbs this run, saving the steroids for when I occasionally do need a heal. Then one more run on madhouse to get the rest of the coins there. Just can't get enough of it in psvr, so yeah, ps4 does run the game far better :)

David_Hernandeez said:
Otter said:
On both platforms this is in the top 5 best lookibg ganes of the generation. The humans are probably the best Ive seen in any game.

LOL NO, I love the game but you have to be blind to think is top 5, its has horrible textures, some texutre look like PS2 era and molded also look low poly.

Haha, to be fair I haven't played the game but did see several shortplay vids that impressed me.