By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the paywall kills Splatoon ?

Barkley said:

Jranation said:

And I dont think that stopped PS4 games from being awesome and continue to sell well!

But the PlayStation and Nintendo fanbases are markedly different, and there are MANY titles on PS4 that are online focused, whereas Online Multiplayer on a Nintendo System is by comparison a rarity. The only Nintendo game I have EVER played online is Mario Kart... DS,Wii,3DS,WiiU combined. Online Multiplayer just isn't as prevalent in Nintendo Games, so is it really worth paying a subscription for one or two games?

I imagine if we had Data Nintendo Consoles are HEAVILY skewed towards singleplayer and local gameplay compared to PS4/XBO.

It's hard to justify paying a subscription for just one or two games, when everything else I'll never touch the online, if it even features it.

Good point there. In saying that I am hoping:

- The price  is very nice

- Nintendo embracing the online features more

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
celador said:

I know because I've used all three and Nintendo's is the worst, I stopped playing Splatoon because of the crappy service. And the games they are going to be offering with the service are really old and they are only giving out one a month.

Really? I thought the whole online system was being revamped for Switch - pretty much one of the keypoints Iwata brought up in the NX project, if I recall. 

Barkley said:

Nintendo's Online better then PSN/XBL?

They're barely getting out the gate when it comes to online features, they're not going to suddenly catch-up and surpass the competition.

Has Nintendo announced anything about the online features? What we know so far are the smartphone app for communication and parental controls app. That's not much, but especially the parental controls app kick ass, and potentially so does the communication app. 

Qwark said:

Is there any evidence those exist or just stepped over to pc. I wouldn't call the typical Nintendo homeconsole audience the people that bought a Wii. So that leaves the people who bought a Gamecube, but the installbase of the Gamecube wasn't much bigger than the one of Wii U. Besides the Playstation audience also didn't care for the PS3 at first. So all the audiences got a certain standard, doesn't make one better or worse than the other.

Firstly, nobody was talking about home console audience, secondly, even if they did, the Gamecube/Wii U audience isn't your typical Nintendo home console audience, Wii fits it much better. Also, ALL who bought Wiis weren't typical Nintendo audience, but Wii was the ONLY home console the typical Nintendo audience bought.

The typical Nintendo audience is very much oldschool/arcade gamer, that has disinterest in the modern industry games.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
Barkley said:

They're barely getting out the gate when it comes to online features, they're not going to suddenly catch-up and surpass the competition.

Has Nintendo announced anything about the online features? What we know so far are the smartphone app for communication and parental controls app. That's not much, but especially the parental controls app kick ass, and potentially so does the communication app. 

But isn't that the whole point? It's a new service. Expecting them to come out the gate and be "better" then services that have been running continously for over a decade, constantly being upgraded and updated and receiving feedback is completely unfeasible in my books.

bdbdbd said:
celador said:

I know because I've used all three and Nintendo's is the worst, I stopped playing Splatoon because of the crappy service. And the games they are going to be offering with the service are really old and they are only giving out one a month.

Really? I thought the whole online system was being revamped for Switch - pretty much one of the keypoints Iwata brought up in the NX project, if I recall. 

Barkley said:

Qwark said:

Is there any evidence those exist or just stepped over to pc. I wouldn't call the typical Nintendo homeconsole audience the people that bought a Wii. So that leaves the people who bought a Gamecube, but the installbase of the Gamecube wasn't much bigger than the one of Wii U. Besides the Playstation audience also didn't care for the PS3 at first. So all the audiences got a certain standard, doesn't make one better or worse than the other.

Firstly, nobody was talking about home console audience, secondly, even if they did, the Gamecube/Wii U audience isn't your typical Nintendo home console audience, Wii fits it much better. Also, ALL who bought Wiis weren't typical Nintendo audience, but Wii was the ONLY home console the typical Nintendo audience bought.

The typical Nintendo audience is very much oldschool/arcade gamer, that has disinterest in the modern industry games.

Geez the way you discribe the typical Nintendo audience sounds very sad...

I love my retro nintendo classics but also love modern games! Guess im not sophisticated!! Lol

About the original comment that the Nintendo audience is more sophisticated... That person is just  being arrogant plain and simple.

Oh and on topic. Will the pay wall kill Splatoon? Probably not.

So we all gonna ignore the blatant lies in this thread? Ok then

Around the Network

It won't kill it, but it will definitely hurt it.
Nintendo's online has always lagged way behind the competition and I don't see any reason why that would change now. Add to that the relatively tiny selection of online multiplayer games compared to PS/XB, and paying to play Switch online will be tough to justify for a lot of people.

Barkley said:
bdbdbd said:

But isn't that the whole point? It's a new service. Expecting them to come out the gate and be "better" then services that have been running continously for over a decade, constantly being upgraded and updated and receiving feedback is completely unfeasible in my books.

That's something that happens all the time. If Nintendo is just copypasteing XBL and PSN, it's not going to make a better service. I'm expecting something different from Nintendo. New service would also mean they'd not be just patching the old one. Think about how fast Google topped Microsoft in the internet, while MS already had been in the internet ever since it was created.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

In Japan, it will be a success by virtue of the 8-player local multiplayer. Bonus points if you can sub in and out whenever you wish.

Not sure what to make of it elsewhere, though.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Charging for online play is a very bad idea on Nintendo's part. When it launches, there will be,what, two games that have any kind of meaningful online play? Nintendo doesn't have dozens of shooters and whatnot on their console, they can't justify selling online play as a premium service. I very much hope they rethink this plan.

No it won't since we don't even know what the price of online is anyways

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]