By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the paywall kills Splatoon ?

bonzobanana said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Uh except Splatoon 2 is a sequel in everyway, so those who enjoyed the first game are definitely going to be interested in it. Not sure why you guys think otherwise, but it's pretty clear the game is new and not a port.

I guess it was this article that made it seem like only a sequel in name only.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-18-splatoon-2-doesnt-feel-like-a-proper-sequel-just-yet

They're just upset they were wrong about it being a port. I don't think they're actually fool enough to not realize how extremely limited the demo obviously is compared to what the final game will be like, and they're vastly underselling how much completely new specials impacts the game.

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
Barkley said:

Not sure Mario Maker holds up, it's just sharing levels rather than online multiplayer, which hopefully won't require a subscription as LBP3 for example doesn't require PS+ to access user created content.

Mario Kart and Splatoon yeah, Smash... well I guess there are people who play it online. I've only ever played singleplayer and local multiplayer personally.

I guess it really just depends on what titles appeal to you, as there definitely ARE enough games to justify a subscription if the online appeals to you. But Smash, Animal Crossing, Pokemon... these are all games that do feature online but that I play solely Singleplayer and Locally.

So yeah it obviously depends on what each person wants to do. I just don't think Online Multiplayer is as big a deal to the majority of Nintendo Gamers as the PS4/XBO crowd. So if there's someone who'll only ever play multiplayer online on Mario Kart and Splatoon (such as myself) it may put them off.

I won't buy Splatoon if I can't play it online, and I won't be paying $50/year just to play a couple of games. Splatoon is the only Nintendo game where Online Multiplayer is a necessity in my opinion.

Online multiplayer is a necessity for Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Splatoon, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter and in the future also Arms. Those are all juggernauts and many people will pay to play these games online. 

Did you see the word opinion?

But no, I've played almost 100 hours of Smash in total and never touched online, Pokemon I only play the story, Animal Crossing 99.9% single player and ovisited my cousins town on local wireless about three times total. I don't play Monster Hunter, Mario Kart I play mostly local multiplayer also, but I do enjoy online, but it's not a game I wouldn't buy if I didn't have access to online so it's not a necessity for me.

Splatoon is the only game I wouldn't buy if I couldn't play the online multiplayer, thus the only game where online multiplayer is a necessity for me.

celador said:
Nintendo can't justify the price being $50, it isn't close to the same quality of service as Live or PSN.

How do you know? Hopefully they'll do better than that.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

On the contrary, I think Splatoon is what gave Nintendo the confidence to start charging online. dont have evidence, but I'd guess for Wii U, Splatoon has the most logged hours of online play. So now that nintendo has a little more variety added to their kart and smash portfolio, again Splatoon IMO put charging online over the top. Hopefully they come up with a decent sports solution if EA/2K dont stick around.

Qwark said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
It didn't kill Call of Duty, so no. Yeah yeah, Nintendo audience is different and more sophisticated than the Sony/Microsoft crowd, but not really, they're still humans all the same.

Also, where you getting $50 annual fee from? They haven't announced a price yet.

You know that same Nintendo audience defended the Wii U no matter what right. I don't think the Nintendo audience is in any way more sophisticated than PS4 and Xone. 

Ehh.. I don't think Nintendo audience defended Wii U, it seems to be the complete opposite; them being the most critical about the Wii U. Of course there's always fanboys that are ready to take a Wii U up their asses sideways and like it, but what was in question was the actual Nintendo audience, that rejects the PS4, X1 and Wii U.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
celador said:
Nintendo can't justify the price being $50, it isn't close to the same quality of service as Live or PSN.

I know because I've used all three and Nintendo's is the worst, I stopped playing Splatoon because of the crappy service. And the games they are going to be offering with the service are really old and they are only giving out one a month.

bdbdbd said:
celador said:

Nintendo's Online better then PSN/XBL?

They're barely getting out the gate when it comes to online features, they're not going to suddenly catch-up and surpass the competition.

bdbdbd said:
Qwark said:

You know that same Nintendo audience defended the Wii U no matter what right. I don't think the Nintendo audience is in any way more sophisticated than PS4 and Xone. 

Ehh.. I don't think Nintendo audience defended Wii U, it seems to be the complete opposite; them being the most critical about the Wii U. Of course there's always fanboys that are ready to take a Wii U up their asses sideways and like it, but what was in question was the actual Nintendo audience, that rejects the PS4, X1 and Wii U.

Is there any evidence those exist or just stepped over to pc. I wouldn't call the typical Nintendo homeconsole audience the people that bought a Wii. So that leaves the people who bought a Gamecube, but the installbase of the Gamecube wasn't much bigger than the one of Wii U. Besides the Playstation audience also didn't care for the PS3 at first. So all the audiences got a certain standard, doesn't make one better or worse than the other.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Well, I really think splatoon 2 will have more offline modes. In fact local multiplayer (with different switches) is already announced. So, there is AI for bots as inklink players. Can be implemented on lots of modes, andmaybe the game can live enough without while online...

jonathanalis said:
Well, I really think splatoon 2 will have more offline modes. In fact local multiplayer (with different switches) is already announced.

Yeah as long as Nintendo don't decide to require the subscription for Local Wireless too. xD

Just joking they won't. Almost certainly not.... definitely not... I'm not PARANOID.