By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the paywall kills Splatoon ?

Splatoon was the surprise game of the Wii U. Now, the sequel is being released for the Switch.

But the online is the only interest of this game, it's top class, while the solo was just a light and short training ground.

How many people amid the 5 millions who played it on Wii U will want to buy the Switch, buy the new game and then pay a 50$ annual fees to play?

I fear that Nintendo is setting up Splatoon to fail big time on the Switch.

Around the Network

Nintendo can't justify the price being $50, it isn't close to the same quality of service as Live or PSN.

The paywall hasn't affected any other system, has it? Not significantly at least. It's the kind of thing that people complain about for a while, then it happens, people grudgingly accept it, and it isn't spoke about again

It didn't kill Call of Duty, so no. Yeah yeah, Nintendo audience is different and more sophisticated than the Sony/Microsoft crowd, but not really, they're still humans all the same.

Also, where you getting $50 annual fee from? They haven't announced a price yet.

I don't think Splatoon 2 will be hit too hard by the paid online. Paid online services don't seem to have harmed PS4 or Xbox online shooters, and Splatoon 2 will also have the advantage of three months of free online after launch. Not to mention that people will be more willing to pay for online as other multiplayer Switch games are released before the price tag is attached. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Dragon Quest X, Minecraft and the online-enabled Virtual Console games are going to help in that regard.

Love and tolerate.

The paywall certainly did kill Splatoon for me, I won't be buying the sequel because I'm not going to pay for online. I don't think it will have an effect on the overall game sales though, most people will just pay for online without question =P

Around the Network

You also have to take in consideration that Splatoon can now be played on the go / portable. That alone will attract more users especially the 3DS users!

And I dont think that stopped PS4 games from being awesome and continue to sell well!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Since the price for online wasn't announced we can't predict if it will kill the game, plus Splatoon will come out in Summer so we'll have a few moths of free online... /tread

If it isn't too expensive to play online, the game won't fail.

Jranation said:

And I dont think that stopped PS4 games from being awesome and continue to sell well!

But the PlayStation and Nintendo fanbases are markedly different, and there are MANY titles on PS4 that are online focused, whereas Online Multiplayer on a Nintendo System is by comparison a rarity. The only Nintendo game I have EVER played online is Mario Kart... DS,Wii,3DS,WiiU combined. Online Multiplayer just isn't as prevalent in Nintendo Games, so is it really worth paying a subscription for one or two games?

I imagine if we had Data Nintendo Consoles are HEAVILY skewed towards singleplayer and local gameplay compared to PS4/XBO.

It's hard to justify paying a subscription for just one or two games, when everything else I'll never touch the online, if it even features it.

I could def. see it effecting how many people buy splatoon 2.