By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Berlin to Donald Trump: 'Don't build this wall

Your Stance?

For the wall 91 37.92%

Against the Wall 149 62.08%

Total:240

Berlin mayor to Donald Trump: 'Don't build this wall'

The mayor of Germany’s once-divided capital, Berlin, Michael Mueller, offered some advice to Donald Trump on Friday: “Don’t build this wall!”

The US president, holding true to his campaign promise, this week ordered US officials to begin to design and construct a wall along the 2,000-mile (3,200-kilometre) US-Mexico border.

While the White House has also threatened to tax Mexican imports to cover its cost, Mexican president Enrique Peña Nieto cancelled a planned Washington protest.

Berlin’s mayor said his city – which was split by the Berlin Wall during the cold war from 1961-89 – “cannot look on without comment when a country plans to build a new wall”.

“We Berliners know best how much suffering was caused by the division of an entire continent with barbed wire and concrete,” he said in a statement, referring to Europe’s “Iron Curtain” division.

In the early 21st century, he said, “We can’t just accept it if our historical experience is disregarded by those to whom we largely owe our freedom, the Americans.”

Pointing to the continuing division of the Korean peninsula and the island of Cyprus, the Social Democrat urged Trump “not to go down this wrong path of isolation and exclusion”.

Mueller also recalled former US president Ronald Reagan’s famous 1987 challenge to then Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev to “tear down this wall!”, and said in his message to Trump: “Dear Mr President, don’t build this wall!

Source:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/27/berlin-mayor-michael-mueller-donald-trump-border-wall

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network

Says the guy who's country is currently being overrun by economic migrants from every 3rd world nation in the Mideast and northern Africa.

Edit:  For the record, while "the wall" is a good idea in theory, in reality I'm not in favor of it because I know it's going to end up costing way more than estimated (as most government run projects do, especially in the construction biz), and our resources are much better spent on increasing the border patrol and enforcing existing immigration laws.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Also I like how the major of Berlin equates the US building a wall along the Mexico border to "the continuing division of the Korean Peninsula", as if it's merely just a borders issue or something and not the fact that half of Korea is literally batshit insane and run by one of the worst dictatorships on the planet today.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Why is this in Gaming Discussion?

Profrektius said:
Why is this in Gaming Discussion?

Moved to Politics

Around the Network

Tbh building a wall doesnt create isolation. If someone want to come to the US take a plane.

The circumstances under which each wall was/is being built is kind of different. That being said, all you're doing by building a 55 foot tall wall, is making a new market for 55+ ft. ladders. It's quite the waste of American funding. No matter what Trump says, America is going to pay something to build that damn thing.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
NightDragon83 said:

Says the guy who's country is currently being overrun by economic migrants from every 3rd world nation in the Mideast and northern Africa.

Edit:  For the record, while "the wall" is a good idea in theory, in reality I'm not in favor of it because I know it's going to end up costing way more than estimated (as most government run projects do, especially in the construction biz), and our resources are much better spent on increasing the border patrol and enforcing existing immigration laws.

It is ?

It works for Israel :)

As an aside, any deterrent to narcotics cartels is a big plus in my book. Better if they can get the assets of the cartels to pay for the wall, too.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

NightDragon83 said:

And if you look at the Einzelfall map from 2016, there was a lot of migrant crime in Berlin and it didn't matter where in the city. Crime would happen in both the poor and rich areas.

I also agree on your stance on the wall. Constructing the wall will be very costly and will not be effective. There are actually tunnels that cross the border and a wall isn't going to fix that problem.

Honestly I don't think a wall is the best idea but it has good intentions behind it.
I mean shit I live on a fucking island and even I'm sick of the illegal immigration problems here, can't imagine how much worse it is in the US or Europe.