By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry: Scorpio Spec leak - "might suggest console isn't the "true" 4k console as MS claimed"

So basically:

PS4Pro: You need to be 6 inches away from the screen to see it's not 4K
Scorpio: You need to be 3 inches away from the screen to see it's not 4K

And just like the PS4Pro, the Scorpio will have some native 4K games.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

without Zen and with a smaller but higher clocked gpu the scorpio might hit $450 at release, but it also means the machine is quite a bit less capable

I really wonder how many of the games are memory bandwith/size or gpu  limited as opposed to cpu limited on PS4Pro, as those are the titles that may perform better on the Scorpio (if DF is right about it using the Jaguar).

JRPGfan said:

They are going to use special techniques like sony does to reach that 4k tag their aiming for.

Correct.

JRPGfan said:

Sparce rendering (this is like Sony's checkerboarding, expect instead of being 1800p due to this technique, they are aiming for 2160p).

Thus this is likely not a Sony invention, but an AMD one.

JRPGfan said:

Half rendering (the native buffer is 4k, all the other parts run lower resolutions, shadows, ambient occlusion, light, ect ect effects where thats possible).

This has been done for years. Especially last generation where the game is natively run at a certain resolution with things like light shafts rendered at a lower resolution.

JRPGfan said:

"this might suggest that the scorpio isnt the "true" 4k console, that microsoft marketed it as" - digital foundry.

Well. If the PC can't do it.......................

Random_Matt said:
Jag cores, lol.

I can safely say that I called it before Digital Foundry. ;)

On the bright side, more games should run at a higher resolution and/or framerate more often than the Playstation even if all else remains identical.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Bandorr said:

As to your comment in the other thread - kind of. Some times I can get to the front page with no problems. Then other times it would just load forever.

When it has trouble loading forever I just switch between hot topics and my topics. It makes it "less" obvious what is out there imo - but it works.

Yeah, I just found that out. Ironically -- and always the case with sods law -- I can now access the main page again. Typical.

The PS5 Exists. 

Well I've changed the title to incorporate what is probably the biggest line of the article

If true, sounds like a lot of people may be disappointed

Around the Network

Also, I wouldn't say anything till we get information at E3. We don't know if this is confirmed, especially with terms like "might".

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

But... Dem uncompressed pixelz :(

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Soo what are the games? Ya know what truly Matters

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Captain_Yuri said:
But... Dem uncompressed pixelz :(

A) So what happened to "True 4K Gaming"?

B) It got Checkerboarded.

Scorpio is going to be a slightly better PS4pro, but basically do the same.

It ll probably be slightly more expensive however, and a year late.

If DF is right, the differnce (between ps4pro & scorpio) wont be nearly as big as many xbox fans are expecting.

The leak isn't what suggest that the Scorpio isn't a true 4k console. A functioning brain already did that since the reveal.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.