By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry: Scorpio Spec leak - "might suggest console isn't the "true" 4k console as MS claimed"

Barkley said:
Snoopy said:

So 2 more tflops and  better cpu (which base ps4 doesn't have over xbox one) and probably more ram. Xbox one will be able to do 4k just fine outside of resource heavy engines like the frost engine.

The difference is larger, mainly due to the ram, in terms of Flops the difference is almost proportionally identical. In practical use I imagine it'll be fairly similair to what we've been used to between XBO and PS4.

Just swap the sides and the 900p vs 1080p threads to 1440p vs 1800p threads.

I was expecting a $499 machine that really pushed the boat out on Power in a console. But now I expect something more inline with the Pro. Hell some people expected this machine to be "next-gen".

You will get better performance and fidelity on the Scorpio but just like the PS4 and XBO the difference won't be dramatic.

We got 900p vs 1080p with .5 tflop difference. This is going to be 2 tflop difference in gpu. Not to mention a moderatly better cpu going by reports and probably better ram. Xbox scorpio should be able to hit native 4k just not on heavy resource engine like the frost bite engine. 1st party games are more than likely 4k and I can tell you right now gears 4/quantum break looks better than 95% of games out there. I can only think of games like Uncharted 4, BF One (because it's huge), Horizon zero dawn (assuming it's legit) and SWBF that is on par or looks better in my honest opinion.

Around the Network
Snoopy said:
Barkley said:

The difference is larger, mainly due to the ram, in terms of Flops the difference is almost proportionally identical. In practical use I imagine it'll be fairly similair to what we've been used to between XBO and PS4.

Just swap the sides and the 900p vs 1080p threads to 1440p vs 1800p threads.

I was expecting a $499 machine that really pushed the boat out on Power in a console. But now I expect something more inline with the Pro. Hell some people expected this machine to be "next-gen".

You will get better performance and fidelity on the Scorpio but just like the PS4 and XBO the difference won't be dramatic.

We got 900p vs 1080p with .5 tflop difference. This is going to be 2 tflop difference in gpu. Not to mention a moderatly better cpu going by reports and probably better ram. Xbox scorpio should be able to hit native 4k just not on heavy resource engine like the frost bite engine. 1st party games are more than likely 4k and I can tell you right now gears 4/quantum break looks better than 95% of games out there.

Definently. Scorpio will have higher resolution games and more 4k games, but you really need 8Tflops before you can really start pushing 4k. the RX480 is around 6Tflops, and while it can do 4k 30FPS in many games, its definently better suited towards 1440p.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:
Snoopy said:

We got 900p vs 1080p with .5 tflop difference. This is going to be 2 tflop difference in gpu. Not to mention a moderatly better cpu going by reports and probably better ram. Xbox scorpio should be able to hit native 4k just not on heavy resource engine like the frost bite engine. 1st party games are more than likely 4k and I can tell you right now gears 4/quantum break looks better than 95% of games out there.

Definently. Scorpio will have higher resolution games and more 4k games, but you really need 8Tflops before you can really start pushing 4k. the RX480 is around 6Tflops, and while it can do 4k 30FPS in many games, its definently better suited towards 1440p.

It will be 1440p if they push textures instead of resolution. Which for certain games, I'll be okay with. Or maybe they let us choose our settings kind of like pc gamers.

Snoopy said:

We got 900p vs 1080p with .5 tflop difference. This is going to be 2 tflop difference in gpu.

Try using proportions, it's better then numerics as the difference between a 4.2TF and a 6TF GPU isn't as big as the difference between a 0.1TF and a 1.9TF GPU for example.

XBO - 1.31TF :  PS4 - 1.84TF      Difference: 40.4%

Pro - 4.2TF     :  Scorpio - 6TF     Difference: 42.8%

Barkley said:
Snoopy said:

We got 900p vs 1080p with .5 tflop difference. This is going to be 2 tflop difference in gpu.

Try using proportions, it's better then numerics as the difference between a 4.2TF and a 6TF GPU isn't as big as the difference between a 0.1TF and a 1.9TF GPU for example.

Still a big difference. If the Pro can do 1800p checkerboarding, the Scorpio can definently do 4k in some form.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:
Barkley said:

Still a big difference. If the Pro can do 1800p checkerboarding, the Scorpio can definently do 4k in some form.

Yeah sure, I expect this years Forza will be Native 4k. Even Pro has some Native 4k games and Scorpio will definitely manage that with some titles that are a little more ambitious.

MCC could be patched to have Native 4k too, that'd be nice.

Barkley said:
barneystinson69 said:

Yeah sure, I expect this years Forza will be Native 4k. Even Pro has some Native 4k games and Scorpio will definitely manage that with some titles that are a little more ambitious.

Of course. Though I have a 720p TV and a 1080p monitor, so I won't see the difference . #Stillin2007

Barkley said:
Snoopy said:

Percentage isn't very telling in this situation. For example, the difference between 1mm and 2mm is twice as much, but to us there is hardly a difference because its a mm. However, the difference between 1 mile and 2 mile is huge to us, despite being the same percentage difference between 1mm and 2mm. 2flops difference between xbox scorpio and ps4 pro vs .5 tflop difference between ps4 and xbox one.

Snoopy said:
Barkley said:

Percentage isn't very telling in this situation. For example, the difference between 1mm and 2mm is twice as much, but to us there is hardly a difference because its a mm. However, the difference between 1 mile and 2 mile is huge to us, despite being the same percentage difference between 1mm and 2mm. 

That analogy doesn't really work due to diminishing returns in games. The larger the numerical value we go in power the less noticeable an increase is. Whereas the larger you go in distance, well a mile is a mile. You're not looking at a screen counting pixels, it doesn't really get any more difficult to percieve.

PS1 was out for 5 years before PS2 (1995 to 2000).
PS2 was out for 6 years before PS3 (2000 to 2006).
PS3 was out for 7 years before PS4 (2006 to 2013).
PS4 would be out for 5 years in 2018.

What are the odds that Sony would counter with a PS5 in 2018?

Also, Scorpio cannot come out soon enough. I've been holding out getting an XBox, but I'm almost at a point where I feel like I may as well keep waiting for next gen.