By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch outsell the PS4 in Japan? And what effect would this have?

Will the Switch outsell the PS4 in Japan?

In Japan, Yes! 357 78.46%

In Japan, No! 98 21.54%

Total:455

The Switch seems to have the strength to sell as well as (or possibly better than) the Wii, in Japan. With the Wii having sales of 12+ million, that'd be a little less than half of the 3DS's sales.

Around the Network

Vita will die quickly in japan. Switch is the "new shiny" thing to have. The whole concept was tailor made for the Japanese audience from which is known that fewer people even own a TV... .

As the Switch is even easier to develop for than the Wii/Wii U and 3DS – thats also good news for the domestic developers there...

AlfredoTurkey said:
SegataSanshiro said:
VERY easily. Japan heavily favors portables over consoles. Vita is doing well in Japan but now that is dead thanks to Switch.

Switch is a portable... console. So when/if it takes off and dominates, consoles will be selling in Japan again. 

Semantics.

KLXVER said:
The bad thing is that games might only be released in Japan if the Switch only does well there.

I fucking hate when they do that. At least theres no region locking this time... then again I don't speak/read Japanese.

I'm late to the party, but this def has the chance to sell more than the PS4 in Japan. What it'll cause as a result, possibly more Japanese 3rd party support for the system, or just the 3DS support switching over to the console. Hopefully we get a fair share of those games

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Switch is a portable... console. So when/if it takes off and dominates, consoles will be selling in Japan again. 

Semantics.

Well, I guess. But Nintendo said it's not a handheld and they're the ones who invented the thing.

AlfredoTurkey said:
SegataSanshiro said:

Semantics.

Well, I guess. But Nintendo said it's not a handheld and they're the ones who invented the thing.

It is a handheld. It's just a new kind of handheld. 

If you hold it in your hand, it has its own LCD display, and battery and can be played anywhere, anytime you feel like it .... that's a handheld device. Nintendo can call it a whale if they want. 

Soundwave said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

It is a handheld. It's just a new kind of handheld. 

If you hold it in your hand, it has its own LCD display, and battery and can be played anywhere, anytime you feel like it .... that's a handheld device. Nintendo can call it a whale if they want. 

And if you lay it in the dock, grab the pro controller and sit on your couch, it's absolutely no different than a home console. 

Pyro as Bill said:
Mummelmann said:

TLDR: It's just way too early to call 100 million lifetime sales for Switch and such a belief has no basis in available data, or any grounds in the current outlooks and movements of the market. Those who say "yeah, well, the Switch is something new and different so you can't predict based on past trends!" are also shooting themselves in the foot since that would indicate that they have just as little sense as to what's going to happen on the market as everyone who opposes these ideas and views (since no proper data exists that would extract any meaningful conclusions).

As far as CoD, FIFA, Minecraft, GTA online(possibly) go it's the closest thing to a portable PS4/PS3/X360/XB1/PC.

Nintendo handhelds can do ~70M minimum.

HH/home libraries are combined and any doubles become DLC/new IPs ie Mario Kart home + Mario Kart portable become a single Mario Kart and a new IP or DLC. For Nintendo IPs we now get the HQ version.

There's a good possibility we'll see the return of motion controlled sports/fitness games and this time they'll be portable. Ignore the 'Wii Fit cazualz now play Candy Crush instead' myth.

Would 3DS have sold better if it had TV-out, better graphics, a mainline Zelda, local multiplayer CoD, FIFA, Minecraft and a respectable sequel to Wii Sports/Fit?

Add the fact that it's Nintendo. They can suprise everyone and pull a megahit out of nowhere.

And how big exactly is the portable market for CoD, FIFA and GTA? What little data we have suggests it's beyond tiny, and then there's the added risk that developers will simply pull these franchises away from the platform if and when their software sales tank and the added cost of adapting a Switch version isn't deemed worth it. Minecraft is big, true, but the sales are divided anywhere from 19% (Asia) to 41% for consoles (North America) and that includes all platforms. Meanwhile, the game isn't even available on 3DS and has sold about 2.5 million on Vita, so out of about 123 million sales, 2.5 million are on handheld... That's not a massive market by any means so it's a completely irrelevant argument.

"Nintendo handhelds can do ~70M minimum" As the 7th and 8th should have taught us by now, the gaming market doesn't follow out silly "rules" such as this one. It may have been close to accurate when mobile was not a factor, but this is just yet another "the same console manufacturer always wins two generations in a row", "the most powerful console never wins", "high hardware sales equal great 3rd party support", "the market leader never releases their next console first" or any number of similar, nonsensical rules we've made up over the year, all of which have been shamed one by one. There's also the added fact that dedicated handheld platforms have suffered a historically massive decline following a similarly massive increase with PSP and DS, handheld consoles are less important that they have been since the early 2000's or perhaps far back into the 90's (which is extremely telling) and the trend was only partly battled by releasing, in practice, one new revision every single year and seriously slashing prices. Again, this is a non-argument.

As far as combining libraries; the same first party franchises were available on 3DS and Wii U that you could get on Wii and DS, and yet the former pair managed a fraction of the software sales and will end up below or around 1/3 of the combined hardware installed base. So combining two into one won't automatically improve sales beyond this, there's no logic in that, especially seeing the price tag which makes the Switch a very expensive handheld, alternately a home console priced similar to the competition but with much less power and developer support. Yet another poor argument in the big picture. Not to mention dual-ownership, which is quite common.

Motion controlled fitness games making a comeback? Why on earth would that happen? Or do you see people buying full-priced motion controlled games for Switch to use in some form of bulky handheld mode when there are completely free apps with features the Switch can't offer due to the lack of functions such as cameras, 4G connections and GPS? That's beyond ridiculous, fitness games are the least likely to succeed of any concept on any console today. Oh, and your myth about Wii Fit gamers playing Candy Crush is not only one that's never been uttered by me or anyone else; it's also completely backwards, these people are using cheap or free mobile fitness apps... Obviously. This is just yet another sign that you see the market with wishing goggles rather than a critically thinking set of trained eyes.

Would the 3DS have sold better? No idea, it would certainly have cost a lot more, and it barely moved at its original launch price, so there is that. It's all hypothetic hindsight though, and is, unsurprisingly, yet again a useless argument in this context (but a fairly interesting idea). Having the bigger franchises on a handheld doesn't mean all that much either, the Vita had a lot of these big titles and it still sold like something close to the opposite of its hilarious name.

Look; I'm not saying that I have to be right, but it strikes me that most of the arguments for a huge, Wii-like success for the Switch is based on flimsy grounds and made up "rules", a lot of suppositions and wishes and desires rather than a cold, hard look at market realities. There is no logical grounds for thinking 100 million hardware sales by what we've seen or know, there just isn't. And mega hits don't just "come out of nowhere", they are a result of riding trends, striking broad and solvent audiences and offering a somewhat lasting appeal. There's a huge chasm between "I want this to happen" and "This is likely to happen due to market circumstances and current and impending movements", as of today, March 21st 2017, there is very little basis for the latter but there's a whole lot of the former going on. A lof of people in here seem hell bent on "revenge" for the poor Wii U sales and the massive decline between the DS and 3DS, and that's probably a lot of the reasoning behind these immense predictions, there are very few other explanations for it.

As things stand right now, there is no doubt that Switch will outsell PS4 lifetime in Japan. How much is up to both companies though.

If Nintendo brings out a Switch Mini and a Switch Phone, and Sony's does nothing, it could end up with Switch 50+ Million to PS4 15 Million.

However, on the flip side, if Sony decides to make a PS4 Handheld and a PS4 Phone, then it could totally flip the script. With a PS4 Mobile line, Sony could end up selling 50+ Million PS4's, while I still think Switch would reach ~20 Million.

If they both go all out, I could see both companies pulling in 50+ Million consumers in Japan alone, and massive numbers in around the world, bringing them into serious competition with Google, Apple, and Microsoft in the future of the Mobile industry.

Right now, I think Sony and Nintendo have oppertunity bursting at the seams. It just comes down to how serious they want to get. Do they want to make massive profits, and potentially play a leading role in the future of home and mobile computing, or is the Japanese tech industry ready to lay down and hand everything over to Google, Apple, and Microsoft? I think the next 3 - 5 years will be very telling about how things play out in Japan and around the world. Whatever these two companies plan to do in Japan will have a rippling effect across the rest of the world.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL