By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch preorders go live in Japan - and are gone in minutes

I'm telling ya people, this thing is gonna be huge. I mean, not quite Wii huge but definitely a solid success story for Nintendo and a huge bonuceback from the Wii U disaster. The value as a console portable hybrid + the strength of the library thus far alone (launching w/ one of the best looking Zelda titles yet) almost ensures at least decent sales.

Also, being released in March, it'll have the benefit of having both the sales wave at launch, as well as another sales boom during the holiday season in the same year.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network
Super_Boom said:
Aerys said:

Shouldnt bé so quick to judge sir ;) http://i.4cdn.org/v/1484965306729.jpg

Rendez vous un 4-5 months After thé expected succesful launch just as WiiU before you can see thé real sales .

That will bé à thread to bump

I can't read your 4chan post...are you giving me more anecdotal evidence? Or is this actual solid information this time?

I'm fully expecting Switch sales to fall after launch hype dies down, and I'm also fully expecting kneejerk reactions on both sides, so I'm not sure what your point is. What I'm really interested in seeing is how the system levels out after the games that sold the 3DS start releasing. 

The Switch might do well, or not, but what I do know is that anecotal evidence really is hardly solid evidence at this point. Especially given that said evidence is so easily contradicted.

Its à pic about WiiU launch with exactly thé same " sold out pré ordre" " lines to pré order" , this is anecdotal évidence  à sucessful launch among a  console life as showed WiiU.

Because you were talking as if a succesful launch would prove i was wrong .

As I explained in m'y analysis on an other page, its unlikely that this Switch will do much more than will bé a succesful handheld console, i éven have high Doubts itd reach thé average sales of à home console, based on everything WE know

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Hiku said:
KLXVER said:
lol The downplaying in this thread is funny.

When you have comments suggesting that those skeptical about Switch's long term sales weren't expecting it to sell out initially, like:

"How is that possible?
Isn't Switch the most disastrous, out of touch thing Nintendo ever made?
I thought more than 80% of the japanese gaming population were mocking the Switch? "

"Someone told me, that Japanese gamers hate the Switch because of his friend who read it on forum, nothing hated like that would sell out. (Look above)"

then I'm not surprised people remind them that that isn't the case.

When people act like this comes as a surprise to people in a condecending way it only invites for negative comments that otherwise could have been avoided.

You know I was doing it a mocking tone on purpose right! (I was literally pointing out the absurd beheaviour of that user above me, since he says that statement in every thread).

GIven I think that might the point you trying to make. However if no one comments on the negative nature of others, with any means, that person just continues getting away with it, without being called out on his absurd nature. 

it is expected, hope that the next few batches would be sold out as well.

The problem is, Nintendo fans are a limited audience, selling out at launch is nothing new for any device, hell it could break records the first week and still sell terribly in its lifetime.
GameCube sold poorly, Wii sold extremely well on the back of the motion control craze, immediately after the success of the Wii, we got the WiiU which is looking like it won't break 15m lifetime.
Before the GameCube we had the N64 which while popular didn't sell terribly well either.

Handheld has dropped significantly in popularity with the 3DS launching in a period where almost everyone has a smartphone and aside from the bumps brought about by releasing new hardware models of the same device, thus artificially bumping the platform totals as the core fanbase go out and re-buy newer models, ultimately you're looking roughly at a Nintendo fanbase of around 25-35m worldwide as of the Wii era, and I think that number itself will likely have dropped somewhat over the last 5 years, too.

This is evident by simply reflecting upon your own purchases, i rarely meet a 3DS owner who does not have more than one 3DS, it's actually a lot more common for me to encounter people who own more than two than it is less than two, which goes a long way to illustrate the replication in sales for the handheld platforms, something Nintendo is fully aware of and has systematically taken advantage of over the years with multiple generation releases of the same platform, GB , GBC, GB lite then GBA, GBASP, GBmicro then DS, DS lite, DSi, DS lite xl, DSi xl, then 3DS, 3DS xl, n3ds, n3dsxl, etc.

Whether or not they can do the same with the switch remains to be seen but in my opinion as long as the 3DS remains on the market, the switch will be seen as just a home console and not a portable, and that is what is going to restrict its lifetime sales.

Those thinking the switch will hit 50m+ sales are mistaken, especially if Nintendo are too reluctant to take the switch's direct competitor (3DS) off the market within the next year or so.

Around the Network
NATO said:

The problem is, Nintendo fans are a limited audience, selling out at launch is nothing new for any device, hell it could break records the first week and still sell terribly in its lifetime.
GameCube sold poorly, Wii sold extremely well on the back of the motion control craze, immediately after the success of the Wii, we got the WiiU which is looking like it won't break 15m lifetime.
Before the GameCube we had the N64 which while popular didn't sell terribly well either.

Handheld has dropped significantly in popularity with the 3DS launching in a period where almost everyone has a smartphone and aside from the bumps brought about by releasing new hardware models of the same device, thus artificially bumping the platform totals as the core fanbase go out and re-buy newer models, ultimately you're looking roughly at a Nintendo fanbase of around 25-35m worldwide as of the Wii era, and I think that number itself will likely have dropped somewhat over the last 5 years, too.

This is evident by simply reflecting upon your own purchases, i rarely meet a 3DS owner who does not have more than one 3DS, it's actually a lot more common for me to encounter people who own more than two than it is less than two, which goes a long way to illustrate the replication in sales for the handheld platforms, something Nintendo is fully aware of and has systematically taken advantage of over the years with multiple generation releases of the same platform, GB , GBC, GB lite then GBA, GBASP, GBmicro then DS, DS lite, DSi, DS lite xl, DSi xl, then 3DS, 3DS xl, n3ds, n3dsxl, etc.

Whether or not they can do the same with the switch remains to be seen but in my opinion as long as the 3DS remains on the market, the switch will be seen as just a home console and not a portable, and that is what is going to restrict its lifetime sales.

Those thinking the switch will hit 50m+ sales are mistaken, especially if Nintendo are too reluctant to take the switch's direct competitor (3DS) off the market within the next year or so.

Exactly, finally someone who understands, Japanese will see more Switch as home console, especially when you know it has à paid online, no handheld consoles ever had à paid online, its à first that wont help Switch sales

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Super_Boom said:
Aerys said:

Shouldnt bé so quick to judge sir ;) http://i.4cdn.org/v/1484965306729.jpg

Rendez vous un 4-5 months After thé expected succesful launch just as WiiU before you can see thé real sales .

That will bé à thread to bump

I can't read your 4chan post...are you giving me more anecdotal evidence? Or is this actual solid information this time?

I'm fully expecting Switch sales to fall after launch hype dies down, and I'm also fully expecting kneejerk reactions on both sides, so I'm not sure what your point is. What I'm really interested in seeing is how the system levels out after the games that sold the 3DS start releasing. 

The Switch might do well, or not, but what I do know is that anecotal evidence really is hardly solid evidence at this point. Especially given that said evidence is so easily contradicted.

Maybe what it means is not to over hype, we should carefully observe , judging by it's common mistake people always do in this forums. Early sales is nothing, either it can do good or bad.  Either way i am sure launhing sales are 90% are scalper and the rest are die hard fans. With that very small launh title is easly to argue only few people are interested. Let just hope they maintain the sales, at least better then the Wii U. 

Judging from COMG update today..... Zelda seems to be the No.1 pick in the launch game...... not surprised! I think Splatoon 2 will be interesting to watch on how much hardware it will sell.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Preorders only opened recently in Japan? A bit surprising, but not surprising with it selling out

Hopefully the momentum will carry through to the end of the year

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Platina said:
Preorders only opened recently in Japan? A bit surprising, but not surprising with it selling out

Hopefully the momentum will carry through to the end of the year

This is Japan we are talking about, the Switch could probably surive on Japan's sales alone. It's like it was made for their market. Nintendo made a smart move with that as console gaming has been hitting a new low there.