By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch preorders go live in Japan - and are gone in minutes

Wyrdness said:
Faelco said:

Yeah, they surely already have millions of additional stock... You don't know anything about stockage costs and the fact that you never produce a lot more than what you expect to sell, do you? 

But hey, who am I to talk about it. You're right, I surely don't know how a forecast and a production plan work... I'm only a production and logistics engineer after all! 

They expect to sell a lot more than 2m if you think they don't expect to than you're kidding yourself I know how financial reports are handled as I work with them frequently.

There is a huge difference between "they lied about their expectations" and "they will produce more quickly if it's sold out, or stocked a lot more just in case". I'm OK with the former, the later is irrealistic. 

Around the Network
Faelco said:
Kai_Mao said:
One person noted this on Twitter:

Take that for what you will.

That would be consistent with what we know. The people the most interested in the Switch are the usual Nintendo fans. Nintendo fans are not kids anymore, it's the people who grew up with Nintendo and are now in their 20s or 30s. Nintendo needs to interest a new demographic, especially kids, but they're having trouble with it. 

tbh that is the demographic you would expect to buy any console at launch really not just because it's the usual Nintendo fans.

Faelco said:

There is a huge difference between "they lied about their expectations" and "they will produce more quickly if it's sold out, or stocked a lot more just in case". I'm OK with the former, the later is irrealistic. 

Know how things work with reports before you throw words like lie around, they're not lying as they're still going to ship 2m, they told investors one of a few expectations they have. All companies have several speculated outcomes which they choose one to tell investors for the report, some tell them the higher range while others keep things safe and tell them the lower range in expectations.

2m is clearly the lower range which gives them breathing room if that's all they sell or if they exceed demand because then the next report in April is going to look more positive, this is also a device that was planned for a Q4 2016 release for that 2m mind you it's only launching in March because some of the games weren't running properly and they wanted a more consistent release schedule from launch.

Man, that's just insane. Ninten really needs to make more stock of the Switch then.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Nintendo cannot afford a hardware drought in Japan. It's vital for them to create a big japanese installbase to catter all of the japanese devs out there. And if they make games for them, localization is just a matter of time.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
Rocketjay8 said:

Hyrule Warriors Legends is ass on the 3ds. So why would Fire Emblem Warriors be bought on the 3ds over switch? 

Kind of out of the subject, but I think that is simple:Install base.And this is a second party game, being developed by Koei.Probably Koei wanted an assurance that their game sold a decent number of copies, and thus they made the 3DS version.But its all especulation.

Agree.  Also, they already have the engine in place after Fire Emblem Warriors so they were probably thinking "why the hell not?".

Happens with every new console. Unless that console is an Xbox (talking about Japan here only). 

Soundwave said:

2 million world wide is like 660,000 per major market ... that should sell out easily, that's not a lot of stock and in Japan with it being a more portable centric market this was a bit of a no brainer. What sales are like say come May will be more telling.

If "Splatoon 2" hits in May I believe that the Switch will maintain momentum in its homeland for good. If Nintendo plays their cards right (big if), their should be 6-8 million NSs in the wild by the time "Mario Odyssey" hits. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Aerys said:

Shouldnt bé so quick to judge sir ;) http://i.4cdn.org/v/1484965306729.jpg

Rendez vous un 4-5 months After thé expected succesful launch just as WiiU before you can see thé real sales .

That will bé à thread to bump

I can't read your 4chan post...are you giving me more anecdotal evidence? Or is this actual solid information this time?

I'm fully expecting Switch sales to fall after launch hype dies down, and I'm also fully expecting kneejerk reactions on both sides, so I'm not sure what your point is. What I'm really interested in seeing is how the system levels out after the games that sold the 3DS start releasing. 

The Switch might do well, or not, but what I do know is that anecotal evidence really is hardly solid evidence at this point. Especially given that said evidence is so easily contradicted.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

StuOhQ said:
Soundwave said:

2 million world wide is like 660,000 per major market ... that should sell out easily, that's not a lot of stock and in Japan with it being a more portable centric market this was a bit of a no brainer. What sales are like say come May will be more telling.

If "Splatoon 2" hits in May I believe that the Switch will maintain momentum in its homeland for good. If Nintendo plays their cards right (big if), their should be 6-8 million NSs in the wild by the time "Mario Odyssey" hits. 

Late April/early May to me is when Nintendo is going to release ARMS with Splatoon coming at the tail end of Summer in August.  What I'm most worried about is June and July because so far, it seems like a blank slate in terms of game releases.  I'm hoping that Nintendo uses those months to release a couple of significant Wii U ports like Mario Maker, Xenoblade X and Bayonetta 2 while leaving an updated Smash 4 port for October/November as a 1-2 punch with Mario Odyssey.