By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DFC Intelligence Believes Nintendo Switch Can Shift 40 Million Units by 2020

Slownenberg said:
Oh wow. It's hilarious to read the predictions at the start of 2017. People even saying 40 million lifetime wasn't going to happen. Damn. Some people thought Switch was somehow even gonna lose the 3DS audience?? And not gain anybody else? People were extremely pessimistic about the Switch! I guess they saw it more as a Wii U replacement than a joint 3DS and Wii U replacement.

At the time Nintendo was very much treating it as just a Wii U replacement, describing it in their PR as their "next home console" and still bringing major games to 3DS, so it wasn't clear at the time that this was the 3DS successor and I think even Nintendo may have been wanting to keep 3DS as a backup in case Switch flopped.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Mbolibombo said:

Which was really weird at the time and even weirder now, how does one look at the games showcased and saying it is DOA? It was helluva lineup.

Yeah, it surprised me a lot back then that people had such a negative impression of it, and it's just funny looking back at it now. But I definitely wasn't expecting this level of success, not even close.

M neither, but really - No one was expecting it. Not Nintendo, and definitely not third parties :P No matter, the gaming industry is better off when Nintendo is succesful so all things good.

IcaroRibeiro said:
ironmanDX said:
If they release a Switch mini, say... Christmas 2018... that is essentially a dedicated handheld and a true replacement for the 3DS, yet still sharing the exact games library.

Easily. It'll happen too. You read it here first.

It was Christmas 2019, but spot on, nice

Christmas was in September last year ? :o

Conina said:

They could do that, but I would prefer if they just ditch the option of detachable joycons for the handheld version... perhaps even ditch the rumble feature for the handheld version to save some money and space. Very few Switch games will have mandatory motion controls (even ARMS can be played with sticks and buttons).

So instead of the main device with a big battery and 2 controllers with their own small batteries and rumble tech, they could add the controls to the main device with ONE battery with a capacity as high as possible. Also smaller bezels around the display:

Are you a witch?

noname2200 said:
Conina said:

They could do that, but I would prefer if they just ditch the option of detachable joycons for the handheld version... perhaps even ditch the rumble feature for the handheld version to save some money and space. Very few Switch games will have mandatory motion controls (even ARMS can be played with sticks and buttons).

So instead of the main device with a big battery and 2 controllers with their own small batteries and rumble tech, they could add the controls to the main device with ONE battery with a capacity as high as possible. Also smaller bezels around the display:

Are you a witch?

Wow, this is freakily accurate considering it was posted in January 2017. That's one hell of a crystal ball.

Around the Network

This reminds me of an even older thread where I said the Wii U was gonna sell around 40 million somehow...lol

Crow delivery!

I think people are overreacting. Nintendo is doing really good this year! They could easily reach this number of 4 million shipped Switches worldwide by the end of this year.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.