By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Same Old Nintendo - KindaFunnyGames

potato_hamster said:
bdbdbd said:

Nothing, I know there will not be a "full" online solution at launch.

It was you who compared Switch launching with "Wii U level" online solution, or that's what I'm expecting, to competitors launching without ANY online functions. 

But what makes you think it's even going to have a "Wii U level" online solution at launch. For all we know it doesn't have *any* online solution at launch.

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

Please, stop.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
bdbdbd said:

Nothing, I know there will not be a "full" online solution at launch.

It was you who compared Switch launching with "Wii U level" online solution, or that's what I'm expecting, to competitors launching without ANY online functions. 

But what makes you think it's even going to have a "Wii U level" online solution at launch. For all we know it doesn't have *any* online solution at launch.

maybe just do a little bit of research before spouting nonsense, it was confirmed at the presentation that Switch will have online day one and the full, paid service will be available in the fall.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I really like GoNintendo's rebuttal to this. Analytical and tries to look at things objective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy7JjTRZw7g

Hynad said:
potato_hamster said:

Please, stop.

Stop what exactly? Where does it say it will be available at launch? It says "Free Trial Starts in March". The Switch launches on the 3rd. That pretty much gives them 4 weeks after the launch of the console. It says nothing to indicate it will be available at launch.

As for you Zorg, here's the official quote:

"Users will be able to try out Nintendo Switch online services for free during a trial period after launch. Then it will become a paid service beginning in the fall of 2017. We will provide additional details on this paid service and its features on our home page at a later date." (emphasis mine)

Does that say "at launch"? No? So again, we don't actually know if Online play will be available when this console releases, or if it will be available in the weeks that follow. Sorry, I'm not going to assume "March" means "launch day" like you are.

potato_hamster said:
Hynad said:

Please, stop.

Stop what exactly? Where does it say it will be available at launch? It says "Free Trial Starts in March". The Switch launches on the 3rd. That pretty much gives them 4 weeks after the launch of the console. It says nothing to indicate it will be available at launch.

"Users will be able to try out Nintendo Switch online services for free during a trial period after launch. Then it will become a paid service beginning in the fall of 2017. We will provide additional details on this paid service and its features on our home page at a later date." (emphasis mine)

Does that say "at launch"? No? So again, we don't actually know if Online play will be available when this console releases, or if it will be available in the weeks that follow. Sorry, I'm not going to assume "March" means "launch day" like you are.

That's kind of stretching the argument. Kind of like saying the online isn't avaible at launch, but only after you buy the system, take it home and connect online. I only took yours further. 

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
potato_hamster said:

That's kind of stretching the argument. Kind of like saying the online isn't avaible at launch, but only after you buy the system, take it home and connect online. I only took yours further. 

How is it stretching it? Just tell me this. Can you say with 100% certainty at this point that people are going to buy their Nintendo Switches online on March 3rd, take their console home, hook it up, and play a game with their friend three states over?

Because I can't say that. In fact I'd reckon most of your certainty comes from your believing it's unfathomable for Nintendo to launch a console in 2017 without any semblance of online play from day one. I  personally don't trust Nintendo that much.

potato_hamster said:
bdbdbd said:

How is it stretching it? Just tell me this. Can you say with 100% certainty at this point that people are going to buy their Nintendo Switches online on March 3rd, take their console home, hook it up, and play a game with their friend three states over?

Because I can't say that. In fact I'd reckon most of your certainty comes from your believing it's unfathomable for Nintendo to launch a console in 2017 without any semblance of online play from day one. I  personally don't trust Nintendo that much.

Have you shown yourself to be positive about anything regarding the Switch? 

Why do you doubt that there will be any online functionality ready for launch in the first place? Wasn't there online functionality from day one for the Wii U? Why would that be different here, when even their website states that it will be available in March, the Switch' launch month?

Hynad said:
potato_hamster said:

Why do you doubt that there will be any online functionality ready for launch in the first place? Wasn't there online functionality from day one for the Wii U? Why would that be different here, when even their website states that it will be available in March, the Switch' launch month?

Why do I doubt that there will be any online functionality? Because it's Nintendo. This is the same company that has sold and continues to sell Nintendo 3DSs without a power cord in the box. This is the same company that made a console that was so expensive to produce that it only recieved one price cut in its five years on the market. This would a very Nintendo thing to do, and should be a surprise to absolutely no one if the Switch launches without the ability to play with each other online.

potato_hamster said:
Hynad said:

Why do I doubt that there will be any online functionality? Because it's Nintendo. This is the same company that has sold and continues to sell Nintendo 3DSs without a power cord in the box. This is the same company that made a console that was so expensive to produce that it only recieved one price cut in its five years on the market. This would a very Nintendo thing to do, and should be a surprise to absolutely no one if the Switch launches without the ability to play with each other online.

You attitude speaks for itself, but I still wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt. 

Hynad said:
potato_hamster said:

You attitude speaks for itself, but I still wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt. 

Hey man, if you wanna keep giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt, that's your perogative, but you can't blame me or anyone else for not willing to give Nintendo that benefit of the doubt either. I don't think you're crazy or wrong for believing that Nintendo actually has its shit together, and this launch isn't rushed, and its console is ready. I know there's a lot of people that are incredibly excited about the Switch, and they have every reason to be. But there's a lot of people that are bummed out about the launch of the Switch and and have every reason to be. Colin is one of them, and so am I.

Do you want to know why I'm so friggin annoyed at how Nintendo is dropping the ball with the Switch? Because I recently became a father. Because I want my son to have fond memories playing video games in his childhood,. As someone who cut his teeth on the NES, the console that was directly responsible for setting the foundation that gave me a career in video games, I don't think any kid of mine should grow up without games like Mario or Zelda in his life, and I want to give that to him! But Nintendo is making that so fucking hard, because this thing sucks in so many ways for me. I was really hoping that Nintendo was going to make it easier on me, but hey, it's Nintendo.

Despite all of that, as of right now I actaully plan on picking a Switch up this fall. However that is highly contingent on how Nintendo answers these questions, and how smoothly this launch goes. Breath of the Wild looks fantastic, I've always wanted to give Splatoon a shot, and I'm really looking forward to playing a battle mode in Mario Kart that I spent hours and hours of my youth playing. Sure, I will never ever ever use a single joy con as a controller, and I cringe at the idea of spending $140 on two pro controllers, or $260 on two Switch joycon/charge block controller packs so me, my brother and my son can thrash each other in games. I cringe at the thought of having to spend $90 on a second dock so I don't have to unplug everything so my son can play the switch on the TV he uses. I cringe at the idea of having to spend $40-$70 (possibly more?) per year for online play that is probably going to be incredibly lackluster compared to my PS4 and Xbox One experiences. I cringe because my son doesn't have a smart phone, and i have no plan on giving him one in the next decade, but that means he can't play his switch with his friends online. And you know what? I actually cringe at the thought that this thing is portable because shit might get dropped or lost on a road trip or whatever, and as already noted, this shit is expensive.

And these are just the things I don't like that I know of. That's a heap of shit to overcome for me.