By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Same Old Nintendo - KindaFunnyGames

bdbdbd said:
potato_hamster said:

You're joking right? So being criticial of a company means he's being closed minded about them? Hilarious. He doesn't like some of the decisions they have made and continue make that indicate that they clearly haven't learned from their past mistakes. Just so we're clear, to be open minded about Nintendo to you is to blindly trust them to make choices consumers want despite their history.

Why should he give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt? Have you seen what they've been doing the past 15 years? Nintendo is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Last I checked, many people call that the "definition of insanity".  Do you even think it's acceptable that this console is coming out in less than six weeks and we don't know this information? Can you really fault someone for treating Nintendo's lack of transparency the same way people treated Microsoft suddenly no longer revealing Xbox One sales? Can you name a time when Nintendo's lack of transparency and vaguery about announced products actually lead to something ending up better than it sounded initally? Because I can't. It's far more realistic to not give them the benefit of the doubt. They have lost that privledge.

This whole debacle reminds me more and more of the Xbox One reveal three years ago, and we all know how that ended up.

As for me overestimating your Nintendo fandom - You're one of the 7 people on this planet that owns a Wii U. I haven't met a Wii U owner yet that wasn't a die hard fan.

Nintendo keeps actually doing different things all the time and expects to have the same results.

What information should we be knowing we don't know yet? 

Nintendo really doesn't do anything different than its competitors, it's just that Nintendo makes these features mandatory to use, while Sony and MS make them optional.

What information should we already know about the Switch?

- It's online plans should be laid out clearly and concisely. How much does it cost? What features does it have? How does it work? Will there be a free and a paid version of the app? Is the paid app the only means of match-making and voice chat? Are those free NES games actually free download, or just games with temporary monthly access?

- Virtual Console - does it have one? What platforms are going to be supported? Will Nintendo fans have to rebuy virtual console titles for the Switch? Will WIi and Wii U digital downloads bought for those platforms be playable on the Switch?

- What kind of apps will be available on switch, if any at all? Will people be able to watch youtube videos on the Switch? Is there a built in web browser?

- Is there any trophy/acheievement system? Sorry but "no comment" isn't good enough. They should have a definitive answer, even if it's not available at launch.

That's just off the top of my head.

Sorry, there is absolutely no reason to not have the answer to all of those questions right now. The launch is less than SIX WEEKS AWAY! People need to know the answers to these questions to be able to make an informed decision.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
bdbdbd said:

Nintendo keeps actually doing different things all the time and expects to have the same results.

What information should we be knowing we don't know yet? 

Nintendo really doesn't do anything different than its competitors, it's just that Nintendo makes these features mandatory to use, while Sony and MS make them optional.

- It's online plans should be laid out clearly and concisely. How much does it cost? What features does it have? How does it work? Will there be a free and a paid version of the app? Is the paid app the only means of match-making and voice chat? Are those free NES games actually free download, or just games with temporary monthly access?

- Virtual Console - does it have one? What platforms are going to be supported? Will Nintendo fans have to rebuy virtual console titles for the Switch? Will WIi and Wii U digital downloads bought for those platforms be playable on the Switch?

- What kind of apps will be available on switch, if any at all? Will people be able to watch youtube videos on the Switch? Is there a built in web browser?

- Is there any trophy/acheievement system? Sorry but "no comment" isn't good enough. They should have a definitive answer, even if it's not available at launch.

Sorry, there is absolutely no reason to not have the answer to all of those questions right now. The launch is less than SIX WEEKS AWAY! People need to know the answers to these questions to be able to make an informed decision.

Considering the paid online launches six months after Switch, I don't think there's not much to tell at this stage, nor there's a need to. Virtual Console is a good point, but youtube and browser are rather irrelevant, as I don't think anyone is really getting a Switch for youtube or browser - even if those are both applications I've used on Wii and Wii U and liked them.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
potato_hamster said:

Considering the paid online launches six months after Switch, I don't think there's not much to tell at this stage, nor there's a need to. Virtual Console is a good point, but youtube and browser are rather irrelevant, as I don't think anyone is really getting a Switch for youtube or browser - even if those are both applications I've used on Wii and Wii U and liked them.

This is 2017, and the online portion of a console is launching over six months after the console? Completely unacceptable.

Even then it still doesn't justify that these details haven't been laid clear. Nintendo has to know the answers to all of these questions already. There is absolutely no reason to be vague about this. No reason to give details at this time? Tell me, if you buy a Switch thinking that the online feature can't be more than $50 a year, and it turns out it's actually $250 a year, and that app that's required for voice chat? Ohh that costs $60 for the full version, and is only free for plain text chat. Would you feel decieved or mislead? Would you wish to know this BEFORE you bought a the Switch, perhaps? This type of shit absolutely kills interest in a product.

And again, what the hell is with many Nintendo fans acting like because they don't use a feature, that feature is totally useless and unnecessary. Great. You don't plan on using your Switch to watch netflix or youtube. Get your head out of your own little world, and consider the wants and needs of other people. As a father of a young child, my PS4 and PS3 get almost as much use playing pokemon, other cartoons, and youtube as they used for playing video games at the present. I would never buy a console without those features, as it's absolutely ridiculous for me not to have them.

potato_hamster said:
bdbdbd said:

This is 2017, and the online portion of a console is launching over six months after the console? Completely unacceptable.

Even then it still doesn't justify that these details haven't been laid clear. Nintendo has to know the answers to all of these questions already. There is absolutely no reason to be vague about this. No reason to give details at this time? Tell me, if you buy a Switch thinking that the online feature can't be more than $50 a year, and it turns out it's actually $250 a year, and that app that's required for voice chat? Ohh that costs $60 for the full version, and is only free for plain text chat. Would you feel decieved or mislead? Would you wish to know this BEFORE you bought a the Switch, perhaps? This type of shit absolutely kills interest in a product.

And again, what the hell is with many Nintendo fans acting like because they don't use a feature, that feature is totally useless and unnecessary. Great. You don't plan on using your Switch to watch netflix or youtube. Get your head out of your own little world, and consider the wants and needs of other people. As a father of a young child, my PS4 and PS3 get almost as much use playing pokemon, other cartoons, and youtube as they used for playing video games at the present. I would never buy a console without those features, as it's absolutely ridiculous for me not to have them.

What's unacceptable with it? I really don't get it. You could've said the same thing in 1997. I don't know why it's taking them so long, as you might expect Nintendo would be interested in charging for online since day one. You might expect everything isn't ready yet. The price is better to announce after you know what you get for your money.

Ok. You may have a little different situation than I have. I have roughly 20 devices in my house that I can watch youtube with, having only two might be a little different. Watching youtube on your TV is handy, I admit and i have done it every now and then.

Just buy the device after everything you need to know is announced. Can't be that hard. If you get the console before you know what online is going to cost you, the price can't be that important.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

bdbdbd said:
potato_hamster said:

What's unacceptable with it? I really don't get it. You could've said the same thing in 1997. I don't know why it's taking them so long, as you might expect Nintendo would be interested in charging for online since day one. You might expect everything isn't ready yet. The price is better to announce after you know what you get for your money.

Ok. You may have a little different situation than I have. I have roughly 20 devices in my house that I can watch youtube with, having only two might be a little different. Watching youtube on your TV is handy, I admit and i have done it every now and then.

Just buy the device after everything you need to know is announced. Can't be that hard. If you get the console before you know what online is going to cost you, the price can't be that important.

What's acceptable with it? Again, it's 2017! It isn't 1997. It's not even 2007. Online play has become a fundamental part of console gaming in the past 15 years. Can you imagine Sony or Microsoft announcing their next consoles and telling people they won't have any online services for the first six months? Fuck, Microsoft tried to launch a console three years ago that required an online connection, but here we are with people trying to pass off the fact that this is missing at launch as even moderately acceptable. If this type of shit isn't ready at launch, delay your console and spare yourselves the embarassment! It has to be obvious to you at this point that the launch of the Switch has been rushed. This console isn't ready. This platform definitely isn't ready. But fuck it. Rushing things out the door in the video game industry has never worked out poorly, has it?

So you're solution is to just wait. Maybe if you watched the video in question, you'd be able to list off a bunch of reason why waiting for this information could be catastrophic for the Switch.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
bdbdbd said:

What's acceptable with it? Again, it's 2017! It isn't 1997. It's not even 2007. Online play has become a fundamental part of console gaming in the past 15 years. Can you imagine Sony or Microsoft announcing their next consoles and telling people they won't have any online services for the first six months? Fuck, Microsoft tried to launch a console three years ago that required an online connection, but here we are with people trying to pass off the fact that this is missing at launch as even moderately acceptable. If this type of shit isn't ready at launch, delay your console and spare yourselves the embarassment! It has to be obvious to you at this point that the launch of the Switch has been rushed. This console isn't ready. This platform definitely isn't ready. But fuck it. Rushing things out the door in the video game industry has never worked out poorly, has it?

So you're solution is to just wait. Maybe if you watched the video in question, you'd be able to list off a bunch of reason why waiting for this information could be catastrophic for the Switch.

What does Sony and Microsoft not having online for six months have to do with Nintendo having free online half a year after Switch launch? You get to play games online and that's just about it what you need online for. Who really cares about the rest?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

It's a waste of time to argue with people who want/expect less.

bdbdbd said:
potato_hamster said:

What does Sony and Microsoft not having online for six months have to do with Nintendo having free online half a year after Switch launch? You get to play games online and that's just about it what you need online for. Who really cares about the rest?

Wait, back that truck up. What makes you think Nintendo is going to have a full online solution at launch?

potato_hamster said:
bdbdbd said:

Wait, back that truck up. What makes you think Nintendo is going to have a full online solution at launch?

Nothing, I know there will not be a "full" online solution at launch.

It was you who compared Switch launching with "Wii U level" online solution, or that's what I'm expecting, to competitors launching without ANY online functions. 

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

bdbdbd said:
potato_hamster said:

Nothing, I know there will not be a "full" online solution at launch.

It was you who compared Switch launching with "Wii U level" online solution, or that's what I'm expecting, to competitors launching without ANY online functions. 

But what makes you think it's even going to have a "Wii U level" online solution at launch. For all we know it doesn't have *any* online solution at launch.