By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Yakuza 0 Reviews: 85 meta

Polygon - 8

The problem with tough guy heroes isn't that they're done too often, it's that they're so rarely done well. In that regard, Yakuza 0 felt like a revelation — even in spite of some significant shortcomings. It keeps a consistent, strong pace, and it doesn’t meander through side streets you’d rather avoid. But more importantly, it’s just so damned cool. It's vicious and grand, but bears its heart and soul. It has fun without completely sacrificing its gravitas. And with Yakuza Kiwami (the remake of the first game) due out later this year, Yakuza 0 might be the perfect jumping-on point for those who have been put off by the density and complexity of the series up until now.

IGN- 8.5

Yakuza 0 is another sprawling entry in the open-world series, packed with an extraordinary amount of things to do and centred around a genuinely compelling crime story. Since it’s a prequel, it’s also unburdened by the series’ increasingly intricate backstory and thus far more approachable for newcomers than the last few Yakuza games. While its melee combat may lag slightly behind modern genre standards, Yakuza 0 still hits far more than it misses and is a big, bold and bruising tour through the Japanese underworld.

Destructoid - 9

Yakuza 0 is a stone cold masterpiece. Sure, it has some rough edges and there is probably more content then most people will ever care to see, but it runs well, looks great and provides a dramatic, well written and properly paced story that holds up even for people who have no experience with the series. If you’ve been looking for a chance to dive into this series, you would be hard pressed to find a better entry point. If you’re already a fan, then you’d be stupid to pass up on this game.

It features all of the best aspects of the series with very little of the negatives, making for a game that I’ll probably still be digging through by the time Kiwami releases over here.

Jimquisition - 9.5

Most complaints I could have are negligible and mostly revolve around a few of the chance-based minigames being frustrating and occasionally disheartening – almost all optional stuff, and even then it’s made up for by those optional activities that really nail it. Oh, and some of that questionable content can be a little offputting, even if temporarily.

If Yakuza‘s always been this magnificent, I’ve got a lot of catching up to do and a lot of “friends” to chew out for not recommending it to me sooner.

Gamespot - 8

Unless you have a strong aversion to violence, sex, or middling graphics, you owe it to yourself to give Zero a chance. Its story will surprise you, its inhabitants will make you laugh at every turn, and its ambitious scope will redefine how you think about open-world games. It's a fascinating adventure no matter how you approach it, and it’s proof positive that a game can be wildly inconsistent yet remain a great experience.

Gamesradar- 8

But that's been Yakuza from the start: a series which toys with dozens of ideas from all kinds of games, some better than others, and throws them into a blender and wraps them up in a deliciously pulpy, hard-boiled crime drama. On that front, Yakuza 0 delivers, telling a tale full of humor, heart, and dudes ripping their shirts off in one swift motion - and if this your first time diving in, you can't go wrong here.

Metacritic

Around the Network

Nice will pick it up first is Gravity Rush 2.

Another high scoring PS4 exclusive that won't exist come Christmas.

The PS5 Exists. 

For comparison:

Yakuza - 75
Yakuza 2 - 77
Yakuza 3 - 79
Yakuza 4 - 78
Yakuza 5 - 83

The series has improved critically with each main installment.

They need to remarke them all into a PS4 collection. So this would be the perfect point to start on Yakuza, then work through the rest? Or will it spoil the rest?

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network
pbroy said:
They need to remarke them all into a PS4 collection. So this would be the perfect point to start on Yakuza, then work through the rest? Or will it spoil the rest?

it's a prequel to the other mainline games, so it's the perfect place to start story wise

celador said:

Polygon - 8

The problem with tough guy heroes isn't that they're done too often, it's that they're so rarely done well. In that regard, Yakuza 0 felt like a revelation — even in spite of some significant shortcomings. It keeps a consistent, strong pace, and it doesn’t meander through side streets you’d rather avoid. But more importantly, it’s just so damned cool. It's vicious and grand, but bears its heart and soul. It has fun without completely sacrificing its gravitas. And with Yakuza Kiwami (the remake of the first game) due out later this year, Yakuza 0 might be the perfect jumping-on point for those who have been put off by the density and complexity of the series up until now.

IGN- 8.5

Yakuza 0 is another sprawling entry in the open-world series, packed with an extraordinary amount of things to do and centred around a genuinely compelling crime story. Since it’s a prequel, it’s also unburdened by the series’ increasingly intricate backstory and thus far more approachable for newcomers than the last few Yakuza games. While its melee combat may lag slightly behind modern genre standards, Yakuza 0 still hits far more than it misses and is a big, bold and bruising tour through the Japanese underworld.

Destructoid - 9

Yakuza 0 is a stone cold masterpiece. Sure, it has some rough edges and there is probably more content then most people will ever care to see, but it runs well, looks great and provides a dramatic, well written and properly paced story that holds up even for people who have no experience with the series. If you’ve been looking for a chance to dive into this series, you would be hard pressed to find a better entry point. If you’re already a fan, then you’d be stupid to pass up on this game.

It features all of the best aspects of the series with very little of the negatives, making for a game that I’ll probably still be digging through by the time Kiwami releases over here.

Jimquisition - 9.5

Most complaints I could have are negligible and mostly revolve around a few of the chance-based minigames being frustrating and occasionally disheartening – almost all optional stuff, and even then it’s made up for by those optional activities that really nail it. Oh, and some of that questionable content can be a little offputting, even if temporarily.

If Yakuza‘s always been this magnificent, I’ve got a lot of catching up to do and a lot of “friends” to chew out for not recommending it to me sooner.

Gamespot - 8

Unless you have a strong aversion to violence, sex, or middling graphics, you owe it to yourself to give Zero a chance. Its story will surprise you, its inhabitants will make you laugh at every turn, and its ambitious scope will redefine how you think about open-world games. It's a fascinating adventure no matter how you approach it, and it’s proof positive that a game can be wildly inconsistent yet remain a great experience.

Gamesradar- 8

But that's been Yakuza from the start: a series which toys with dozens of ideas from all kinds of games, some better than others, and throws them into a blender and wraps them up in a deliciously pulpy, hard-boiled crime drama. On that front, Yakuza 0 delivers, telling a tale full of humor, heart, and dudes ripping their shirts off in one swift motion - and if this your first time diving in, you can't go wrong here.

Metacritic

Dang!! Sega pulled one off?!

There's so many games coming out in early 2017, that it'll be impossible for me to get them all! Hopefully they'll drop down in price sooner rather than later, because along with this game there's Nioh, Nier: Automata, Persona 5,  Resident Evil VII: Biohazard, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Danganronpa 1-2 Reload and Zero Escape: The Nonary Games that I'm interested. I guess I'll pick them up during the holidays or maybe next year (except for REVII which my brother pre-ordered and Persona 5 which I wll definitely get by the end of the year).

Great yet another game for me to get....dang it Sony......these next few months are going to kill me.....especially if Tekken 7 releases in Late Feb/Early march like rumored smh.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Wow, im schoked, thought it would bé an average game ! Damn, now with this chicken vidéo ans this critical réception i kinda Want to try it but too many games to finish with Dishonored 2 and Gravity Rush i2 i must buy soon.

But what an insane first month in exclusive for PS4 gamers , Gravity Rush 2, Hatsune Miku , Yakuza 0 all turned out to bé great , just Digimon NO left , this One it would surprise me if it was good

And that just before february coming with NiOH

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m