By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Horizon and Zelda... a week apart? Will BOTW be overshadowed by the new Sony IP.

I will be playing...

Both Horizon: ZD and BOTW. 114 10.18%

Just Horizon. 290 25.89%

Just BOTW. 520 46.43%

I'm going to wait to see... 33 2.95%

BOTW first then Horizon. 120 10.71%

Horizon first then BOTW. 43 3.84%

Total:1,120
mZuzek said:
xl-klaudkil said:

Horizon passed zelda on yearly amazon rankings.
Not saying much ofcourse but still

I see horizon pulling of a uncharted 4 and sells about 5-8mill this year, literally every one i know that has a ps4(21people) got the game.

Breath of the Wild (Switch version) has disappeared from Amazon best sellers because it's been sold out for weeks now.

How can a game be sold out when its not  even released?  Soo weird..

And still Nintendo  fans can't  even just say" wow well done horizon " 

Such a shame!

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network
xl-klaudkil said:
mZuzek said:

Breath of the Wild (Switch version) has disappeared from Amazon best sellers because it's been sold out for weeks now.

Such a shame!

The same as how certain fans cannot talk positive about Nintendo, cough cough. Such is irony. 

Kuksenkov said:
Honestly, Horizon and Zelda are not much alike... I'm sure this "rivalry" was made up by the fans, and those graphics whores out there that will right away bring up that card to the table.

All I can say is that Guerrilla games did a fine job, and Nintendo's EAD may have done so as well. I'm personally not interested in either game, but Zelda's Switch Presentation trailer is BEAUTIFUL, and got me a little curious about the game. While I can't stand the main chick in Horizon, cause she ugly. So there you go.

Sadly it is the truth, you cannot like both, you have to pick a side, you also have to trash all other sand box games before it like Witcher. (This is my favorite genre, so it goes without saying I will love both, but it is interesting to see both sides be anti-other.)

xl-klaudkil said:
mZuzek said:

Such a shame!

If something is sold out, it certainly can't be selling then can it?

To be more clear, Amazon is allocated stock for an item. Pre-orders are sales, if it ran out of stock due to pre-orders then it has no more stock, is sold out, and can no longer sell and show up on the bestsellers chart.

xl-klaudkil said:
mZuzek said:

Such a shame!

I've already seen that sentiment many times, that Horizon has done well. As for why not in response to you, maybe because you have been insufferable in this thread?  Just call it a hunch.

With all due respect, you have been the one downplaying and bashing and side swiping more than most with a condescending attitude to boot.  So how about you take a look in the mirror before accusing other people.

Oh, and it IS sold out, it says so right on Amazon, you can see for yourself.  And while we are on the point of facts, Zelda does have 2 entries in the top 10, one right behind Horizon, while Horizon has one.  So yeah, means little.

And on a side note, I'm happy for Horizon, plan on picking it up, it looks great.  Just because I maintain that it is an unreasonable expectation for a new IP from a somewhat inconsistent developer to overshadow one of the most venerable franchises in the industry doesn't mean I hold the game to be poor quality in any way.  It's you and others who insist it seems that even comparing it to Zelda is an insult.

StuOhQ said:

MTZehvor said:

...there aren't a ton of people that will own both a Wii U/Switch and a PS4 at the time of launch. Largely different userbases....

I'm one. Most Nintendo gamers have owned a second console by necessity since the late 90s. 

Most hardcore gamers, perhaps. I don't think you'll find many casual gamers with multiple consoles. Bigger point, though, is that the install base for BotW will be pretty small at launch (~14 million Wii Us, maybe a million Switches in the first month assuming it sells well). Let's be ludicrously optimistic and say that every single one of those sales will be from people who did not own a Wii U (so as unique an install base as possible). That's 15 million people that could buy BotW during its launch month.

Now the question becomes how many of those 15 million own a PS4 as well. Let's again be optimistic and say that half of this group (7.5 million of the 15 million) own a secondary console. If the average PS4 to XBO sales hold for this crowd, that would result in roughly 5 million people owning both a PS4 and a Wii U or Switch (and this isn't even taking those who have a PC+Nintendo combo as well). On top of all THAT, you have to factor out the people that aren't interested in either Zelda or Horizon, and wouldn't consider buying one or either of them. So factor out casual gamers who are in that ratio, and the kids whose parents bought them consoles at Christmas, and you can see why the room for competition between the two games is relatively small.

Around the Network
xl-klaudkil said:
mZuzek said:

Such a shame!

Wow! Well done, Horizon!

...Not as special when it's solicited.

And it's not like Horizon was up against any considerable odds. Splatoon was up against considerable odds with many writing it off and it went on to exceed expectations.

mZuzek said:
KLAMarine said:

And it's not like Horizon was up against any considerable odds. Splatoon was up against considerable odds with many writing it off and it went on to exceed expectations.

What were these odds based on, though? Random people's speculation on the internet?

I don't know why so many people wrote Splatoon off back then, to me it always looked like a great game and I was sure it was going to be a success (obviously I didn't expect it to be the smash hit it was, but successful for sure).

As for Horizon... well I'm mostly a Nintendo-only guy and I'm hardly ever interested in any non-Nintendo games, especially if they're not on PC because I don't have any other consoles. That is to say, I'm not interested in Horizon because of my bias, but from what I've seen, it does look like a fantastic game and out of any PS4/XBO game I've seen, it's definitely among the ones that interested me the most, probably only behind The Last Guardian only because of how much I love Shadow of the Colossus.

I was skeptical and I recall a thread making predictions as to how it would sell. Low estimates in that thread and I recall looking at the YouTube Splatoon E3 premiere video struggling to get to a million. Took it some months to reach a million views which I interpreted as a bad sign.

Now it sits at about 4 million and the Splatoon 2 video reached a million in a few days.

mZuzek said:
Well I guess we can close this thread now.

Not until we see actual sales results. Zelda could still be overshadowed in the masses mind...

Seriously...

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

John2290 said:
FunFan said:

Not until we see actual sales results. Zelda could still be overshadowed in the masses mind...

Seriously...

True but if it is and I have not played the game here, I'm just impressed by reviews, The "vocal minority" will overshadow any words of doubt in just the same way it was for Skyward sord and Fallout 4. It isn't until months...or even years later that people go, that game wasn't all that great. I hope these reviews are true and aren't high for the sake of the backlash because I'm trying to conserve money and If I buy a wii U and this game is no less than above excellence. I'll be so fucking pissed. 

Can be said about many games and to each their own. Skyward Sword and Fallout 4 were poralizing since they came out, and I think Skyward Sword will be better loved when Nintendo releases a version without motion controls. I did thought Twilight Princess was overated when it came out and still consider it the worst console 3D Zelda. Also, I wonder if Horizon will be as apreciated when it looses its shine and if Rise of the Tomb Raider will be seen in a new light.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

John2290 said:
FunFan said:

Seriously...

True but if it is and I have not played the game here, I'm just impressed by reviews, The "vocal minority" will overshadow any words of doubt in just the same way it was for Skyward sord and Fallout 4. It isn't until months...or even years later that people go, that game wasn't all that great. I hope these reviews are true and aren't high for the sake of the backlash because I'm trying to conserve money and If I buy a wii U and this game is no less than above excellence. I'll be so fucking pissed. 

Or just get it on Switch. If you do get a WiiU, just know what you're getting yourself into. Or buy the game disc and look into WiiU emulation.